lts_Colosseum (help me before its to late :P)

rbx775rbx775 Land Lubber!PVKII Team, Applicant
edited 11:18AM in Community Maps
So many years playing PVK2 are holding so many funny memories. As conclusion I always wanted to contribute something, by glueing together a nifty little custom map people would enjoy...
To keep it alive and running u kno'... just love. maaan.
But I never really had the patience or found the time (or the right workarounds/fixes for all the shirleyty valve tools...) and so poor little bobby dropped all his previous attempts.

Well, I installed PVK2 again a few weeks ago and was pretty suprised + happy to still see folks slashing and bashing around like mad man.
So I figured its really not to late for little bobby paying his CONTRRRIBUZEHRRN.

And itll be a lts map of course, since its the best mode. And it will be similiar to Arena, since its the best map.
Sry you're WRONG if you have another opinion.
(I also love other modes, but I chose "lts - arena like" because my patience with those mapping things still suck. Its easier I guess.)

So the main characteristics:

- A wide, open field with some obstacles on it.
- Those obstacles are rocks, wich also serve as platforms you can jump on.
- Those platforms are unevenly spaced apart from one another and getting bigger towards the map center.
- Thats because there will be a main platform located in the center. You can only reach it by using the smaller rocks as stairs. (only with jumping)
- No "underbridge" but some additional rooms behind the outer walls. (some of them will hold food + armor)

I just cant think of a good sudden death for it. Take a look on the screens for the basic setting/mood, maybe you have an idea. :)
But please consider that all the model stuff is still untextured, also the wall/ground textures are not final.
I consider myself a hammer dinah.

Colosseum4.jpg

Colosseum1.jpg

Colosseum2.jpg

Colosseum3.jpg

Im aware of that custom textures & models are not always welcome, since they blow up the size of pvk.
So, I'll do my best to only add very little and reuse it as often as possible without repetitive- ness.

Also: Is the name available ?
I searched for "Colosseum" on this forum... just to check its availability as a name.
And I found some old posts mentioning a certain Colosseum map. But I couldnt find the map itself or videos of it.
So is the name still unique ?
76561198011294480.png

Comments

• Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    edited 11:18AM
    Hey,
    Not 100% sure about the name, but I know there's a custom Colosseum map - but not like you described which seems like an interesting action packed map idea.
    How about start a map thread, with progress , and what you need for it to be done, as well as organizing tests with the community (We'll help too)
    I'm always elate to help to custom mappers and I'm sure our small community wouldn't mind helping out if needed,
    Good luck and welcome back, feel free to add me on steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/Cap1pvk
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited January 2014
    Arena maps like these seem to get good play time if done right, and if you know some admins etc.

I suggest try something else than the typical desert theme. Put this map on the moon. A villian's moonbase arena dome to watch his captured souls become one with death.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Feta Cheese map! :emot-awesome:
  • DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    Make sure to not make a archer/ss heaven map, cover cover cover.
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • Ragnarr LoRagnarr Lo Senior
    For all the people struggling to make a sudden death for last team standing maps, you guys should just make an extended sudden death time forcing people to fight until the end rather then dancing around like an jackass for the last 1 min of the map ending in a draw, at-least for the time being until you can think of something better to add in. :icon_viking2:
    ubaj.jpg
  • ThatOneBoxThatOneBox Senior
    BRING BACK BIRDS FOR SUDDEN DEATH....

PLS.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    Reminds me of the 300 map but lts

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    Boxxu1337 wrote:

BRING BACK BIRDS FOR SUDDEN DEATH....

PLS.

