installing a graphics card

Sonic7145Sonic7145 Senior
edited 1:26PM in Bugs/Support
Well for xmas I got a new graphics card (I desperately needed one), and I'm now stuck with the problem of installing it. I took apart the case and stuff and found my current graphics card. It seems like I'd be able to get it out of the slot okay if I pulled hard enough, but I mean, should it really be this hard to get out or should it slip out easily? (It's a PCI-E if that makes any difference)

Comments

• VancaVanca Senior
    edited 1:26PM
    It shouldn't be able to 'slip out' :wink:. Usually you have to use some strength with hardware, but of course, not too much.
    Rawr
  • PAcifistiPAcifisti Members, Senior
    remember to take off the screw first :>

Mostly you just have to use some force, not too much and not too little. its kinda when it starts to bend you are using too much biggrin.gif
    keeper of the True Gaming Area
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    Should be a bit rough going in, quiite a tight fit. Remember the screw on the case, as Vanca said.
    Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
    - Richard Feynman
  • Sonic7145Sonic7145 Senior
    Well, yeah - I got the case off okay, but did you mean like a screw actually holding the card in place?

On another note... I just found out my computer doesn't support PCI-E, only AGP sad.gif So I have to go return it lol
  • PAcifistiPAcifisti Members, Senior
    well, thats another thing. I meant the screw that holds the card in place. It's generally noticed to be a lot harder getting the old card out if the screw is in place
    keeper of the True Gaming Area
  • Bleek IIBleek II Senior
    If there is a screw, and there should be, it's on the top of the metal bracket towards the back of your case. Also there may be a clip on the back of the PCI-E slot, as seen in last pic on this link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how...g_ram_and_cards
  • WackoWacko Senior
    QUOTE (Sonic)
    Well, yeah - I got the case off okay, but did you mean like a screw actually holding the card in place?

On another note... I just found out my computer doesn't support PCI-E, only AGP sad.gif So I have to go return it lol

They made an X800 All-in-Wonder that uses AGP; I think thats the best card you can get for AGP, otherwise you might be stuck with the previous generation of GeForce cards.
  • SchafSchaf Senior
    Don't forget to open that plastic clip or you might break something... should become a lot easier to pull your old card out then.
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    QUOTE (Wacko)
    They made an X800 All-in-Wonder that uses AGP; I think thats the best card you can get for AGP, otherwise you might be stuck with the previous generation of GeForce cards.

*ahem*
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....p?cid=3&id=2031

Currently the best card for AGP, even outperforming the more expensive 7800GS in some benchmarks. ATIs cards are outdated compared to nVidia's AGP offerings.

But in the end, you'd be better off upgrading to PCI-E, since even the 7600GT will only last you about 2 years before it will fall to the empire that is microsoft and DX10.
    - Richard Feynman
  • WackoWacko Senior
    QUOTE (MahaTmA)
    QUOTE (Wacko)

*ahem*
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....p?cid=3&id=2031

Currently the best card for AGP, even outperforming the more expensive 7800GS in some benchmarks. ATIs cards are outdated compared to nVidia's AGP offerings.

But in the end, you'd be better off upgrading to PCI-E, since even the 7600GT will only last you about 2 years before it will fall to the empire that is microsoft and DX10.

The GeForce only has a 128-bit memory bus and 12 instead of 16 pipes so it will perf... err, nevermind. Get the GeForce(!), it supports PixelShader 3. Slightly less performance on high-resolution/AA/AF but probably will last longer witg PS and VS 3.0 and DX 9.0c instead of 9.0b smile.gif
  • Parrot of WarParrot of War Senior
    QUOTE (Sonic)

I learned that the hard way too. In fact I also made a thread here about it. I finally got the Radeon x800 agp. Didn't install it yet though.
    *Anti-Ninja Squad*
    Yeah, heh. Well the current card I have is Radeon 9600 or something AGP. I bought an ATI PCI-E DDR 3 one, x1900 or something like that. Can you convert an AGP slot to PCI-E? Would it be cheaper than buying a graphics card fit for an AGP slot?
  • WackoWacko Senior
    QUOTE (Sonic)
    Yeah, heh.  Well the current card I have is Radeon 9600 or something AGP.  I bought an ATI PCI-E DDR 3 one, x1900 or something like that.  Can you convert an AGP slot to PCI-E?  Would it be cheaper than buying a graphics card fit for an AGP slot?

No you cant.
    sad.gif
    wait, would something like this do it?
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...Power_Supply#ts
  • HaVoKHaVoK PVKII Team
    No tongue.gif Thats a power supply hehe.

Upgrade your computer to support PCI-E or Return that one and get an AGP compliant card.

