Lucid Dreaming Aids and a Documentation.

ThatOneBoxThatOneBox Senior
edited January 2014 in General Discussion
So for anyone who is not familiar with lucid dreaming:

A lucid dream is any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. The phenomenon had also been referred to by Greek philosopher Aristotle who had observed: "often when one is asleep, there is something in consciousness which declares that what then presents itself is but a dream".

(taken from wikipidea)

Continuing with the thread, there are a bunch of herbs and supplements (we'll call them aids) that are supposed to help you with attaining lucidity, controlling your lucidity and making your lucidity last longer. I will only be experimenting with two aids. I thought it might be fun to document my (if any) changes in my dreaming. I will first try each aid individually, and then try mixing them at the end.

The 2 aids i will be experimenting with are 'Calea Zacatechichi' and 'Silene Capensis'

To give a brief run-down of what these aids are supposed to do:
(these are taken from a lucid dreaming forum i frequent)

Calea zacatechichi (Dream Herb)

Calea is a plant native to Mexico that is used by the indigenous Chontal of the Mexican state of Oaxaca for communicating with the gods through dreams. It is also used to reduce fevers and gastronomic disorders.

Effects on Dreaming
This plant has been shown to increase the vividness and recollection of dreams. It has also been known to increase the frequency of dreams.

Take With

Time to Take it
WBTB, this is a fast acting herb that reacts as soon as it hits the brain, so it should be taken right before expecting to dream.

Sources of Calea
This plant can be grown from seed**
Calea is also found in teas

Other Side Effects
There are no known side effects for this drug.

Cautions
**This plant is illegal in the state of Louisiana, and there is legislature in Tennessee that is attempting to make it illegal.

Interactions
There are no known interactions with other drugs

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Silene capensis (African Dream Root)

Silene capensis is a root that is sacred to shamans of the verdant river valleys of the eastern cape province of South Africa.

Effects on Dreaming
Silene capensis is a root that contains the chemical triterpenoid saponins which promotes colourful, vivid dreams and aids in recall.

Take With
An empty stomach

Time to Take it
Because the alkaloids travels through the system very slowly one will not see the effects immediately and may take up to three days of daily use to have results.

Sources of Silene capensis
This is rarely found outside of Africa, however it can be grown from seed

Other Side Effects

Cautions
In very large doses nausa and vomiting have been reported

Interactions
There are no known interactions with other drugs

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

While i have ordered the aids today, they are not expected to arrive until January 15th (as in, 5 days from now.) So i will not be starting documentation just yet. In the meantime, i would be more than happy to answer any questions, or to ready anything anyone has to say. Feel to post in the thread as well!

And as for results, I'll be posting results in 3 day time periods. Hope some of you find this interesting!!

Comments

• cainsithcainsith Beta Tester
    edited 11:52PM
    Boxxu1337 wrote:

Cautions
    **This plant is illegal in the state of Louisiana, and there is legislature in Tennessee that is attempting to make it illegal.

Might rule me out then, Tennessee legislature always trying to keep down the common man around here.
  • AsmundrAsmundr Senior
    That sounds a bit strange to me. Im a bit familiar with lucid dreaming, since i had one myself and informed a bit about it in internet and even bought a book about it. As far as I know taking drugs (aids? oh really ^^) wont really help you to achieve lucidity. The problem isnt to gain "vivid dreams", it is more to RECOGNIZE them in your dream. So you will maybe have more cool dreams, but that doesnt help in what you really want, since you will still accept the "plot" in your dreams.

To my mind getting lucid dreams requires some mental preparations. So first its important to improve your memory performance to remember your dreams and make them more "consciously".

Second you must learn to scrutinise your environment as often as possible. Question yourself whether you are dreaming in the supposed real world. That way you transport your awareness into your subconsciousness and maybe are able to question yourself this in dreams too.

Third you need some sort of "trigger" to really are able to recognize the dream. Like the spinner in inception. I once was able to recognize the dream by looking in a mirror and seeing sort of distorting face.

MAYBE with these drugs you are possible to make the lucid experince keep longer becausee right this is the problem with these dreams. You just wake up to quick or change in a normal dream.

