Do you want new classes after the MAA?

OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
edited 7:20PM in PVKII Discussion
I am particularly not sure about it myself because pvk already has a good feel with the present classes and Im not sure how healers (prob the only type of new class that can fit in the best), lords or stealth classes will play with pvk's style of gameplay. Maybe after the MAA's release the devs could test the waters with the healer classes for each team OR focus on other important aspects that would make pvk a better game. Like finally become a stand alone game or enriching the current classes with tf2 type customization: new weapons, BEARDS, crowns, triple eye-patches etc.

Or you simply just want to see all the planned classes come to life and you won't care of the devs never show their faces again around pvk2's development

Comments

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited 7:20PM
    OPlatypus wrote:

I am particularly not sure about it myself because pvk already has a good feel with the present classes and Im not sure how healers (prob the only type of new class that can fit in the best), lords or stealth classes will play with pvk's style of gameplay. Maybe after the MAA's release the devs could test the waters with the healer classes for each team OR focus on other important aspects that would make pvk a better game. Like finally become a stand alone game or enriching the current classes with tf2 type customization: new weapons, BEARDS, crowns, triple eye-patches etc.

Or you simply just want to see all the planned classes come to life and you won't care of the devs never show their faces again around pvk2's development

I love how passionate you are about this :) it's something we're thinking and planning out. Where do we go next? How do we invest our resources? In a perfect world we create the perfect pvk2, yet we believe in a not so perfect world, so we can get pretty damn close if we try. It will really come down to how well the public reception is of our next update(s). I like to be optimistic, and we've been preparing for success :)

I would love to see the game be built off the magic we already have with unlocks and new surprises, and if the opportunity is there to add more "quality quantity" in more classes etc we can try, but it's a hell of a lot of work.

Alas, the dream is never gone if you don't stop reaching.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• amirraz125amirraz125 Senior
    God. let the MAA come out atleast... For pvk2, It will take about 3 years per class.
    mxVai8r.gif
  • TenebrisTenebris Senior
    In my opinion, when our dear Frenchman comes out, PVK2 will reach the Holy Trinity, three classes for three teams. I would be happy with this, but if the Developers plan to add more characters I won't protest against it. I'm highly against TF2-esque cosmetics. I don't want PVK2 to become another Hat and / or business simulator.
    76561198003714084.png
  • shabbashabba Senior
    I would be pleased with a limit of 3 classes per team, and if this would result in the dev team focusing on other aspects of the game, i would imagine pvk2 reaching different heights faster.
  • Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    enough is never enough
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • Trojan•CliniqueTrojan•Clinique Be precise. A lack of precision is dangerous. Senior
    edited August 2014
    Take all the time needed to complete the tasks you have set.
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited January 2015
    My mind alights with a hundred thoughts in answer to that question.

I couldn't possibly write them all down, but yes, I want new classes. The depth of both the strategy and their characters. I want to restore my team mates, instead of cry uselessly for a healer that's not coming. I want a Backstab. I want to carry the drums of war to, and through, the strongholds of my enemies. I don't want the developers to just add the classes, I want them to pull it off like they've done it a million times before. I want people to complain about how over-powered they are. I want tasteful and refined cosmetics. I want this game to succeed.

But if the developers want to stop adding classes after the Man-At-Arms... I could live with that. Wouldn't want them to do anything they didn't want to do. I'm probably not going to cast any spells either.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things Members
    I would definitely be content with the Man At Arms, but I think without the extra classes PVKII hasn't accomplished its ultimate goal. Without them, it's more of just an updated version of the original PVK. In my opinion the new classes should be added, but definitely prioritize what you're able to do. If the team's in a better position to work on other things for the game, then by all means work on that.

I don't think PVKII desperately needs healers, but they would make the game SO much more dynamic. I do want to kind of imprint a forewarning though, if healer classes are added one at a time like previous classes, the forum will explode with balance threads again, and it might even happen if they were all added at once. To ease into that transition where the game has healers it might be a good idea to give the option to server owners whether or not healer classes are available, like a PVKII classic mode. That way, people can have the best of both worlds while people get used to the game with healers.

