lillemakken's new computer rig + Updated OC specifications !

lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
Hello people of the PVKII community!

I decided to create a new post to show off the OC I managed to reach, and to what volt values and temperatures in Celsius :)

Old spec:

Motherboard: N/A (Don't remember.)
CPU: E8500 Duo core @ 3.70 Ghz OC (3.16 stock.)
GPU: Nvidia 460 GTX (<-- Never bothered to OC before now, alongside other new components.)
RAM: 5gb (Mixed chips, 2x2gb + 1gb.)
Cooler: N/A (Never knew the name.)

New spec after christmas:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: i7-2600k @ 3.40 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 460 GTX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, DDR3, 1600Mhz, 16Gb. (Latency: 9-9-9-24)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (Still argueably the world's best air cooler, holding title three years in a row.)

After I installed the components, I wanted to see how far the 2600K would reach on stable levels using prime95 (
http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=103).
I hit 4.0 Ghz easily enough at 1.14 voltage (Vcore), and turned it up a few notches to 4.5 Ghz at 1.25v, stable. From there, things got interesting. My CPU at that time wouldn't want to go any higher than 4.6 Ghz at 1.25 ~ 1.29 volt, and later I was forced to increase the voltage again to 1.30 ~1.31v and once again to 1.34 v, steady as rock (prime95 ran about two hours after four, five BSoDs as I was climbing up).

My idle temps were around 28 - 31 Celsius degrees, which is quite good. However, I wanted to go higher. My goal was 4.8 Ghz, but no matter how much I increased the voltage, it just wouldn't let me get away, and I wanted to avoid anything much higher than 1.35v ~1.40v (+,-), because as we all know, The Sandy Bridge (Which is, by the way, intel's codename on the project) CPU's are made from a 32nm process, which means they are basically made up from a thinner slice of silicon than earlier chips. In theory, that means the more voltage and heat you run through them, the more susceptible they may be to degradation over time, if we are comparing them to their 45nm or 65nm predecessors.

Fortunately, and by unknown reasons, today I tried to increase the core clock again to 47, multiplied by all cores of course, and I managed to boot. I have no idea whatsoever how that happened, but I was happy. I tried again after watching a youtube video of Skyrim in HD with Bethesda's new texture pack, and the uploader had listed his spec. He was using a i5-2500k at 4.7 Ghz, at 1.35v (No idea if that was steady or not, but alright). That was provoking to me, so I went back into the EFI Bios and booted at 4.7, then later, 4.8 and 4.9 ghz! Only with a voltage increase from 1.35v to 1.37v :o

You can already guess what the next thing I did, was...

I was going for 5.0 Ghz, steady or not.

... Increased voltage to 1.38 .. didn't boot.
... Upped to 1.39v ... Booted, but system crashed 10 seconds after my screen was done loading.

1.40v... and boot ! I was in awe :D However, crashed a couple of times later when running PVKII. Odd, since I already ran Fallout: New Vegas with my customized tweaks without any crash. I ended my hours of testing at stunning 1.42v, temperatures of incredible 28 - 35 Celsius degrees. Did I mention Noctua NH-D14 is the shirley? ;)

​*These print screens were taken with a room temperature of 19.3 Celsius.

Showcase:

cpuidbf.png cpuzs.png
gpuzo.gif

OC'd the GPU to 902Mhz at the core clock speed and memory at 1875Mhz as well.

*Programs used:

prime95
MSI Afterburner
CPUID-CPU-Z
CPUID-HWMonitor
GPU-Z

So if you have any questions, please ask. And of course, post your own overclock results below. How far have you hit? ;)

p.s
I am not responsible for any loss or damage incurred as a result of overclocking your processor - Be aware that all overclocking carries a certain risk of damage.
According to pvkii.com/forums,
- Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
- Archer isn't overpowered
- Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game

Comments

• Trojan•CliniqueTrojan•Clinique Be precise. A lack of precision is dangerous. Senior
    edited February 2012
    removed
  • ToperToper Senior
    edited 8:56PM
    INTERESTING....
    boredcat.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Engineering Supreme Senior
    if you put 120VAC through it would it be very fast? i guess you would need a very large cooler
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    I too have a 2600k. Mine runs at 4.5 ghz comfortably.
  • .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited February 2012
    I have 2500k.

