Remove Auto Parry

2

Comments

  • yushyush Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    Manual parry should be on by default IMHO, AP should be an option.

    But whatever would be said in this topic, it would not change the dev's opinion.

    "Yo, boyo! AP would be on by default FOREVER" says capt'n.

    ARRRRrr...
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    yush wrote:

    Manual parry should be on by default IMHO, AP should be an option.

    But whatever would be said in this topic, it would not change the dev's opinion.

    "Yo, boyo! AP would be on by default FOREVER" says capt'n.

    ARRRRrr...


    Again, this would defeat its purpose of being there.... It is for new players so making Manual default and not telling new players you have to choose the direction of parry in accordance to your opponents attack direction would cause a large amount of rage in new players. Even more so than there already is with the current set up. Plus, I feel it would break the "Novelty" fun feeling when you first play the game due to excessive rage and death at the hands of experienced players.
  • SoloableSoloable Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    yush wrote:

    Manual parry should be on by default IMHO, AP should be an option.

    But whatever would be said in this topic, it would not change the dev's opinion.

    "Yo, boyo! AP would be on by default FOREVER" says capt'n.

    ARRRRrr...


    Well obviously yes. In this thread I was simply stating my encounters with Auto Parry and my opinions on it. Then I asked for other peoples opinions. I was in no way trying to force it or change what the DEV's make of the game mate. Just discussing it in general.
  • CrackpunchCrackpunch Senior
    edited June 2013
    If you don't like auto parry, play on a manual parry only server. IT'S THAT fridgeING SIMPLE.
    trolololsig.png

    Join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PVKANZ A group for Australians and New Zealanders
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited June 2013
    Dr. O wrote:

    Ping has actually nothing to do with auto/manual parry per se.


    I am not arguing that the ping issue is simply an issue of the parry system as you are already aware (because I brought it up before outside of this topic) that range increase from when players of large differences in ping face each other. Anyone who plays in these situations don't need to have their profession in this field to "see" the effects of things like range and timing of parrying become more critical. High ping isn't impossible to play (since you stated 100 ping, which is higher ping but high to me is 120+ and even then it isn't a bad experience until pushing 200+) otherwise these players not from NA wouldn't be coming to those servers all the time and do fine.

    Crackpunch wrote:

    If you don't like auto parry, play on a manual parry only server. IT'S THAT fridgeING SIMPLE.


    I am going to have to ask you to take your logic elsewhere sir

    Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!


    10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    Koko when you get the chance try the cl_smooth cvar out you may find the jumpiness of the models isn't too bad and its playable for you. Best thing about cl_smooth 1 is that all of your screen placements for models and hit box's will be in the EXACT place they should be. Completely negating any latency problems but giving some jumps of models but when the model jumps or skips ahead its in the correct spot. If im playing with players in the latency area's of 150+ ms, I can combat their high latency with this cvar. Haven't tested the full functionality of the command yet though because you can through the use of cl_smoothtime cvar change the time it takes to smooth out models after a prediction error happens allowing the server to predict the errors for you and correct them fast enough that the skipping / jumping models will be avoided.


    cl_smooth 0/1 (boolean) It defines if the prediction errors will be smoothly corrected over the cl_smoothtime time. If set to 0, the prediction error smoothing is disabled (same with cl_smoothime 0).

    cl_smoothtime 0.1 (float) It defines the amount of time the view will be smoothly correct after a prediction error. If we set cl_smoothtime to 0 (or cl_smooth to 0), our interpolation wont be 'smoothed' or corrected and we will see the actual position of the players. Note that this will cause a jump in the players movements, but they will be correct.
  • cainsithcainsith Beta Tester
    edited 1:54AM

    Lets put it like this. PVKII is a very chaotic game at best and that If you are a new player, having to handle with what's going on around you and attacking/defending the person in front of you, this will be frustrating for any new player . PVK is filled with many veterans and with their knowledge can drive any new player(s) away. Veterans know how the auto parry system works even more so than new players! Different combat systems create slight different tactics that all veteran players should all be familiar with by now (that's what makes you a 'veteran player' after all). When you start off in PVK you will go through many learning stages, The important thing to remember here is that you will learn attacking direction before blocking direction. I assume the PVK Devs do NOT want to throw new players into the deep end when they start off and so they shouldn't. Asking for default manual parry will gimp every new player which would seriously impact on the community's chances of expanding, for what reason? Because people don't like new people having a little perk when they start!? Like I said, veterans know how auto and manual parry works and the play styles that follow in the combat situations. If you don't like auto parry, play a manual server. You could also turn manual parry on a automatic server, do what ever makes you feel comfortable, hell I'm pretty sure manual parry has its benefits against auto parry when used correctly! Just do not preach manual parry to those who haven't even learnt the basics yet..