I'm certainly with Links though, I WANT the new classes, the new abilities, the new gameplay and etc. But definitely prioritize! If it's better to work on other things first, do that! Whatever will give us the most in the soonest timeframe in my opinion.
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz

I am pretty sure when MAA comes out, all those old players will come back. And pvk will become competitive again. Now, it's all just about the rank. Worthless thing that people care so much about.
    mxVai8r.gif
  • Immortal ZoddImmortal Zodd Senior
    I would like to see the lord class. The knight assassin is a bit far fetched but would make an excellent technical class (rename to rogue). I'd like to see a heavier hitting, brute pirate, since the SS's skinny ass doesn't weigh enough. Healers and mages seem to be missing from the world of PVK. They would expand the game dramatically. There's still a lot of potential growth.

May PVK grow the silver beard of an ancient king before returning to the great sea.
    edited August 2014
    5rgo wrote:

The knight assassin is a bit far fetched but would make an excellent technical class (rename to rogue).

The name "Rogue" generalizes and depreciates what the class does and is capable of. Assassin is fine. Rogue is more of a Pirate thing, and would appear to include both the Skirmisher and Sharpshooter.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited August 2014
    MOAR CHARACTERS, MOAR!

My personal opinion is that I'd love to see the next characters being released like Archer, Captain and Huscarl in beta 2.0, with a character per class, like the Buccaneer, the Clerig and Bondi. Cosmetics could be an option if they're done at the same style as the parrot colors, although very unimportant stuff like helmets and hooks would be enough. I'd love to see a recreation of the horny knight from Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky. In fact, I'd love to see more of this mod being based on Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky.

76561198031989549.png

• OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
    The collective answer from all of you was how I predicted. We ALL want to see the new classes, but if the new ones are released they would need to be released for the 3 teams all at once (because of the vikings got a healer and the other teams didn't it would go to the point that servers disable the class until others are released which kinda is counter productive). My question should've been do you think its worth the wait for the development of the new classes or should the devs focus on other things that would also make the gametthrive.

Because at the current pace the game is being developed, maybe new classes aren't that worth it ATM.
  • Immortal ZoddImmortal Zodd Senior
    edited September 2014
    It's a race against the time that the source engine has left to host a viable community. It would be helpful if there was a successor to the source engine, so pvk could bridge over and benifit from a fresh influx of players. I'm content with source, but without new arrivals the player count will diminish.
    Source games always crash. ALWAYS. "hl2.exe stopped working" - that problem is of course a common one, and it can occur in the middle of a fight or a match. I personally get mad when it happens. And it is impossible to fix... I wish pvk2 kind of you know, hopped onto another engine, if that's possible. :icon_knight3: :icon_yarrpirate: :icon_viking:
    mxVai8r.gif
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things Members
    edited September 2014
    Well Dota 2 recently made a switch to Source 2... Other than that, I couldn't fathom PVKII switching to another engine. It probably wouldn't be all that difficult. As you can actually take VMF files and export them as models and so maps could be ported. It'd be a tedious process. While I'd love to see PVKII switch to an engine like Unity, I don't see it happening. It seems with the Disasteroid release, some work was done on the Unity engine, so it is familiar to somebody on the team. The major issue is custom content. Source has that support built in. Making maps is a whole different beast on other engines. Unreal would probably be more friendly with that. Unity has an uber friendly animation system though.

They've already spent a great deal of time porting to the Source 2013 engine, which I'm waiting for, which I recently inquired about again in another thread, jumping ship and switching to another engine, not a good idea. Source 2 maybe when it's fully released. 64 bit support, DX11, multiplatform... Ah it's glorious.
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz

• Asuka★ShooterAsuka★Shooter Beta Tester, Senior
    edited September 2014
    A good amount of time I see few people playing, additional classes would cause some unbalance with so few players. Think what would happen to Last Team Standing maps if there were teams of like 4 people and one of them had medics lol.

A good amount of time I see few people playing, additional classes would cause some unbalance with so few players. Think what would happen to Last Team Standing maps if there were teams of like 4 people and one of them had medics lol.

The healer wouldn't contribute to the team's damage output and that team would lose. I understand your point.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • simumsimum Senior
    edited September 2014
    Of course I would like more classes, but I don't think they can be released one at a time anymore. Well, maybe the buccaneer and the bondi, maaybe the assassins too. Either way, there should be small bundles, like the 'leader update', with the jarl, the lord and a remake of the captain, and obviously the healers would all need to be released at the same time. That being said, if they want to stop making classes, now would be the time I think.
  • JizzlerJizzler Senior
    Bondi. Want.
    lMrr3YC.gif?1
    image,PVKII,white,black.png
  • edited 7:20PM
    I think PVK2 is at a good place now with classes. Each one is unique and plays differently, and more importantly each one can be a lot of fun!