You see it's not that easy to do it and needs some "mental work" and you wont make such experiences from one day to another.

Last let me tell you smth corny. Dont dream your world, live it! ^^ But yeah flying and so on, isnt (afaik) possible in real world :D.
    2yn.gif rnz.gif
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    !mushrooms
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

• ThatOneBoxThatOneBox Senior
    cainsith wrote:

Might rule me out then, Tennessee legislature always trying to keep down the common man around here.

Awhhhh, that's too bad. You could still try silen capsis though!
    (I've heard it's far more effective than the latter anyways =p)

Asmundr wrote:

That sounds a bit strange to me. Im a bit familiar with lucid dreaming, since i had one myself and informed a bit about it in internet and even bought a book about it. As far as I know taking drugs (aids? oh really ^^) wont really help you to achieve lucidity. The problem isnt to gain "vivid dreams", it is more to RECOGNIZE them in your dream. So you will maybe have more cool dreams, but that doesnt help in what you really want, since you will still accept the "plot" in your dreams.

To my mind getting lucid dreams requires some mental preparations. So first its important to improve your memory performance to remember your dreams and make them more "consciously".

Second you must learn to scrutinise your environment as often as possible. Question yourself whether you are dreaming in the supposed real world. That way you transport your awareness into your subconsciousness and maybe are able to question yourself this in dreams too.

Third you need some sort of "trigger" to really are able to recognize the dream. Like the spinner in inception. I once was able to recognize the dream by looking in a mirror and seeing sort of distorting face.

MAYBE with these drugs you are possible to make the lucid experince keep longer becausee right this is the problem with these dreams. You just wake up to quick or change in a normal dream.

You see it's not that easy to do it and needs some "mental work" and you wont make such experiences from one day to another.

Last let me tell you smth corny. Dont dream your world, live it! ^^ But yeah flying and so on, isnt (afaik) possible in real world :D.

i think you mis-understand my friend. I was not implying that these aids (not drugs) will just simply make you lucid because you will take them. They are what they are, aids.

Effects on Dreaming
    Silene capensis is a root that contains the chemical triterpenoid saponins which promotes colourful, vivid dreams and aids in recall.

the colourful vivid part helps after you have attained lucidity. by having that, the idea is that it stimulates your senses more.
    the aids in recall part is pretty self explanitory.

Effects on Dreaming
    This plant has been shown to increase the vividness and recollection of dreams. It has also been known to increase the frequency of dreams.

both of these are explain themselves as well.

I'm sorry if you thought i was implying these just make you have lucid dreams. Really what i'm trying to gather from this expirement is just exactly how they affect the dream, and if they even work.

a-lot of people have different results ranging from fantastic all the way to flat out useless.

On another note, i've been into lucid dreaming for about 7-ish years now. I'm just trying to see if these things will what they say they do.

Dr. O wrote:

!mushrooms

haha, i have only ever done those once, but it was very interesting...probably wouldn't do them again though, i've settled down a-lot since then haha.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And i wanted to adress this, i would not call herbs or natural things 'drugs'. This is just my personal preference, i don't know if it is right or wrong and i don't really care, to be quite honest. The way i see it, 'Drugs' are Man-Made chemicals, like pills, morphine, meth, those kind of things. It's my belief that if it grows out the ground, it is not a 'Drug'.
  • AsmundrAsmundr Senior
    edited January 2014
    Ok, maybe I focussed too much on this “supposed to help you with attaining lucidity”, because I really think that cant be reached with these things.

A last comment concerning this aids-drugs discussion. I agree that these herbs or whatever can be aids but more specific they have drug-character. There is really no difference in getting high and hallucinations from another drug and getting more colorful and vivid dreams with these things. They both have a psychoactive effect. Though they can be (real) aids, such as morphin can be medical aid to depress pain or cure things but on the other hand can be used “abusively” despite the user don’t really need it in medical terms. RIGHT THIS is what you call a drug then. It depends on the aim of the use summary. Plus you mention it yourself in your first post "Cautions
    **This plant is illegal in the state of Louisiana, and there is legislature in Tennessee that is attempting to make it illegal."

But gl and hf with it and report us some results!