    PVK IS A BATTLEFIELD SON, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CHAOTIC. NEW PLAYERS SHOULD BE TAUGHT BY THROWING THEM IN A CAGE WITH A LION AND SEE WHO COMES OUT ALIVE! ( All silliness aside I agree with everything you have said here good sir!)

    Now on to my opinion of the matter. I like autoparry, I use it 90% of the time. I still know how to manual parry well and still use it from time to time. But I play with autoparry more because of the way my playstyle works. I like to jump almost all the time, zig zagging around in the air and whatnot while I play. I like to jump around and hit people and constantly stay on the move. Auto parry allows me to jump around and play more effectively due to the fact that I am not limited to my movement on the ground. With auto parry I can move and jump and attack in any direction that I want with the ability to parry almost any attack thrown at me from any direction while i'm in the air moving.

    Manual parry also allows for you to Defend yourself against multiple opponents more easily, due to the fact that you dont have to change directions to block someone. Because if you are focusing on trying to parry one guy the other guy will just hit you with the opposite direction. No matter what guaranteeing a hit basically. With auto parry you have the chance of being able to block both of them and better position yourself.

    With manual parry I'd have to literally be feet on the ground moving in an awkward direction for me to parry. I don't like to sit in one area playing DDR with my enemies just to fight. I like to be on the move entering and exiting combat at a quick pace. I do like however that it makes you think about the fight that you are in. Gives the mind a workout and shows that you have skill and take the time to learn something. Makes you think a lot more about terrain and backing your opponent into a corner or obstacle because it would inhibit their movement.

    All in all I agree with the blocking system needing a bit of a rework. Which should come at some point in time. But until then I think everyone should just get along and accept the fact that it is here for the time being.
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    edited 1:54AM

    I am not arguing that the ping issue is simply an issue of the parry system as you are already aware (because I brought it up before outside of this topic) that range increase from when players of large differences in ping face each other. Anyone who plays in these situations don't need to have their profession in this field to "see" the effects of things like range and timing of parrying become more critical. High ping isn't impossible to play (since you stated 100 ping, which is higher ping but high to me is 120+ and even then it isn't a bad experience until pushing 200+) otherwise these players not from NA wouldn't be coming to those servers all the time and do fine.


    Well first you question my opinion on the parry system by claiming my ignorance concerning the internet and now you say anyone can understand the effects of high ping on the game without understanding the internet. And you are changing the subject to range differences which is another issue caused by ping.

    High pings make the game unbalanced in many aspects, yet this is no justification for autoparry. The justification for it is its usefulness to newcomers and nothing else. If people keep on introducing auto-stuff (parry, aim, whatever) because there is ping, games will just consist of running around and spamming mouse1 until the day when there is autorun and autoattack.
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

    My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933



    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda



    5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited June 2013
    Dr. O wrote:

    Well first you question my opinion on the parry system by claiming my ignorance concerning the internet and now you say anyone can understand the effects of high ping on the game without understanding the internet.


    I stated it because they were capable of seeing the effects without having to have knowledge. I would've expected someone with knowledge to know this without having seen it. But you also state it is impossible to play with higher ping when I mention these players come on all the time and do fine and fight well. So yes, with all this I can see why I would question it.

    And you are changing the subject to range differences which is another issue caused by ping.


    No, you stated this:

    High pings make it impossible to play, this does not exclusively refer to the parry system but to each aspect of the game.


    That was why I brought up the range. Also you brought it again:

    High pings make the game unbalanced in many aspects,


    It does create some unbalance yes but not a whole lot can be done about this.

    yet this is no justification for autoparry


    It is a reason to not completely revert to the current manual parry for even other reasons stated already by me and several others here that you can read.

    If people keep on introducing auto-stuff (parry, aim, whatever) because there is ping, games will just consist of running around and spamming mouse1 until the day when there is autorun and autoattack.


    This would be a very quick way to get killed in PVK2 by anyone who knows how to use either parry method (in stable ping environment). So no. Having auto parry isn't going to cause a chain of events that the game will play by itself, that is some nutso conspiracy theory. Where did anyone say we wanted to add more auto-related abilities? In fact, I even mentioned the guard break to Dinah's post as a suggestion. I am up for compromise within an intelligent and non-arrogant setting, not a simple black and white.

    Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!


    10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    edited 1:54AM

    I stated it because they were capable of seeing the effects without having to have knowledge. I would've expected someone with knowledge to know this without having seen it. But you also state it is impossible to play with higher ping when I mention these players come on all the time and do fine and fight well. So yes, with all this I can see why I would question it.


    No you are confusing something here. Maybe you should read it again if you don't see your contradiction.


    That was why I brought up the range.


    I did not change the topic by saying that ping affects many aspects of the game, it is my argument against you saying ping justifies autoparry, because it does not. I did not start talking about range though like you did.


    It does create some unbalance yes but not a whole lot can be done about this.


    Another contradiction, I thought you want to cure ping with autoparry because manual is not playable.


    It is a reason to not completely revert to the current manual parry for even other reasons stated already by me and several others here that you can read.


    You should be reading more carefully, don't project other peoples' opinions from this thread on me:

    Dr. O wrote:

    It shouldn't be removed though, new players might not understand the parry system and still need to have fun playing the game.



    This would be a very quick way to get killed in PVK2 by anyone who knows how to use either parry method (in stable ping environment). So no. Having auto parry isn't going to cause a chain of events that the game will play by itself, that is some nutso conspiracy theory. Where did anyone say we wanted to add more auto-related abilities? In fact, I even mentioned the guard break to Dinah's post as a suggestion. I am up for compromise within an intelligent and non-arrogant setting, not a simple black and white.


    I'm still referring to "cure ping with autoparry" saying that you might be able to cure range differences with autoattack. If you don`t see my point here, forget about it.
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

    My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933



    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda



    5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

  • edited 1:54AM
    Attacking from a specified direction and Manual parry through WASD movement is something unique to PVK gameplay. But simply removing the current auto-parry system won't fix the game's combat.

    Things that need to be done before removing auto-parry:

    1.Improving the netcode for the game to alleviate highping-vs-lowping latency issues. (Or we can all just move to South Korea or Japan lol)

    2.Gestir thirdperson attack animations need to be fixed. (forward and back attacks from firstperson are still reversed.) And the sideways attack animations need to be more differentiated. (Also, they are generally are so quick that you can't even see which direction they may be coming from.)

    3.Tutorial systems, or even a gradual Auto-Parry to manual parry system needs to be in place to help teach new players how to use the PVK combat system.

    4.Make ranged characters more dependent on melee teammates... (SO WE CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE DAMN MELEE SYSTEM!!!1)
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited June 2013
    Dr. O wrote:

    No you are confusing something here. Maybe you should read it again if you don't see your contradiction.


    High pings make it impossible to play this does not exclusively refer to the parry system but to each aspect of the game.


    I don't think it is that hard to be confused by this. You are making a judgment saying it is impossible to play with high ping when I stated many high pingers come on the servers and play fine. I brought up range because you mention this:

    ...does not exclusively refer to the parry system but to each aspect of the game


    I did not change the topic by saying that ping affects many aspects of the game, it is my argument against you saying ping justifies autoparry, because it does not. I did not start talking about range though like you did.


    Am I to assume range increased by ping is not part of the game experience? That was why it was brought up since you put the general statement of gameplay and ping the table. Is it really that confusing because I don't think I can make it any clearer for you.

    Another contradiction, I thought you want to cure ping with autoparry because manual is not playable.


    You may need to go back to read other reasons I mentioned to keep auto parry than to shift back to the current manual parry by force or choice (while having this "nub" title lol).

    How is that a contradiction? I said:

    not a whole lot can be done about this.


    Nowhere did I say "nothing" can be done about all "imbalances". Auto parry, one of the reasons to keep it than to go back (again be it by choice or forced) to the current manual parry because manual is quite taxing if not a guess work against high pingers who already have a range advantage. Auto parry won't cure the issues with ping but it is helpful against it. There is not much else that can aided beyond fighting strategies or ping limits (which I am against).

    You should be reading more carefully, don't project other peoples' opinions from this thread on me:


    Because you are taking this quite personally when I brought out your "profession" in question in regards to how you felt ping worked. It has gotten to the point that you ignore the reasons why others viewed it shouldn't be a complete reversion or why they still use it after all this time (are these people nubs too?) and instead turn this into some form of pissing contest towards me regarding rhetoric that you seem to not understand.


    inb4 another "read better" related response


    You've seen me and other NA play with high ping. Are you going to tell me that it was impossible for us to play at all when you saw the results (this isn't some bad ass response, only to make a point about your hyperbole). You may feel free to go on our servers as well and ask the Europeans, South Americans, and Asians if it is impossible for them to play.