XVAAG.gif

oh lol
    well, how do you upgrade to support PCI-E?
  • WackoWacko Senior
    QUOTE (Sonic)
    oh lol
    well, how do you upgrade to support PCI-E?

New Motherboard. Which might make you have to switch CPU and RAM as well. Possibly even HD, if you get some borked mobo without IDE.
    Okay I see.

Well if I have an AMD Athlon, would this one work?
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in..._AMD_Processors

EDIT:
    nevermind, upgrading to a new motherboard looks a bit too complicated, and I don't have the money for a new computer. So I've decided to return that video card, and will go with one of these.
    which do you guys reccomend?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1130987962424
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1149208162690
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1157068455153
  • WackoWacko Senior
    The X1600 sucks ass, do NOT get it. The x1950 is awesome, for sure. Do you have a powerful enough PSU? The 7800GS is good to.. I think I'd go for the x1950, but it's a win-win whichever you pick, as long as you stay far far away from the x1600 smile.gif
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    - Richard Feynman
    Hmm, Wacko, I'm wondering on the x1950 though, does it support direct X 9.0? I didn't see it on the page. Why does the x1600 suck? tongue.gif Also, is there a way to tell what your power supply is?

MahaTmA, I'd definitely go for one of those, but I need an AGP one =P

Thanks
  • WackoWacko Senior
    QUOTE (Sonic)
    Hmm, Wacko, I'm wondering on the x1950 though, does it support direct X 9.0?  I didn't see it on the page.  Why does the x1600 suck? tongue.gif  Also, is there a way to tell what your power supply is?

MahaTmA, I'd definitely go for one of those, but I need an AGP one =P

Thanks

The X1950 supports DX9, don't worry about that, hah tongue.gif
    The x1600 sucks because it's really just a hotted up 9200 or w/e -- It's like having a 9600 card but with better power for shaders. (It says it has 16 pipes, which sounds great since most new cards have 12 or 16, but it really only has 4 physical pipes and then 4 uh.. whats the word.. uh.. virtual(?) pipes on each physical to help with shaders). But all you need to know is to stay away from it tongue.gif
  • MahaTmAMahaTmA Senior
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/12/the...oney/page4.html

Might I direct your attention a slight bit further in the article?
    - Richard Feynman
    QUOTE (Wacko)
    The X1950 supports DX9, don't worry about that, hah tongue.gif
    The x1600 sucks because it's really just a hotted up 9200 or w/e -- It's like having a 9600 card but with better power for shaders. (It says it has 16 pipes, which sounds great since most new cards have 12 or 16, but it really only has 4 physical pipes and then 4 uh.. whats the word.. uh.. virtual(?) pipes on each physical to help with shaders). But all you need to know is to stay away from it tongue.gif

Will do =P

QUOTE (MahaTmA)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/12/the...oney/page4.html

Might I direct your attention a slight bit further in the article?

Oh, lol.
    Well, I kind of need to be able to get one from a store near us, so I think I'm going to go for the GeForce 7800 GS. Thanks for the article though. I think after this one I'll just upgrade to PCI-E.
  • Bleek IIBleek II Senior
    WTF are you guys talk half the time? Are we trying to help this guy or what!?! Okay fist thing if you have an AGP slot yes you will want to upgrade to PCI-E. No you do not need to buy a new CPU, RAM, or HD but you will need a new MoBo! All you need to do is find a MoBo that supports all your current stuff but has a PCI-E slot. Well that is if your CPU fits in a socket 754 or 939. If it's an old socket A you will need to get new CPU, RAM, and you may want a new PSU and HD. This is because they never made a socket A MoBo with a PCI-E slot and you can't/may not want to put old hardware into a one of the new MoBos. The newest MoBo on the AMD side are the socket AM2 MoBos that support DDR2. So basically you'd be building a whole new computer.
    Now, if you ask me, I really think you should wait for the DX 10 cards to come out before go and spend $200+ on a card that won't even support the newest DX in a few months.
    And two more things. Yes the the X1900 and X1950 are both awesome DX 9c cards. And no the X1600 a overpowered 9200, LOL. The X1600 is a mid range card from this gen of cards and supports DX 9c. The 9200 is a low range card two gens ago and only supports DX 8.1!
    Architecture: X1600=RV530, 9200=RV280
    #Transistors: X1600=157,000,000, 9200=36,000,000
    DX: X1600=9c, 9200=8.1..........
    Well I could could on for hours but the Nvidia 7600 GT is a much better card for the price so there's really no point.
    Yeah, I Think I'll wait till the Direct X 10 cards come out.
    What I ended up doing was just buying some more RAM tongue.gif

thx very much for all the help ^^