I quit overclocking mine 2500k, since I never hit even 70% cpu usage on heavy gaming.
    Intel Sandy Bridge is some really amazing microarchitecture, regarding overclocking and stability.
    To me 2500k is best cost performance cpu, including OC headroom.

2600k might be good for video editing with it hyper threading or heavy batch processing, but not for gaming (won't get any higher fps than 2500k).

well I guess TTIUWP.

previous build:

P1010001.JPG

new build:

Videocard: XFX 6870
    Processor: i5 2500k
    Mainboard: P8Z68-V
    Memory: Corsair Vengance 8GB
    Soundcard: Xonar DG
    PSU: Corsair HX850

P1010011.JPG

1st run (always outside of case)

P1010013.JPG
  • The NibelungThe Nibelung Senior
    What about static electricity?
  • edited 8:56PM
    I've no idea what my pcs hardware are, I just know that I can run nearly every game on ultra high with a decent fps.
  • edited 8:56PM
    I'm already happy that i can play games.
  • HaVoKHaVoK PVKII Team
    edited February 2012
    I've gotten to 4ghz stable on air with my q9450 2.66 ghz. I don't use it that way though, there's no big reason except if I wanted to fold or bench things.

With all the shoddy cross ports and games coming out still using DX9, hardly anything fully takes advantage or chokes my system out when running stock and one monitor @ 1680x1050.
    Metro 2033 is the most recent that came close to going under the minimum fps I prefer to have, it ran around 37-49fps with 4x MSAA.
    If I was at 2560x1600 or used multiple monitors, It'd be unplayable fps.

Brief specs: Intel q9450, evga 790i, GTX 480, 8GB of DDR3.

Also the i5 2500k and i7 2600k are pretty awesome cpus for the price!

Lego, try CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html or just type in dxdiag in the run/search bar for more info, could try AIDA64 as well.

XVAAG.gif

• lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
    .sverek wrote:

2600k might be good for video editing with it hyper threading or heavy batch processing, but not for gaming (won't get any higher fps than 2500k).

The hyper-threading will actually increase the FPS on the games that support the technology, even though there are few games today that uses it, more games in the future will take advantage of this technology, making 2600k optimal for gaming even today, and especially in the closest future. Also, there are a handful of other (minor) details in the 2600k which makes it arguably again better than 2500k for use in any purpose.
    However, you are right that there isn't nearly, at least, any major (or minor(or any)) fps difference between the two today, indeed.
    Then again, for me it feels better to have the forward-looking CPU ^_^
    - Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
    - Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game
  • MaydayMayday Engineering Supreme Senior
    what about 240VAC

will that be even faster
  • JizzlerJizzler Senior
    edited February 2012
    Yes AC is the shirley.

By the way, that rug sverek, does not really look ESD safe. As mr. hellsten mentioned.

edit. Nvm i see that you have antistatic bags underneath. atleast on the top pic.
    lMrr3YC.gif?1
    image,PVKII,white,black.png
  • R-PhoenixR-Phoenix Simpering Beggar Senior
    I personally have to blow on my PC tower while chewing a menthol gum to keep it fresh.
    I'm Resurrected Phoenix, #1 Europe HEIÐRIK KONG Fan and Founder of European-Canadian Alliance.
    sjdhfklsdf.png
  • HaVoKHaVoK PVKII Team
    Jizzler wrote:

Yes AC is the shirley.

By the way, that rug sverek, does not really look ESD safe. As mr. hellsten mentioned.

edit. Nvm i see that you have antistatic bags underneath. atleast on the top pic.

Most anti-static bags are not anti static on the outside, only the inside. They usually lose their protective properties once you open them and are electrically conductive on the outside.
    It's best to use a grounding wristband and mat if you want to be super careful.

XVAAG.gif

• lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
    ^ True that.
  • JizzlerJizzler Senior
    I have no idea about the bags, all i know is that it's not very safe practice.
    lMrr3YC.gif?1
    image,PVKII,white,black.png
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    edited February 2012
    I bumped my i5 655k to 3.88GHz (@1.2 Vcore) and my Sapphire 5770 to 950MHz core, 1300MHz memory. Ran 20 iterations of Intel Burn Test and 11.5 hours of Prime95 with no errors, so I'll call that stable

Processor topped out at 54C, idles around 22-24