PS: morphine is a natural alkaloid, not "man-made".
    2yn.gif rnz.gif
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    Altered states of the mind are quite an interesting topic in general and there's a lot to be discovered science-wise yet. I would be careful with drugs though, by "drugs" meaning any chemicals that influence your brain in a way that changes perception.
    As far as I know you can distinguish between altered states attained by either chemicals or, the more interesting part I think, by other means, things like meditation and the like. And, as they say, the latter are the "true" altered states proving spiritual mastery, while anyone can use drugs.
    Drugs and herbs are not the same, that's true, However there are plants which are not necessarily called herbs or drugs but still have the chemical basis to act like drugs and also to do damage. So be careful with those ;)
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

• simiussimius Senior
    Caution is certainly required with every kind of drug. A specific dose of anything can kill you. Substances can be used as medicine for body and mind. As herbs can support you curing a inflammation they might help you to find lucitidy. I probably trust more in the herbs the Aztecs used hundreds of years ago than most of the drugs (regarding mental matters) you can get with a prescription in pharmacies.
    Meditation might reward you with lucidity, even with total illumation. Maybe not though. Why not use the capabilities we have? Adults should be able to decide on their own what's good for them after researching and accepting the included risks.
    With a "clean" state of mind - that seems to be the "proper" way, but I don't know.
    As a kid I learned to wake myself up when I got a nightmare or when I was expecting something bad to happen. I often realizied I was dreaming. I'm not sure how it is now. When I smoke the fine herb I usually don't remember my dreams. That's the case most of the time - one of the risks I accepted quite some time ago
    neither of these get you high. Some people report feeling "relaxed" after smoking or drinking a tea of the mexican dream herb, but many believe it to be a placebo effect. It has been observed that neither the herb nor the roots effect you in a way that alters your conscience. But thanks for the concern.
  • lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
    Why are you making a thread about Lucid Dreaming and jumping right for the different drugs and herbs that are supposed to help you?
    How about, I don't know, talk about the different techniques that one can do to achieve lucid dreaming and to stay lucid?

At the least, mention the NovaDreamer goggles, not the drugs lol

Here are some links for good websites with good information regarding the subject ;
    http://www.lucidity.com/
    http://www.dreamviews.com/content/what-lucid-dreaming-16/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream
    According to pvkii.com/forums,
    - Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
    - Archer isn't overpowered
    - Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    Or just go to Colorado...
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall

Why are you making a thread about Lucid Dreaming and jumping right for the different drugs and herbs that are supposed to help you?
    How about, I don't know, talk about the different techniques that one can do to achieve lucid dreaming and to stay lucid?

At the least, mention the NovaDreamer goggles, not the drugs lol

Here are some links for good websites with good information regarding the subject ;
    http://www.lucidity.com/
    http://www.dreamview...id-dreaming-16/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream

The thread is about how these aids effect lucid dreaming, the thread was not specifically about Lucid dreaming. The thread was created for the aids. If you want to start your own thread discussing induction techniques be my guest. This thread was made to document the changes (if any) they have on lucid dreaming.

On another note, i recieved the Calea today, but i won't be trying it till tomorrow.
    Okay, i have an update!!

Calea Zachatechichi is GROSS.

SERIOUSLY.

it really does taste as bad people say it does. I made a tea of it other night and i was only able to take 3 sips before i started gagging. I tried pouring a bunch of sugar into it but that is like trying to put frosting on doggy poop.

I ended up smoking a few Calea joints though, smoking it isn't very bad at all. The doggy poop taste is non-existant when smoking it. It is a bit bitter but still a smoother smoke than any Ciggarette or Marijuana. I was very relaxed and calm after smoking it, but it might have been amplifying the effects of the Kratom i had taken earlier, or it could have been from the Calea itself. Any-who, i can say that i had extremely vivid dreams that night. The dreams where hyper realistic and it was a mixture of strange, fun and off-putting. :P