Well it is pretty easy to implement, even made that one for my lts map some time ago.
  • rbx775rbx775 Land Lubber! PVKII Team, Applicant
    @ cap1: thanks, and yes, thats the dedicated thread for colosseum, I will post progress rather frequently. I added you !
    I would love to have you as beta tester when its time for some serious clubbing :P

@ colonel sanders: true, its not really creative to do another sand themed map. but hey the moon idea would be something for the next one ;)
    I still love the sand / arena theme :P (Never gets old for me)

@ Gaz: Thats the perfect name for it ! So if colosseum is taken, I will think about it :D

@ Dinah: But but I love SS & archer. those are my favorite classes and I want to finally get some kills ! :(
    No serious, I will pay attention when it comes to provide enough cover, thanks for pointing it out.
    Also: I didnt wrote "hammer dinah". It was "hammer n.o.o.b." initially of course... ;p

@ Ragnarr: I really dislike that too ! very good point. I'll have a look into this...
    But.. Doesnt the server admin control all those timers ? even the time interval from "start of sudden death" => "round end" ?
    Also: great profile pic & sig... what movie is it from if i might ask ?

@ Boxxu: You mean the vultures ? I will look into it, promise ! good suggestion, thx.

@ Kokorono: Dont kill me pls, but I never watched 300. ._.
    I dont even have a reason, just forgot about it. Colosseum reminds me more of gladiators, tbh :P

some progress, if you dont mind:

Colosseum8.jpg

Colosseum6.jpg

Colosseum7.jpg
    76561198011294480.png
    @ Felis Catus: Oh you sneaky cat ! Didnt saw your post...
    -The easier to implement the better, ty ! :D
    76561198011294480.png
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    add killer monkeys that swing on the chains and then attack during sudden death!

badass.jpg

This is coming along great. Keep up the good work friend.
    edited January 2014
    wow, old videos of pvk are harder to come by than i thought. anyways, while it is brief, if you pay attention between :28 seconds and :45 seconds, yo ucan see the birds from the old sudden death. make it happen!

EDIT: wow, i forgot the link. Derp.

• Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    So, you like sand? Don't have a Sudden Death event?

Why not have sudden quicksand? Everything except the central platform begins to sink, while sand leaks through the ceilings and walls of the side rooms. Eventually, there would be nothing but sand, the central platform, and the people who jumped to it in time. People on the ground would be slowed, until they were completely swallowed by the sand.

I get the feeling that this event is too similar to Arena, now that I say it...

Plan B. A Tornado. No, several tornados. Made of sand, of course. Very painful.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • TurdsackTurdsack Senior
    I think the sudden death should be sort of related to what a Colosseum would be like in the ancient times and not too difficult to make (Maybe no swinging monkeys Crazytalk), but I don't really have any ideas, just saying that there shouldn't be any fatuous suggestions that rbx775 would have a lot of difficulty creating
    76561198043074776.png
    Something more themed? You mean lions? That was my first idea, but I deemed it too complex.

I must have forgotton to mention that despite disliking Last Team Standing with a passion, I like the concept of this map. Very king of the hill.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • FencerFencer Senior
    edited January 2014
    Dinah wrote:

Make sure to not make a archer/ss heaven map, cover cover cover.

Ranged classes benefit from open spaces. Cover helps melee classes avoid getting hit by ranged classes.

Edit: perhaps that's what you meant? Then disregard this post.
    you break all my thing you KILL my family, you knoeckd over my scanner
    @ Crazytalk: Thats just crazy talk man ! But it would be quite cool if they would throw brown lumps of ...fun&joy. at you ! ifyouknowwhatimean

@ Boxxu: thank you my dear ! :> Also thanks for the video... I totally forgot about those birds, but now when I see them...
    Well, I put them into the map just for testing purposes but I cant trigger sudden death since the server is waiting for 2 players and wont start the round.
    Im also a server command dinah.

@ Links: You wont believe me, but I tried EXACTLY that !(quicksand) I would LOVE this Quicksand approach, but here comes the sad part:
    It doesnt work for multiplayer. At least not without some down sides, because I have to lower the ground somehow...

-When the ground acts as moving platform I cant use displacements because they never can be entities. So I'd have to vertex-alter some normal brushes.
    -Even if theres a moving platform done with brushes, corpses will fall through.
    -arrows, throwing axes, spears, bolts, all of them wont stick to the ground when thrown. So that means you'll loose them if you dont hit rocks or actual walls. (Also implies that they wont bounce off of the moveable ground, of course.)
    -Also It feels very clunky in general, you will stutter/lag around when standing on the moving platform.

Making a second layer of ground and add the bullet clip texture to it, also wont work... since it also blocks the player... which is very illogical... rawr.