    ITS wrote:

    4.Make ranged characters more dependent on melee teammates... (SO WE CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE DAMN MELEE SYSTEM!!!1)


    I understand your frustrations after your topic regarding this for island but all ranged teams generally never win. Archers are pretty proficient against melee indeed but SS have quite the difficult time and is based heavily on the skill of both players. But that is going off-topic and everything about that I felt was said already in your post that everyone responded in.

    I have nothing against compromise again in regards to the current parry system as I said but forcing players or stigmatizing them is something I am against.

    Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!


    10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    You obviously don't understand what I'm saying, but I don't have time to waste arguing with strangers on the internet lol, so I'm out of this thread. Just note that it's you who started attacking me.
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

    My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933



    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda



    5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

  • DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    edited 1:54AM
    You are both nabs arguing on the internet
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • Trojan•CliniqueTrojan•Clinique Be precise. A lack of precision is dangerous. Senior
    edited June 2013
    I'm quite enjoying the conversation between the two parties... continue lads/Ladies!
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    just like the old times?

    anyways, above 70-80+ already is unplayable if you rely too much on your movement and timing
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy Authorized Creator
    edited 1:54AM
    popcorn.gif
    5GY1DFV.png


    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

    yP71cHI.gif

    Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz
    OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview

  • Ninja-ORCNinja-ORC Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    This is a moot point.
    76561197981087625.png They say there are no ninjas in PVK. I beg to differ.
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 1:54AM
    So as I see it, auto parry has distinct advantages as was outlined before in the thread, therefore it is unlikely that it gets removed. Let's see.
    1. New players don't have to immediately grasp the directional parry system in order to stand a chance.
    2. It allows players more freedom in their positioning, you aren't force to head in the direction you're blocking.
    3. It helps deal with ping differences, as manual parrying becomes difficult there.
    4. It allows players to be quicker and more agile, even in the most chaotic fights, by allowing them to get a perfect parry without first having to figure out which direction to block in.

    Which advantages does manual parry have over auto parry?
    1. Players can actually very easily and consistently perfect parry the Berserker's axe and sword combo or the Sharpshooter's dagger. Auto parry usually fails to do this.
    2. Players can choose which opponent to parry. This could be very useful when used right, say when facing two opponents who use uncharged attacks. One of them is near death, while the other isn't. You could try to specifically parry the nearly dead opponent in order to get a perfect parry and counter attack on him. Thus letting you focus on the other opponent completely once his buddy his dead.
    3. Players can try to anticipate an opponent's next attack and block in the corresponding direction before he has even begun attacking. This allows a player to use an opponent's attacking habits against him.

    It seems that overall there is no clear winner here. Auto parry is useful for quick and chaotic fighting. Manual parry is useful for a deliberate and slightly slower fighting style. The one major disadvantage manual parry does have though, is that in a hectic fight, blocking in the right direction is mostly guessing work. Especially the Gestir is very difficult to parry, because of his similar attack animations.

    These are the points that I could think of right now. Which can you add?
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited 1:54AM

    1. Players can actually very easily and consistently perfect parry the Berserker's axe and sword combo or the Sharpshooter's dagger. Auto parry usually fails to do this.


    Not sure about this... SS has random swinging making both have issues. Berserker's axe is dependent on who you are fighting. If they run in a straight line and melee you can perfect parry with auto/manual. If they jump and strafe in the air neither have the advantage of perfect parrying consistently.

    Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!


    10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

  • yushyush Senior
    edited June 2013
    There's one thing everyone seems to forget about - autoparry is not "autoparry" at all. It is "AutoPerfectParry". One way or another the player MUST block in order to avoid being hit. The PP thing should be learned in short tutorial imho, then the worse (IMO) option, which is AP, should be introduced. I think most of You, good players agree that Manual is way better and more effective than AP (except those that use AP for a reason - such as fighting style, as mentioned before) . Making AP by default just makes the people lazy and not knowing which way to block at all. When You learn MP and You want to be good it becomes quite intuitive which side You want to block in. More of that, when attacked by a couple of enemies You may choose the blow You want to PP.

    Having control over Your sword is crucial IMHO. AP does not provide that control.