I'll be testing more Calea in the future, but the Silene Capensis has arrived today, so i'll be munching on those tonight. :]
    (you are supposed to not see Silene effects until 3 days after you started taking it.)
    ((the most common method to take Silene is to froth it in water and eat the froth, but alot of users report mixed effects using that method. A method that has consistent results though, is chewing on the root before bed. So, i will be chewing on the roots instead.))
  • DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    All this talk reminds me of cap1's cyianide dreams.
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • ThufirThufir Senior
    jesus christ there are so many people calling calea a drug and offfering causion i want to smash my head against a brick wall please don't comment on things you have no experience with
    Thufir - Lead Dev Competitive Combat Collective PVK Overhaul
    CannaCon.Server@Gmail.com
    http://SteamCommunit.../Soletta4Charon | Me |
    http://SteamCommunity.com/CCCPVK | Server+Group Janitor |
    http://tinyurl.com/PVK-eSports  | CCCPVK Database |
    http://tinyurl.com/PVK-Stats | Vanilla PVK Database |
    http://Discord.gg/KX5H72R | The /b of PVK |
    https://www.youtube...._4h4189JmJ3k9Q | CCCPVK YouTube |
    http://cannaconpvk.site.nfoservers.com/ToxicPlayersGoneWild  | Trolls Getting You Down? Top Kek PVK Memes |
    http://wikiloops.com/artist/kcsn| Delicate Emo Heart Sob |
    I do not accept donations please support the PVK team.

• ThufirThufir Senior
    getting high on psychedelics is very differant from lucid dreaming
    Thufir - Lead Dev Competitive Combat Collective PVK Overhaul
    CannaCon.Server@Gmail.com
    http://SteamCommunit.../Soletta4Charon | Me |
    http://SteamCommunity.com/CCCPVK | Server+Group Janitor |
    http://tinyurl.com/PVK-eSports  | CCCPVK Database |
    http://tinyurl.com/PVK-Stats | Vanilla PVK Database |
    http://Discord.gg/KX5H72R | The /b of PVK |
    https://www.youtube...._4h4189JmJ3k9Q | CCCPVK YouTube |
    http://cannaconpvk.site.nfoservers.com/ToxicPlayersGoneWild  | Trolls Getting You Down? Top Kek PVK Memes |
    http://wikiloops.com/artist/kcsn| Delicate Emo Heart Sob |
    I do not accept donations please support the PVK team.

Hashi wrote:

jesus christ there are so many people calling calea a drug and offfering causion i want to smash my head against a brick wall please don't comment on things you have no experience with

Finally someone who gets it.
    Dinah wrote:

All this talk reminds me of cap1's cyianide dreams.

I remember that.....*shudder*
  • Immortal ZoddImmortal Zodd Senior
    Hey, It's Zodd. Let me know how it goes. However, being somewhat familiar with astral projection, I'd advice against it. Not because "drugs are bad" but because there are reasons why you can't stay there for very long. If you find it difficult to do without supplements, it means you aren't meant to go there yet. The astral is not perfectly safe as many people proclaim. If you do plan on going ahead, I suggest researching ways of protecting yourself from harmful influences that you may find there.
  • simiussimius Senior
    Do you want to tell me that caffeine and nicotine aren't drugs either? Those are all drugs by definition, no need to make a big deal out of it though.
    Boxxu1337 wrote:

Calea Zachatechichi is GROSS.

I'm reminded of me trying to orally administer salvia divinorum (divining sage/ magic mint). Aztecs probably kept it in their mouths for hours, I made it almost a minute, I guess. I decided as well that it was easier to smoke it even though smoking it isn't much fun either.
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    edited January 2014
    I smoked some salvia when it was legal here, it's pretty insane shirely.
    My dad told me a story about the name origin, something about virgin Mary was being chased by the romans and did an assassin creed jump into some sage bushes that saved her, Divine Salvation = salvia divonorum.
    But my dad talks a lot of crap so I don't know if its true.

I'm a practitioner and explorer or lucid dreaming and achieved them a few times in the past, one technique I use is looking at my palms before going to bed repeating to your brain that once you don't see them anymore it's a dream, thus raising the conscious level or at least attempting to.
    Another tool I use is sleeping with a 10 hour celestial white noise, which not only makes me pass out early than usual, but puts me in that REM sleep one needs for lucid dreaming.

Good luck with those experiences Boxxu, from my experience lucid dreaming comes when you don't expect it.
    Would love to see if those enhancements made a difference in your dreams.
    "from my experience lucid dreaming comes when you don't expect it." Isn't that the truth. The desire to experience such things is actually a huge source of interference with the experience.