I really love the tornado idea. But the one with the lions is even better ! :P
    Just pretty hard to do, I guess... Well, I'll have a look into this. lol. 3 days and I'm already overdoing stuff... :D

btw: But you have to try it when its done ! :P

@ Turdsack: thanks, and yeah you are right, I actually want to keep the effort at minimum so the swinging monkeys probably wont make it...

small update: Im doing some more brushwork and also model improvements.

I keep an eye on the size of the map. lts_arena takes about 70mb
    I think thats a neat value to aim for since everyone loves maps that load as quickly as possible.
    Colosseum already has 45mb... not to sound nitpicky. Just keeping an eye on that.
    Colosseum9.jpg

Also did the phys collider as tight as possible. to prevent frustration when shooting past rocks.
    arrows_final.gif
    76561198011294480.png
    Fencer wrote:

Ranged classes benefit from open spaces. Cover helps melee classes avoid getting hit by ranged classes.

Edit: perhaps that's what you meant? Then disregard this post.

I atleast understood him this way, valid point that he made.
    Its currently so cluttered that a single arrow shot towards this stone forest, might kill everybody by bouncing off 1000 times.
    I think that is what dinah initially requested. right ?

:P
    76561198011294480.png
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    Looks neat so far! If you need any custom textures (for banners an whatnot) just ask.

How about going for a Roman arena feel? Trapdoors, wood paneling and throne up top would be neat.
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall
    Thanks for the nice words and the offer Dr. Cleric !
    And yep, there will be traps and some gates/pillars that will have a roman style to it, jep !
    And even moar ! yet secret ! MUAHAHA. suprises.

Unfortunately I had only a little freetime this morning and didnt progress much...
    nevermind. Its page 2. It needs pix.

Colosseum10.jpg

Colosseum11.jpg

Colosseum12.jpg
    76561198011294480.png
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    Damn you Gaz, Can't stop thinking about Feta cheese wheh looking at this thread.

When can we has playtest?
  • MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited January 2014
    rbx775 wrote:

I really love the tornado idea. But the one with the lions is even better ! :P
    Just pretty hard to do, I guess... Well, I'll have a look into this. lol. 3 days and I'm already overdoing stuff... :D

I think the tornado idea at-least is completely doable and something that has not been seen before. I think it wouldn't need anything else than just a good looking particle effect and a trigger_push tied to a track train entity. You could make random branches to the path and maybe even multiple tornados to the end of the sudden death to give challenge
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
    Miggog wrote:

I think the tornado idea at-least is completely doable and something that has not been seen before. I think it wouldn't need anything else than just a good looking particle effect and a trigger_push tied to a track train entity. You could make random branches to the path and maybe even multiple tornados to the end of the sudden death to give challenge

with birds
    edited January 2014
    Alright, okay, my plan B seems to have taken center stage, but I do wish to make a point about the quicksand.

The lava in lts_Arena is a square plane that covers the entire map. Once the event begins, it simply rises. Why couldn't something similar be done with this?

Regarding the tornados, a particle effect on rails was exactly what I was thinking. Something that sucks you in slowly from, oh... Anywhere? But quickly if you're too close, followed by swift, sandy death.

Additional idea. The tornado/s wreck the cover in all areas other than the central platform.

As for the lions, that'd require an NPC... If the developers can make a parrot...
    8gQi4T5.png
    Cap1 wrote:

Damn you Gaz, Can't stop thinking about Feta cheese wheh looking at this thread.

When can we has playtest?

end of this feta- err week ! hopefully. If I you send me some strong coffee :P

Miggog wrote:

Of course, wont be much fun without randomness imo. :D

The lava in lts_Arena is a square plane that covers the entire map. Once the event begins, it simply rises. Why couldn't something similar be done with this?

And there lies the misapprehension, it is only similiar graphic wise, physically its very different. Thats the crucial aspect unfortunately.

But yeah I ask that myself too... :P Why couldnt they do it more elegantly ?
    On the other hand: Its a 7 year old version of an engine, still based on the concept of a 11 year old engine.
    (Im struggling with forward rendering since I started this abomination. :icon_knight3:)
    Source back then was very "bakey", sudden physical changes only came with strong limitations, especially for multiplayer.
    I dont know how the current version of source is handling it. Portal 2 looks pretty dynamic...