As far as adding more of these "concept" classes... I would prefer a heavy layer of polish to the current game first before adding healer/assassin types.

Instead of adding stuff for the sake of adding stuff I think the most important thing to consider when adding healers and assassins is how much fun the gameplay is. Not just for the player of the class, but for their team and the enemy team.
  • schmidtekschmidtek Senior
    Question: In future you will make 3 classes per update(healers, assasins) ?
    I think it would be a good idea just to add one more class for each team just for balancing purposes. Knights could use a squire who is skirm like. Pierats could use a two handed class. Maybe something like a brawler. He carries like a piece of a mast as a two hander and uses his fist. His special could be he chugs grog from a keg on his back. At this point you would switch to fist for more damage, damage reduction, and maybe a vomit hazard when it finishes. Vikings could use a range class. A sling shotter would be pretty cool. Like old school biblical sling shot. Healers would make elder players near invincible unless you just made them be able to heal as a special, but make their special bar fill up quick.
  • OPlatypusOPlatypus Senior
    schmidtek wrote:

Question: In future you will make 3 classes per update(healers, assasins) ?

Most likely or else it would break the balance. Imagine just a horde of vikings charging in with defense buffs into a poor pair of archers. Although, when this update is 100% completed and polished I would call PVK2 to be a full game and every other addition is to enrich it even more.

I just had a great idea (at least in my opinion). Maybe we DON'T need a stealth/lord/healer class for each team, we could have one additional unique class that fits their team background and style of play. For the knights you could simply have a healer, since the knights are all about religion and holy stuff it would make sense that they get healed from greater beings. For the great norse warriors we could have the Jarl class that gives its team special buffs to aid them in battle. And for the filthy pirate dogs with their dirty playstyle they could have the stealth class that does stealth things that harms others and stuff.
  • Ukyo KuonjiUkyo Kuonji Captain Main Senior
    I still would love the 3 healers all at once.
    76561198022443233png

• schmidtekschmidtek Senior
    I wish pirate healer will be voodo shaman, no like this in Pvk2 Wiki.
    And Knight assasin as a women.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    schmidtek wrote:

I wish pirate healer will be voodo shaman, no like this in Pvk2 Wiki.
    And Knight assasin as a women.

I love those ideas as well. Gives pirates a darker side, and a female assassin unintentionally takes a jab at AC:U :icon_pirate2:

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    A voodoo pirate doesn't make much sense
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
    Short answer to new classes, yes
    Long answer YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    If you want medics and spies go play hat fortress 2. I'll play pirates vikings and knights.

Adding things (boring and familiar things) for the sake of adding things... Frankly, this is not a direction I'd like to see PVK go.

Problems from simply adding a Healing class
    -Too strong healing effect results in a supported veteran becoming nigh-invincible.
    -Too weak healing results in begging the question of why one is playing a healer instead of a combat class.
    -Balanced healing! (By some miracle) We have healing! But the gameplay isn't as fun or engaging as regular pvk combat.
    -Combat is currently balanced around no healers. Adding healers would result in re-balancing of nearly all damage and combat statistics. You guys are patient when it comes to update patches right?

"Benefits" from adding a Healing class
    -Fun healing! Game balanced around healing! (Double miracle and boundless patience waiting for the patch!) You are no longer playing PVK2. You are playing a game that has copied an overused mechanic that people seem to think will make the game better because "Game 'x' is good, game 'x' has healing. Therefore adding healing to PVK will make pvk good too!"

Problems from adding an Assassin class
    -Invisibility and Instant-kills are not fun for anyone but the killer.
    -Limiting either of these key actions in the name of balance only turns the class gameplay into "Wait around until I can do things" or "Suicide and keep trying to grief people"
    -Reducing Assassin insta-kill capability raises the question of why this is called an Assassin in the first place and why something more interesting wasn't added in it's stead.
    -Reducing or removing invisibility makes it useless and would most likely lead to a buff in regular combat abilities.. Why is this called an Assassin again!?

Benefits? Adding an Assassin class provides those?
    -With a full invisibility skill and instant-kill ability Assassins are added. This breaks the balance and leads to riots, looting and the burning of the PVK2 forums. :icon_viking:

I think before new and exciting classes that aren't "priests or ninjas" are added to the PVK universe, the developers should consider Goodbye's suggestion of moving onto another engine. I'm getting my hopes up for that new source engine! I'm sure it'll come out with Half-Late 3 or another Left More Zombies game! :P