It's best not to try to force the doors of perception open. Doing so is not only dangerous, but it's also not the most effective way of achieving the experience. Taking the long and thorough way is better. Ridding yourself of affliction. Your dreams will naturally be enriched. Afflictions weigh us down in dreams, in a very literal sense. Being able to fly in a dream is correlated to having an unburdened mind. It takes a powerful willingness to experience what is, and not change it to our desires, in order to facilitate a stable higher plane experience.

That said, I think people should be more interested in dreams. I think they are very important, and can even help us understand the phenomenon of death. The closest we can come to death is in our dreams.

And on another side note, that may or may not interest you - A more gentle way than drugs of encouraging your mind to open to these experiences is to meditate with the aid of a gemstone. Lapis Lazuli is particularily good. Jade, Amethyst, Sodelite, red jasper, and others may also help to stimulate your faculties for experiencing such states.
    simius wrote:

Do you want to tell me that caffeine and nicotine aren't drugs either? Those are all drugs by definition, no need to make a big deal out of it though.

I'm reminded of me trying to orally administer salvia divinorum (divining sage/ magic mint). Aztecs probably kept it in their mouths for hours, I made it almost a minute, I guess. I decided as well that it was easier to smoke it even though smoking it isn't much fun either.

i never had an issue smoking salvia. that stuff is crazy though.
    5rgo wrote:

Hey, It's Zodd. Let me know how it goes. However, being somewhat familiar with astral projection, I'd advice against it. Not because "drugs are bad" but because there are reasons why you can't stay there for very long. If you find it difficult to do without supplements, it means you aren't meant to go there yet. The astral is not perfectly safe as many people proclaim. If you do plan on going ahead, I suggest researching ways of protecting yourself from harmful influences that you may find there.

>lucid dreaming =/= astral projection

my friend, you are miss-understood.
  • DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
    edited January 2014
    The diffrences between astral projection and lucid dreaming are superficial. The biggest difference is how one enters the experience. In Lucid dreaming, you go to sleep first, and recover awareness during the dream, at which point it is said to be lucid. In astral projection you maintain awareness while changing states.

Perhaps I am misunderstood, but I havent misunderstood. :P *joking*
    5rgo wrote:

The diffrences between astral projection and lucid dreaming are superficial. The biggest difference is how one enters the experience. In Lucid dreaming, you go to sleep first, and recover awareness during the dream, at which point it is said to be lucid. In astral projection you maintain awareness while changing states.

Perhaps I am misunderstood, but I havent misunderstood. :P *joking*

eh....we have different ideas as to what astral projection are then. but, to each his own.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    Cap1 wrote:

My dad told me a story about the name origin, something about virgin Mary was being chased by the romans and did an assassin creed jump into some sage bushes that saved her, Divine Salvation = salvia divonorum.

Best post in this thread lolll the image in my head from that

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

edited January 2014
    Yeah somehow I don't think thats really how salvia divinorum got it's name. Haha, funny to imagine though.

I'm pretty sure it just means "Diviner's Sage"
    Cap1 wrote:

I'm a practitioner and explorer or lucid dreaming and achieved them a few times in the past, one technique I use is looking at my palms before going to bed repeating to your brain that once you don't see them anymore it's a dream, thus raising the conscious level or at least attempting to.
    Another tool I use is sleeping with a 10 hour celestial white noise, which not only makes me pass out early than usual, but puts me in that REM sleep one needs for lucid dreaming.

Good luck with those experiences Boxxu, from my experience lucid dreaming comes when you don't expect it.
    Would love to see if those enhancements made a difference in your dreams.

wow i somehow missed your entire post earlier, sorry. Anyways, yeah, like i posted earlier the Calea deffinantly made a difference, but i feel like the roots will make a bigger difference. I actually did a root last night and had super vivid dreams, but i didn't not report it because i'm not sure it was really the root. it's not supposed to work the first time you take it. i don't know about the white noise, i often sleep with rain sounds or ocean sounds, or sometimes a cd made by some doctor. (i can post that if anyone wants.) i've heard binaural beats work well, but they are just too strange to listen too, for me personally.

