Invulnerable Parrot

Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
edited January 2015 in Suggestions
Now that I have your attention...

Suppose it took two hits to kill a Parrot. It'd take 0 damage from the first attack to hit it, as an in-built dodge ability.

I suggest this because the Parrot is easier to shut down than any other weapon, and because of that, often fails to distract or damage opponents (me) for a meaningful length of time.

One can turn and aim in awkward directions to influence the Parrot's trajectory, but it often flies in an only slightly-curved line towards its target, making it easy to hit en-route. This is where I feel the extra life would have the most impact.

With more time to close in, a Parrot could reach and begin flying around its target's head (where its flight pattern truly makes it bothersome to swat) from even a moderate distance.

As much as I would despise such an outcome, it would also lend validity to the strategy learned fastest by new Captains. Bird, gun, reload.
8gQi4T5.png

Comments

• Combine™Combine™ PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 11:22AM
    Sometimes it could be your ping, it sometimes takes me 3-2 hits to kill a parrot since i hear the hit sound but it just doesn't register but my ping is around 220-250 as i play on European servers so i don't mind it at all.
  • FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    Talking about ping and parrots... I have been recently working on a custom gamemode that involves a lot of parrots, and I've noticed that when parrots target a player with high ping, they get laggy and hard to hit. It can be my gamemode but I have noticed it on normal servers as well. Don't remember seeing that happen a lot before 3.0.
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    While I agree that Parrots and ping don't mix well, that's not what I'm trying to discuss.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    What about projectiles?
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall
    Why would projectiles be exempt from my suggestion?
    8gQi4T5.png
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    There are instances where the parrot does a minor retreat in is attack and makes it hard to hit sometimes ending up you taking more damage than was necessary. Throwing it into a team fight is also useful. After the times I have seen both in regular gameplay and even something like gungame where parrot is generally the last level I feel it is in a good position. The indicator to let you know when you get another is great though I would like to see a way to be able to direct to who it goes to initially by looking at the target as you let it go.

That said, the parrot shouldn't always have that much reliability. I enjoy the aspect of it being used strategically and even with some luck.

Indeed about ping making it hard to take down be it from higher ping Captain (tends to warp around sometimes) or the target was higher ping (tend to have issues with things up close as opposed to far away).

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited January 2015
    I always try to use the extra swing the enemy has to make to kill the parrot to my advantage. When the enemy spends his attack to kill the parrot, it's a good time to move in with your cutlass and give a free blow without risk of being perfect parried. That or the opponent has to ignore the parrot. The tricky part is just releasing the parrot close enough to the enemy. Releasing it in the wrong direction helps sometimes too.
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg

Why would projectiles be exempt from my suggestion?

If I shoot a parrot with a crossbow bolt, It should die. With the rifle, same thing. Pretty tough ranged weapons, long reload. If I were to shoot a parrot with my crossbow and instantly reload, having the parrot alive would mean it not only soaked up a bolt but its not even dead.
    Shooting a Parrot with the rifle. Good one.

With regard to ranged attacks that would actually damage the Parrot, I'd say that they'd pass through it if it was the first attack, as part of that in-built dodge ability I briefly mentioned.

I use that Parrot-To-Face technique, though I use it to close in with the blunderbuss.
    8gQi4T5.png
    rifle=pirate, parrot=pirate (facepalm) I dun goofed
  • RihoRiho Senior
    As someone who's learned how to insta-cancel an incoming parrot, I think this is actually a pretty good way of solving that sort of thing.
    :parrot: Yo-ho-ho and a golden goblet of viking mead. :parrot:
    It's my steam! What fun!
  • NiveNive PVKII Team
    Parrots should just avoid making a bee-line straight to their target and then try and stay out of their target's field of view. Either that, or have it so they orbit more erratically around their target.
    Parrots are smart birds, and if you're going to spend time training them to attack strangers, then you should probably damn well sure they do it well.