Well, well...
    Tornado(s) would be the most unique and easy to implement alternative, imo ! :D
    But thats not final, of course.

Ill just list all the possibilities we came up with, starting with most effort:

Lions will be set free.
    tornado(s). ***fav***
    static "quicksand" + spikes coming out the ground.
    birds.

Birds + tornado would be also possible, dont really know if thats still reasonable when theres a tornado raging. lol... (just want to make boxxu happy)

If somebody wants to contribute => go and brainstorm some more sudden death ideas ! :P
    76561198011294480.png
    rbx775 wrote:

end of this feta- err week ! hopefully. If I you send me some strong coffee :P

Of course, wont be much fun without randomness imo. :D

And there lies the misapprehension, it is only similiar graphic wise, physically its very different. Thats the crucial aspect unfortunately.

But yeah I ask that myself too... :P Why couldnt they do it more elegantly ?
    On the other hand: Its a 7 year old version of an engine, still based on the concept of a 11 year old engine.
    (Im struggling with forward rendering since I started this abomination. :icon_knight3:)
    Source back then was very "bakey", sudden physical changes only came with strong limitations, especially for multiplayer.
    I dont know how the current version of source is handling it. Portal 2 looks pretty dynamic...

Well, well...
    Tornado(s) would be the most unique and easy to implement alternative, imo ! :D
    But thats not final, of course.

Ill just list all the possibilities we came up with, starting with most effort:

Lions will be set free.
    tornado(s). ***fav***
    static "quicksand" + spikes coming out the ground.
    birds.

Birds + tornado would be also possible, dont really know if thats still reasonable when theres a tornado raging. lol... (just want to make boxxu happy)

If somebody wants to contribute => go and brainstorm some more sudden death ideas ! :P

A TORNADOE OF BIRDS
  • AsmundrAsmundr Senior
    +1 for multiple tornados. But dont make simple whirlwinds, make them sand-storm-like and emitting lots of sand/dirt so even getting close to them hurts. also i would prefer not getting sucked by them, but that your movement speed gets lowered the closer you get to them. So there is bit more random and suspense factor whether u can still escape the tornado or it moves right closer towords you and sucks you finally up. What ya think?

Also I would like the idea that whole environment gets more "dirty" and fuzzy by all the sand flying around for adding more chaos and lesser ability to recognize the tornados :P.
    2yn.gif rnz.gif
    Beautiful panorama shot of the rock resort "Le Colisée":
    Colosseum_panorama_shot.jpg

Because we didnt already saw enough rocks in this thread, am I rite ?

Boxxu1337 wrote:

A TORNADOE OF BIRDS

lol, that would be actually pretty funny...
    With unconscious parrots whirling around in it n'stuff ! :D

Asmundr wrote:

+1 for multiple tornados. But dont make simple whirlwinds, make them sand-storm-like and emitting lots of sand/dirt so even getting close to them hurts. also i would prefer not getting sucked by them, but that your movement speed gets lowered the closer you get to them. So there is bit more random and suspense factor whether u can still escape the tornado or it moves right closer towords you and sucks you finally up. What ya think?

Also I would like the idea that whole environment gets more "dirty" and fuzzy by all the sand flying around for adding more chaos and lesser ability to recognize the tornados :P.

Yes, it should have a certain falloff, regarding to the vacuum power.
    And I think some colorcorrection + some particle effects would do wonders while they are whirling around. Yes to a little bit more chaos :)
    76561198011294480.png
    Im currently trying out some roma- touches. Pillars, decorations, and the main platform in the middle has a huge copper platform which will hold a dedicated emblem...
    When you fight on the main platform you are mostly busy focusing on your enemies, so when you are coming near the edge your footstep sounds will change from a metally *clonk* to a stone sound, You will then know that you are near the edge. This way it also has some functionality.

Overview of the current state:

Colosseum_overview1.jpg

Outer ring still got no hammer love
    76561198011294480.png