laptop Shuts down

Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
edited April 2012 in Bugs/Support
Hey guys. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It's pretty powerful, can run games like L4D2, PVKII, blah blah. Anyways, I'm having a problem where I play games and after an hour or so it just shuts completely off. At first I thought it was over heating, but it doesn't seem to be that warm, and I ran a program that checks temperatures, and it doesn't seem to be getting too hot. I just want you guys to brainstorm some possible problems and post them. It runs completely fine before it shuts down, it doesn't labor under the load of the games or anything like that.

EDIT: I'm running windows 7, forgot to mention that.
A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.

Comments

• Pache94Pache94 Donald Thumb Beta Tester
    edited 11:14AM
    maybe its you're battery same thing happen to my year 09 vista hp laptop that im still using.... either buy a new battery or keep the charger plugin to your current battery that's what i do... my laptop can only last about 8 min without the charger plugin, sooner or later im going to have to buy a new laptop
    king_k__rool_by_biel12-d3f0vny.gif
  • PaladinPaladin Senior
    edited April 2012
    Try removing the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your Toshiba laptop press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like a hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your laptop on. Insufficient power might cause some of those issues as well. Take the battery out and power on your Toshiba Satellite with the charger only.
    2v2z7rr.jpg
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    Is it just instantly going black, or is it actually going through the shut down sequence?
  • Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
    Yeah, so... It's always plugged in when gaming. I'll try out what Paladin suggested, which sounds interesting. Didn't know about that. And for Peepeewilson... It basically "restarts". It doesn't come up with the logo or anything, it just goes black. Then it will start back up, and I'll get the black screen that has options "start windows normally" blah blah. Like 3 options or whatever. It would do that if say your power went out on your home PC, and then if you started it up after the power came back on. So maybe it is some sort of power thing...
    A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited April 2012
    Yep.

If it's not hot or slowing down prior to the crashes, it's definitely not an overheating issue.

Paladin is probably on the right track. It sounds like your power supply (brick on the cord) may be over drawing or something. You wouldn't happen to have a spare you could test would you?

If you're not afraid to do some surgery, I would also suggest popping the case apart and having a look at the capacitors/soldering points around where your power cord plugs in. If you see any black residue, busted caps, or cracked solder, you'll probably want to send it in to be repaired.
  • PaladinPaladin Senior
    edited April 2012
    If your laptop is currently under warranty, do NOT open it: it will void the warranty meaning you will not get it repaired/replaced/replace a component for free if Toshiba have a service center.

If your laptop is not under any warranty, you can open it and check to see if there is anything wrong with it and then you can send it to any computer repair service to get it fixed/ replace a component which is faulty.
    2v2z7rr.jpg