Redesigning the classes - Idea

ActionFurmpActionFurmp Senior
edited September 2014 in Suggestions
Instead of designing 5 classes per team I suggest consolidating the classes down to maybe 2 or 3 per team. On the pirates you could get rid of the captain class and then give his shotgun to the sharpshooter. Which would buff the sharpshooter a bit. Then the Skirm could have options of either an explosive keg or a barrel full of parrots. Like 6 parrots. As a wacky way to preserve all that work.

Another way I think I've seen pitched here already is let's say you were to get rid of the Gestir. Then perhaps the Huscarl can choose between either a 2 hand axe or a spear for his main weapon. Throwing axes or throwing spears for his ranged weapon... etc.

One thing that would not be very fun is if this game starts becoming centered around purely group pvp. Or if, when the healers get added, a team *must* have a healer to be competitive. Or it might be the case vice versa. When the classes start getting niche roles I think it would just be impossible to balance for 1v1.

Right now classes sort of feel like they have specific roles yet in every 1v1 scenario the game feels balanced and rewarding.

Thoughts?

Comments

• AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited September 2014
    I don't know. Limiting characters would kill the idea of replay value, which is one of the key praises of the mod.
    You can always create a server plugin and create game settings for a more "competitive" approach by selecting specific classes and maps, as well changing their stats and even weapons, like in TF2's Randomizer mod.

Also, I think this should be moved to the Suggestions forum.

76561198031989549.png

• SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things Members
    edited September 2014
    I don't think having a choice in weapons is a bad idea, however, the idea of getting rid of a class even if it's to consolidate their abilities in another, makes me want to rip out the inside of my eyeballs. O.o
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz

• Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    edited 7:21PM
    Horrible idea i want more options not less
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Moved topic, this kind of stuff belongs in the suggestions forum, not general pvkii discussion.
  • Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    edited September 2014
    UberMann wrote:

Moved topic, this kind of stuff belongs in the suggestions forum, not general pvkii discussion.
    Arent pvkii suggestions and discussions basically the same thing
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    edited September 2014

Arent pvkii suggestions and discussions basically the same thing

Uhh... Why would the suggestions forum exist then? Also stop derailing the thread.

On-Topic: I disagree with that idea, removing or limiting classes is a bad idea for game like PVKII that is designed to be class-based. And like AGSMA said, it kills the replay value since every class has different ways to play. PVKII never intended to be a 1v1 dueling game, its team-based and different classes make all kinds of strategies possible with teamwork etc.
  • TenebrisTenebris Senior
    edited September 2014

No.
    76561198003714084.png
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited September 2014

2 or 3 per team. No.

Get rid of the Captain. No. Crew needs a Captain.

Give shotgun blunderbuss to the Sharpshooter. Makes no sense. Not all firearms are alike.

Buff the Sharpshooter a bit. Implies the class needs a buff, but fails to provide a reason.

Either an explosive keg or a barrel full of parrots. Pointless and if taken at face value, probably broken.

Get rid of the Gestir. No.

The Huscarl can choose between either a 2 hand axe or a spear for his main weapon. Throwing axes or throwing spears for his ranged weapon. No. Gestir is fine.

One thing that would not be very fun is if this game starts becoming centered around purely group pvp. Too late, it already is and it's glorious.

A team *must* have a healer to be competitive. False.

When the classes start getting niche roles I think it would just be impossible to balance for 1v1. False.

Right now classes sort of feel like they have specific roles yet in every 1v1 scenario the game feels balanced and rewarding. Is it so hard to believe that this is normal?

I could go into detail, but I'd rather not. Just this once.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • Snerik97Snerik97 Senior
    i think i have an idea. like if the gestir could get his seax knife sheat instead of a sword scabbard because that would make much more sense to me.