Manual block

13»

Comments

• ExedolExedol Senior
    edited 5:09AM
    I disliked auto-parrying when it first came through, I have to admit when we had manual blocking it was rather easy to abuse the whole thing and end up with ridiculous KDRs albeit with the occasional staring match, I did however grow to accept that the whole auto thing was probably better for both new and established players, if you're good at the game then you can dominate regardless of the blocking system.

Also Archer rape FTW :3

Indeed, 2.2 was a bit of stare off but I earlier said before that the game had potential for so much more. And then I went back to the roots of pvk2 a bit and noticed how it was near impossible to have a 'stare off fight' in 1.0 because the weapons were in fact all very deadly.. Even the skirmisher cutlass was so OP. Not to mention fun of just dropping that pirate keg using secondary and hacking it to pieces.
    As I said, pvkii used to be much more funny in the old days..
    And now.. how 2.4 is played at the moment by good players.
    SPECIALWHORE. This gives a whole new aspect to a game on the area where dinahs are actively sought for free specials to use on the better players. Now this tactic is valid and proper, but it is indeed so damn lame to the player who gets hit by it. And this is the best way to play the game currently.
    I think that 2.2 combat directional system was incomplete, but instead of trying to improve the old system they decided to almost completely scrap it by introducing the autoparry. Now this autoparry is no different in my opinion than the 1.0 parrying which has no directions. Of course in 2.4 if you have a wrong block you get more dmg, but if you have the right block it'll negate most of the dmg. The implications of this is that when you spam the autoparry button the enemy is going to have to hit you for a while... And that's a damn long time. I can talk on the phone while doing it -.-
    Instead of making this game challenging, fast and funny they have decided to focus in the gameplay in order to create a game that you can casually learn to get a more commercially piece of shirley.
    2.2-2.4 stare off? I think 2.4 is a little bit not more stare off, but it's like 2.2 without the challenge.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Senior
    edited March 2012
    I think auto parry was an attempt to make the game easier for beginners. The best games are easy to learn and hard to master. Imo, autoparry took out one of the central elements of the game. Obviously, by taking something away from the game, everyone is now equally good in choosing parry directions.
    It is as if you take away the supply system in starcraft to make the game easier for beginners. Yes it makes the game easier but also more dull. Showing the attack directions might have been everything beginners would have needed to grasp the system, we don't know. I would also argue that you would have an advantage if you dont need to rely on those arrows popping up, since that may distract you from other things going on.
    Arguments like "Everyone can do it" are not the point because I dont say it is unfair, I say it is bad for the game in itself. When discussion comes up about jumping, everyone is all over it "It would destroy the game", "It takes all the skill out of it". Auto parry is just that, it took a set of skills needed for the game away.
    Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, somthing to something, Yaarrrrrgh!
    I be pro grammar!
  • Trojan•CliniqueTrojan•Clinique Be precise. A lack of precision is dangerous. Senior
    edited March 2012
    Yes I would rather have the manual parry back. So satisfying to pull off super quick reflex parrys. back in the day. More skill required and you had some respect for the better players, who said " damn dude, nice parry! " would never get that in 2.4... More like " Oh it's Trojan/Rapid-Fire..... /quit.... Or " I can't be dealing with that silly reach ". And after all of the abuse.. I and a very small minority are still around now because we are loyal to the whole pvkii idea... And support the developers. Yes the gameplay has changed dramatically after update after update. I hate the orange box change over, I hate the whole fps issue, I hate lag and reach problems.

But no matter what they do, I'll still play. It's fun... It's lost the hungry competitive side which was ever so present in 2.1/2 but it's still fun and its enjoyable.... I understand the benefits of auto parry for beginners, making the game easier and more appealing to the younger generation. May not agree to it.... But I am not a quitter, I believe pvkii will become something special one day. Just hope to see some familiar faces around when that day comes ;)

Happy auto parrying Dinahs

/rage quit.
  • ExedolExedol Senior
    It's gonna roughly take a six to seven more years for the completion of this game if developers continue at the same pace.But I don't think I'm going to be around when that happens since the next update will decide whether I play the game anymore or not.
  • DMXDMX Senior
    edited March 2012
    I just thought I should show some footage of how it looks like when you're rate-fridgeing or having an advantage

My Rate : 30.000 - cl_cmdrate 30 cl_updaterate 60 - 20 ( 35-45 ms, 20 ping) as Heavy Knight

His rates : 30.000 - cl_cmdrate 100 cl_updaterate 100 ( 70-85 ms) 60 ping) as Berserker

Video 1 shows a compilation of moments that were in my eyes worth seeing.
    Video 2 shows a 10 minute gameplay through the eyes of the berserker, I myself only recorded 5 minutes where around 2.44 minutes are in that compilation. But as you can see on video 2, the berserker gets sometimes hit way out of reach.

But as you can see it's very easily to just walk into someone get a full hit out of him and dodge out of reach or you know, get the usual time to block to reduce his damage. Usually that isn't possible when you're not having an advantage. Not to mention the times he was flying away was just absurd.
    joker_by_tortillaturtle-d50i9ir.png
  • DMXDMX Senior
    Anyways, that whole flying thing has to be changed no doubt.
    joker_by_tortillaturtle-d50i9ir.png
  • ExedolExedol Senior
    Rates are just sooo funny in this game.