    Also, i would not agree that AP is easier for nabs. I happen to learn some of newcomers how the parry system works and it seems it was more fun for them to PP themselves. Parrying at all should be a habit, and this is not due to AP, but to using RMB at all.

    As some of You say, AP and PP are just different, both having some Pros and Cons. And as for me, there should be a one button (listed in keymap) that turns AP on/off. That would cut all the discussion imho. And, of course - a tutorial and MP as default.

    That is my opinion ^_^

    Peace, bros.
  • DenshinDenshin Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited 1:54AM
    I believe neither manual or auto is any better, I might prefer manual now that I've had it for about a month and gotten used to it, but both ways have their strengths. I can't really even notice if the opponents I face use manual or auto, if I get parried I still get parried.

    It's more a matter of knowing when and when not to use a fully charged swing, using uncharged swings at the inproper times is a risk-reward.

    QUOTE (Trojan•Clinique @ Nov 8 2011, 08:06 PM)
    Denshin is a rather overpowered class.

    QUOTE (Lucas =) @ Jan 12 2012, 08:16 AM)
    We're currently working on making Denshin less OP.
    signatureopaquesmall.png

  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited June 2013
    Exactly, its a useless argument. The only thing that needs to happen is there needs to be a tutorial system option. Coding the single player tutorial environment wouldnt take so long. Problem is Grog bot isn't finished yet. So there would be no computer AI for the tutorial system, but AI isn't needed. You could just have a run through check list for the player to accomplish. It would explain direction attacking, the difference in weapon size and effect of size, the automatic parry system, the manual parry system and the different game modes. That is it.

    P.S.

    Everyone needs to familiar themselves with "Source Multiplayer Networking". Link to the valve developer website will be included. The cvar's ive talked about are metioned as are many more. It will help a lot of people understand why and how latency effects multiplayer games on the source engine.

    https://developer.va...ayer_Networking

    Net_graph.jpg
    Lag_compensation.jpg
  • yushyush Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    Yeah, that "model to entity shift" is a real pain in the ass for newcomers. Though PVK is not so bad about it, i remember Dark Messiah to have the biggest differences.
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited June 2013
    Ooooh.... I still play Dark Messiah Single Player. Multiplayer is dead sadly... we should get people together to play the multiplayer!

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/2100/?snr=1_7_15__13

    Buy and play the single player at least! One great story in that game and its a very fun game.
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    If only these giant spiders weren't in the game, I would have actually finished the singleplayer.
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 1:54AM
    Please try to stay on topic. I suggest you make a new thread for your idea about the Dark Messiah multiplayer.
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    I have been on topic. If you look at my previous posts you will see i've been very on topic. Yush just made a comment about how Dark Messiah (A source game) was effected in a large amount by what I was referring to. I just agreed with him and said its a great game. Not trying to say your wrong at all. Just saying the posts are on topic just a minor reminiscing but the topic is about the manual and auto parry systems and ping/latencies effect. IF this was carried on for a page or maybe two pages then, yes extremely off topic. Its more disruptive and off putting to try and regulate a forum like this. Not trying to start anything at all I was just making a side comment about how the game is dead. You should rule with a iron fist but also with a understanding mind. It makes for a better communal view of your self and the development team. Just please look at the rest of my comments and I think you will agree I have been pretty on topic except on saying how great of a game Dark Messiah is. If that is to much then I guess I must start a new topic

    I will say I am sorry for stating my opinion on yush's reference and start a thread about it, but please try to change your direction of forum management as these few comments should not be a main focus when they are based around the main topic.
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 1:54AM
    Sharpieman wrote:

    Ooooh.... I still play Dark Messiah Single Player. Multiplayer is dead sadly... we should get people together to play the multiplayer!

    http://store.steampo...?snr=1_7_15__13

    Buy and play the single player at least! One great story in that game and its a very fun game.


    Not saying these few comments are a problem, if they got more there would be a problem. I am not interested in ruling with an iron fist when it is unnecessary.

    So the reason I said you'd better make a new thread for this is because I see potential in the idea. Maybe even something for a future bro-out, or just something that some people of the community could do together. I like your idea enough to suggest you make a proper thread for it. Seems you misunderstood my initial post and I admit it was a bit short on words, so I hope this post explains my reasoning.
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited 1:54AM
    Much better received on this end now that you explained your post :D. This second post with a explanation makes A LOT more sense. I thank you for that!
Sign In or Register to comment.