tw_hotsand

13»

Comments

• HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    edited 12:55AM
    Filefront is good too
  • DMXDMX Senior
    rapidshare.com was brillant at first but i believe you actually gotta purchase there now or you gotta do something else annoying that made me leave that website for good, can't remember exactly what.
    joker_by_tortillaturtle-d50i9ir.png
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    be sure to put it up on gamebanana ;)

slugsig.jpg

• UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited April 2012
    Alright, so Mediafire, it is!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Installation instructions (if necessary) can be found within the .zip archive.

Oh and if you discover any bugs, potential exploits, or think a certain spot in the map needs some changes to improve gameplay, be sure to make a screenshot of the place and then upload it here, so I can find and change it for the final version of the map.
  • chevronchevron Senior
    When player goes to the territory hl2 will crash. Id say thats a huge bug :P
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    How about using megaupload? Oh wait...
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
    chevron wrote:

When player goes to the territory hl2 will crash. Id say thats a huge bug :P

Hm? Which territory is the one in question? And do you see all the included textures? (Custom ones would be the flags, for example)
  • chevronchevron Senior
    edited April 2012

Hm? Which territory is the one in question? And do you see all the included textures? (Custom ones would be the flags, for example)

The territory on top at least, didnt test the underground one. It crashes after the round has started and player goes to the territory but just crashes hl2 not the server.
    It doesnt crash when server is waiting for players and round hasnt started. Timers show 252 which seems odd, maybe something wrong with them? I can see the flags.
    chevron wrote:

The territory on top at least, didnt test the underground one. It crashes after the round has started and player goes to the territory but just crashes hl2 not the server.
    It doesnt crash when server is waiting for players and round hasnt started. Timers show 252 which seems odd, maybe something wrong with them? I can see the flags.

Alright, fixed the odd timers.
    And about the crashing, did you also put the mod_textures_te_hotsand.txt into the same folder (the maps/ folder) as te_hotsand.bsp? I did some testing and the only way I could get it to crash, was when I removed that .txt file. It is important that you put that .txt file together with the .bsp in the maps/ folder.
  • chevronchevron Senior
    I see, thought i did but guess not. I just uploaded to my fast dl server both files but game didnt download that file from there just the .bsp.
    Seems you need to have .res file too that points to that file, ill make one and test again. It will be running it on the lighthouse server soon.
    Alright after the little testing on the Lighthouse server (thanks again, chevron!) I fixed some stuff, toned down the HDR and added some stuff.
    There now is a way to get out of the underground entrance which isn't directly connected to a spawn area. I think it will play better this way.
    And the underground area received some new platforms and some other stuff added, not much though.
    Also, since the surface area is the bigger, more obvious and therefore more fought for territory, I changed its capture time to 30 seconds for a single person. It was 20. In turn, the underground takes only half that long, with 15 seconds for a single person to capture it, but is of course less contested and somewhat harder to keep defended, since that territory is directly connected to all the spawns, has little maneuvering space and very deadly lava.

The download for this new version, the beta 2, as I decided to call it, can be found on the first page of this thread.

te_hotsand_b20000.jpg

te_hotsand_b20001.jpg
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    The new version seems to be missing the territory VGUI textures as well as the blend textures where the cliffs meet the sand.

badass.jpg

Alright, a new version is up. Beta 3 this time. I included the blendmodulate and the VGUI textures. They should work correctly now.
    Also new are arrows which help in guiding players to the correct exit of their spawn (the backside entrances are only there should the front side entrances be too dangerous to step out of) and I changed the capturing rates again. Surface territory now has 25 seconds, underground has 20 seconds.

Nothing else noteworthy.
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    Just played it and it was perfect.
    excellent job lad!
    edited April 2012
    Cap1 wrote:

Just played it and it was perfect.
    excellent job lad!

I'm glad to hear that! And thanks!

UPDATED to beta 4. Fixed that one viking spawn (the others seemed fine), tinkered with the lava a bit, it's more lethal now (but not unforgiving) and added some platforms to the lava bits of the surface structure.
    Oh and I fixed some wrongly placed pickups in the underground.

If you have any other suggestions or bug-reports, feel free to post them here.
  • MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    One player_start in viking spawn is inside a wall.

Awesome map anyway. :)
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    edited April 2012
    It's awesome! I will be hosting it, my server is "The House of Dr. O", and there's a steam group with the same name.

Concerning the map, imao the territory tags "A" and "B" are useless, I wouldn't have placed them, as well as I wouldn't have changed the team's banners. Imao those are the little things that mess up the game atmosphere. That's my little suggestion, but the map is great!
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

edited May 2012
    Sat down and got beta 5 done. There is a 3D skybox now, some changed scenery, some more player clips and some minor changes of the underground. This is probably still full of bugs and exploits, but I did my best to find the most obvious ones and get rid of them. It's very unlikely I'll be doing much more on the map from this point on. I see it as pretty much done and am if anything, only going to polish it.

As usual, you know the drill, feel free to give feedback and suggestions and enjoy the map.

te_hotsand_b50004.jpg

te_hotsand_b50003.jpg

te_hotsand_b50002.jpg

te_hotsand_b50001.jpg

te_hotsand_b50000.jpg

I really do wonder if anyone is even still reading through these parts of the forums... certainly makes it hard to get some actual opinions on the map(s). I have no idea if I am setting up the gameplay right/wrong entirely.
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    I haven't played the most recent one, but this current layout works pretty good I think. The lower part could maybe use a little more walk space, and possibly some more cover here and there to counter archers would be nice.

so yeah, people still read this forum.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Thanks a lot for your input! I am unsure how I might go about making the underground larger, as how the displacements are currently set up makes it very hard to get changes to look right, so I fear that may have to stay as it is. About the cover against archers, I think I could add some rocks here 'n there. And I've actually had an idea how I might want to change the surface cap zone. I don't quite like how it is so flat at present... that might also help against archers. Maybe.

And it's great to know the forums still get a bit of attention. :emot-awesome:
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Do you still have the narrow routes that encircle the map? I found people hardly use em.

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• anemoneanemone Senior
    edited August 2012
    I nominate for this map to be considered for Official selection.

Loved it straight up, I was expecting grail as havn't played all year,
    but this map works so well and is a joy to play.

Easily can see it growing with game play.

1. after time the extra routes will get used when people find new ways to challenge

2. the flag decals should be different (as they are),
    perhaps in regard a situation of pirate/viking/knight tribes
    caught out in some sand storm, or near some mining source...

why should they have the same flags as maps set by the ocean or otherwise?
    it puts this in a different worldly place within the same realm.

3. I want to play this again soon.

Input:

The lower capture is a little clustrophobic with specials being ineffectual as of the metal pole flag.

It would make sense as the lit area is a synthetic glow with no explicable source,
    that the flag shouldn't exist either in a material sense.

Though if you make this a holy point as the top and bottom align,
    maybe the rocks could be giving off the glow or the minerals they are after.

Maybe it is a colourful luminous radia-vescent crack pit they all want to mine.

Anyway, if not... then the glow should change with the capturing team hue,
    maybe I just wasn't being very observant.

:emot-awesome:
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
    anemone wrote:

I nominate for this map to be considered for Official selection.

Loved it straight up, I was expecting grail as havn't played all year,
    but this map works so well and is a joy to play.

Easily can see it growing with game play.

1. after time the extra routes will get used when people find new ways to challenge

2. the flag decals should be different (as they are),
    perhaps in regard a situation of pirate/viking/knight tribes
    caught out in some sand storm, or near some mining source...

why should they have the same flags as maps set by the ocean or otherwise?
    it puts this in a different worldly place within the same realm.

3. I want to play this again soon.

Input:

The lower capture is a little clustrophobic with specials being ineffectual as of the metal pole flag.

It would make sense as the lit area is a synthetic glow with no explicable source,
    that the flag shouldn't exist either in a material sense.

Though if you make this a holy point as the top and bottom align,
    maybe the rocks could be giving off the glow or the minerals they are after.

Maybe it is a colourful luminous radia-vescent crack pit they all want to mine.

Anyway, if not... then the glow should change with the capturing team hue,
    maybe I just wasn't being very observant.

:emot-awesome:

Oh I am seriously sorry for seeing your post this late (3 weeks late :c), I sort of didn't feel like putting more work into the map as whenever it is on a server, all I see is people wanting to rtv as quickly as possible, so I figured the entire design of it was unpleasant and scrapped the map in my mind.

About the flag poles, I know they don't quite fit, but I think I can't just leave them out, something hard coded I figure. But I am unsure. And I also can unfortunately not change the way the poles look, I think it's hard coded in PVKII, as well.

About the underground, the blue shimmering light is actually supposed to be from those veins in the rock, I guess I didn't quite get the effect to look right, but I am not really a texture artist, so that's a bit difficult for me.

And I am not quite sure if you mentioned this, but personally I don't like the current spawns I included, but I can't figure out a better solution at present. Or rather, be bothered to improve them.

Thanks a lot for your reply, though!
    So I actually got the chance to "playtest" the map on the MGN server again (thanks a ton onkeldagobert!) and have decided some things are still far from perfect. So here's a changelog for this version.
    Beta 6:

-Time needed to capture above ground is now 22 seconds, was 25 - Since most people go for above ground this is usually where stalemates appear which then drag the game on
    -Time needed to capture under ground is now 18 seconds, was 20 - Since this area is obviously less contested it makes winning possible even if you can't hold above ground
    -Removed cover walls from the food/armor pickups around the above ground to make grabbing food/armor riskier - currently way too easy
    -Added some wooden fortifications as well as some more columns around above ground - Archers and kegs are a genuine issue in beta 5
    -Made banners change based on which team captured which territory
    -Closed off siteroutes - People hardly use them so there is no need for them to even be there and possibly eat performance
    -Changed the under ground cap zone: now bigger zone, flagpole out of the way (no longer shall ye block mine specials!)
    -Changed underground entrances a little so having a fight in the entrances isn't as annoying (especially when your opponent is an archer)
    -Added ammo pickups right in front of spawns
    -Moved underground armor pickups over to the food pickups
    -Made HDR less intense
    -Added rocks to various places to provide at least some form of cover against ranged weaponry in otherwise bare areas

As usual the Original Post will be edited to contain new screenies and download link.

The screenshots of the changes can be seen here already though:
    Overview:
    te_hotsand_b60002.jpg

Reworked above ground:
    te_hotsand_b60000.jpg

te_hotsand_b60001.jpg

Banners change now! This is when Pirates control the above ground:
    te_hotsand_b60005.jpg

Entrance to under ground (Banner changes when team captures territory under ground):
    te_hotsand_b60003.jpg

Reworked under ground:
    te_hotsand_b60004.jpg
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    This is tiiiight.

I know things :D

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    HDR - less intense?

colors are absolutely awkward for me, using an ipad.
    Good job tho

slugsig.jpg