5rgo wrote:

"from my experience lucid dreaming comes when you don't expect it." Isn't that the truth. The desire to experience such things is actually a huge source of interference with the experience.

It's best not to try to force the doors of perception open. Doing so is not only dangerous, but it's also not the most effective way of achieving the experience. Taking the long and thorough way is better. Ridding yourself of affliction. Your dreams will naturally be enriched. Afflictions weigh us down in dreams, in a very literal sense. Being able to fly in a dream is correlated to having an unburdened mind. It takes a powerful willingness to experience what is, and not change it to our desires, in order to facilitate a stable higher plane experience.

That said, I think people should be more interested in dreams. I think they are very important, and can even help us understand the phenomenon of death. The closest we can come to death is in our dreams.

And on another side note, that may or may not interest you - A more gentle way than drugs of encouraging your mind to open to these experiences is to meditate with the aid of a gemstone. Lapis Lazuli is particularily good. Jade, Amethyst, Sodelite, red jasper, and others may also help to stimulate your faculties for experiencing such states.

the desire isn't an interference. in fact, repeating to yourself as you fall asleep "i will have a lucid dream. i will have a lucid dream." does nothing but INCREASE your chances.

i'm not sure what you're trying to say about the burdened mind, can't fly thing. you just need enough willpower and faith. don't TRY to fly. just DO IT. that always worked for anything i try to do while lucid. remember, it is YOUR realm. YOU are in control.

i agree that people really should pay attention to their dreams. all of the un used potential of them is a waste.

yes, meditation absolutely does help. i don't know about the gems, i'm never heard of meditation with a gem. sounds interesting though.
    edited January 2014
    When I say that the desire to lucid dream can interfere, I mean it in a similar way to how clinging on to thoughts interferes with going into a deep state of meditation. If you can't loosen your grasp of your thoughts, you are attaching yourself to them, and thereby not meditating. The reason why affirmations like "I will lucid dream" do help sometimes, is because they help to achieve the neccessary focus. I think that repeating any mantra before bed will likely have a similar effect. I personally haven't found affirmations to be very helpful.

As for the burdened mind thing, this is how I think of it: I've experienced flying in dreams on a few different levels. I've had dreams where I can float, hover or jump really high like im in low gravity. At this level of dream experience a high rate of focus has not been achieved yet, and you're likely to be in one of the lower planes close to the material plane. I've also had lucid dreams where I could fly or travel places instantly. It feels like being lighter than air. These dreams are most likely taking place on a higher plane that allows much more freedom from the physical laws that are characteristic of the material plane. Concentration plays a big part in lucid dreaming. Your mind is on a higher frequency when we lucid dream, than what it is when we interact with the material world. This, by the way, comes from the idea that everything is energy, and matter is energy that vibrates at the slowest rate so that it is crystalized into physical mass. The higher the plane, the higher the frequency of mind it takes to experience it. Focus at higher frequencies is easily broken. So: yes, the mechanism to fly in a dream is as simple as intending it, just like moving a body part, but to even reach the state where that is possible takes a large amount of concentration which can be broken by any kind of desire or aversion. They are like shockwaves that disrupt a calm, stable state of mind, at which point you will likely jolt back into your body.

Edit: Oh yes, and another thing regaurding dreams being our own little private playground. The material world is actually where we have the highest degree of the illusion of being a personal entity, seperate from others. The higher the plane you reach, the more you are connecting with other beings. It's true that most ordinary dreams are just constructs of our imagination. We might imagine a friend, and that isnt neccissarily that person, just a mental construct that ressembles them. But I think in some of the higher realms, we can indeed interact with other being's consciousness. One reason that supports what I'm saying is that I have had dreams where I've gone to places that I know were not designed by me, and I've seen beings that I could not have imagined myself. You can tell a difference when you experience those things because they are beyond what you have previously fathomed. As you ascend even higher through the planes, you become more merged with other life. At the pinnacle is Oneness, or what some people call God. I don't believe that God is a great term for it though, since many people have negative or innacurrate associations with that term. Either way, it's unimportant what it is called, but what is important that it is the absolute totality of existence as a single entity.
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall