Comments

• Wampen!WammeWampen!Wamme Senior
    edited January 2012
    good job!!!
    icon_agapirate.gif
    2935_0.jpg
  • BanokBanok Senior
    edited 4:25AM
    I'm really glad I dont really play source games anymore.
  • edited 4:25AM
    Currently Lego's server ( iG arena/cathedral and the Trinket wars server) has a rate restriction of 10.000 or atleast, you aren't allowed to change the rates to under 10.000 while in the server which is good to prevent people from changing their rates to 7500. I would like to ask anyone if they see a difference between switching from their standard rate or rate 30.000 to rate 7500.

In my experience it gives you a much better hit regristration, you're most likely to hit more, you max out damage more than the usual rate 30.000 and you get a bigger reach. All of that, on a choke of 70-80. In my experience, people take heavily advantage over this because it really, really makes it easier for them. You do less hit regristrations on them, because they aren't on the location where they are supposed to be. They do take hits on you and manage to get out of reach before you can strike because you simply don't expect those kind of people to hit you from that far. I believe it also gives them an advantage when it comes to timing, when you are nearly dead, someone can easily jump into you and kill you quicker because their position isn't displayed correctly. The rates give a certain amount of lag aswell which makes people flying when i kill them. Like they were being hit by a train or something. It just doesn't seem to be right.

Another question though,

Did you developers really look into the OB enough? Is the game of today, the cause of OB? I'm in no position to tell you guys what you did wrong or how you guys could have made the whole progress better but I'm just curious on how a game that first used to be really smooth, no choppyness, no problems with hit regs, no rate abusing, no heavy ping reach differences could have turned into a game that is having issues with all of those mentioned. I don't know much about the Orange Box and i haven't ever looked into it and probably never will, I'm just wondering if everything that has been done, has been done in the right way. And even if it has been done in the right way, could it have been better? Would there be perhaps methods to like decrease the amount of choppyness or just anything by simply changing the way you developed it? There are several things that can be different regarding the hitboxes and hit regristration and There fo'sure would be methods to like mabye make the game better both in performance and gameplay wise(hitboxes,regs etc)

Reason of why i'm starting about this is because it's ruining the game, It doesn't matter what fps or ping i have, it's just very buggy, not to mention people flying around like crazy aswell when being hit. Question is, why haven't you bothered looking into this? Isn't there a way to like adjust the rates for everyone to just avoid this? I remember my rates used to be standard 10.000 when i never used them, it gave me a huge disadvantage in 2.3, isn't there something you devs can do to make this game less bullshirleyty like it used to be in 2.2.?

Another thing i saw from the 2.3 changelog is this little thing.

Significantly reduced the push back from stuns so it can't be used for jumping out of melee range anymore

About that, It has been made in a way now that you can't possibly get out of reach if the HK instantly uses his counter-attackt. The HK's counter-attack is too fast, I don't really understand why someone shouldn't be able to jump backwards when stunned, you can't possibly get out of reach when a HK instantly hits atm. You also can't continue bhopping after you jumped backwards so it's not like someone would be able to bunnyhop backwards like WAY out of reach. Just like in 2.2, there were still alot of moments that people failed to jump backwards properly and just died. In this case everything has been made slower, you cant bunnyhop anymore and because of those two you won't fly away far and too much out of reach, so what's the big deal?

Anyways, this is just a small thought, I have alot of other things to discuss and might aswell use this thread for it, One of my question is pointed towards the developers and I hope i can get a legit answer and you know, just tell me more about it and mabye why the developers have this mindset about that everything is working just fine, that performance is just fine, because it clearly isn't and you would know if you were a casual player who has been playing for quite a while, yet again, I don't play on US servers so i don't exactly know what's going on there and how people are having trouble with the mentioned issues, all I know is that it seems to be much easier to play on US servers because of people not fridgeing around and just, you know, playing normal with normal rates, though it's pretty hard to fight good people on a ping of 130 or so, which is good, instead of the usual 2.2 that sort of gave you like 50% advantage, 50% disadvantage, some times more than the other depending on who you fought, but yea, that's it.
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    didnt_read_chicken_black_man_gif.gif
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • edited February 2012
    I'm not surprised, I guess you're not the only developer who doesn't bother reading suggestions and feedback ;)

And you must be very busy developing this game, right?

teehee
  • Ninja-ORCNinja-ORC Senior
    edited March 2012
    So from all this discussion can we get a clear view on what rates we should have based on ping etc. Cause I never mess with that stuff but im curious about it. I looked at my rates on SBP island and it says rate 9999, with cl_updaterate:66,cl_cmdrate:66 and cl_interp:0.029999(whatever the hell that shirley is). I never messed with this and last time their was enforced rates was when gheed owned gentlemans. So all im saying is someone in here say what should be good equal rates for all.(someone who actually knows what their talking about)
    76561197981087625.png They say there are no ninjas in PVK. I beg to differ.
  • PerspectivePerspective Senior
    eggzor wrote:

standard rates all day nigga

this
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    edited March 2012
    Ninja-ORC wrote:

So from all this discussion can we get a clear view on what rates we should have based on ping etc. Cause I never mess with that stuff but im curious about it. I looked at my rates on SBP island and it says rate 9999, with cl_updaterate:66,cl_cmdrate:66 and cl_interp:0.029999(whatever the hell that shirley is). I never messed with this and last time their was enforced rates was when gheed owned gentlemans. So all im saying is someone in here say what should be good equal rates for all.(someone who actually knows what their talking about)

As far as I'm aware:

"rate" is how fast you download info from the server, therfore corresponds to your network speed, and as such should ideally be 100000 (nobody uses dialup anymore) but on a lot of servers it's limited so 30000 is a good value on those. I find using anything other than multiples of 10000 gives weird results

cl_updaterate should be equal to the tickrate of the server. Unfortunately, if the server is enforcing default rates, sv_maxupdaterate will be 60 instead of the 66 (or 100 for a couple servers) it should be, and you won't be able to set it properly. Just avoid these servers, I haven't found a good server that didn't enforce any rates yet.

if cl_cmdrate isn't equal to cl_updaterate you will get choke, but if cl_cmdrate is higher than your fps you will get packet loss. You have to balance that yourself if you have a slow computer.

cl_interp and related commands are just something you'll have to play with. Generally setting it lower will give you better response time on some things, but might cause packet loss.
  • Ninja-ORCNinja-ORC Senior
    Thank you for the reply also I came across this on the steam forums, its css but the same engine might clear some things up(but im still having a hard time understanding all of this, need to lay of the pot) http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353969
    76561197981087625.png They say there are no ninjas in PVK. I beg to differ.