Mapper's application

MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
edited 5:33AM in Team Applications
kind of tricky one
We were just having final tests with my latest map, lts_gravedanger_v3, when Peepee came in and made an interesting proposition. He was convinced that the map would have chances becoming an official map and recommended me applying as a developer before releasing it.

I already planned to release the map today or tomorrow and get away with it (I've grown rather tired of working with it actually). I need to get my full attention on studies and wish to take a break from mapping, but this complicates things.

So I came up with this:
I'd like to show this map to you, o divine pvkii team, and have your opinion on it. If you think the map would be good enough to be official without great renovations, I'd be delighted to become a dev and release it along with pvk 3.0. If not, I would propably release it as custom.

This is a rather odd application, but lets blame Peepee for it biggrin.gif Becoming a part of pvkii team would be awesome, but this point of time is quite difficult for me.
lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg

Comments

• MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited 5:33AM
    Oh yeah, here's a link to gravedanger's topic to see some pictures: http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12583
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    Excellent.
  • edited 5:33AM
    I'd like to see more community managers.

• murphymurphy Cannon Corking Codfish Cuddler PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Cool. I loved the first version of gravedanger when I played it looooong time ago.

Peepee already told me you need some props. Just hit me up if you need any.
  • JabbaJabba Senior
    U've already got my vote Miggog! Good luck with the application smile.gif
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
  • LucasLucas Walter White Members
    He has my vote
    Tschoppo wrote:

hello dear, said banana pie, but all of a sudden it came to life.
  • If I recall correctly, the sudden death is a horde of AI zombies or something? Well, even if I remember wrong, looks pretty damn nice.
    Guaranteed idioticy since 1995.
    Cry some more.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    +1 upvote!

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• SkirmisherSkirmisher Senior
    You got my vote, it's a great map and it still fits the time period's of PVKII.
  • anemoneanemone Senior
    im sick of people making maps not in theme...

fridge gravity, fridge 4sides... I want to shirley on those maps...

there needs to be a new... true pirate map.. something like you've walked into a treasure trove or dragons graveyard... and there is light coming through the cave roof.. you can hide in the dark corners with your chest... and there are skeletons around...

there are so many themes this game is lacking... all the maps are keeecheee that are being made just for some novelty of a boring function like laser chest... we need some real pvk maps to be made...

the standard is set pretty high, but I can see some ideas for new maps rivalling anything gone before... why is everyone map building in the shadow of past successes? there is much to be done

p.s. I havn't played your map yet, i'm excited
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
  • GourdainGourdain Senior
    I'm sick of double posting.
    Gourdain the guardian!
    QUOTE (anemone @ Oct 2 2011, 07:34 PM) »

there needs to be a new... true pirate map.. something like you've walked into a treasure trove or dragons graveyard... and there is light coming through the cave roof.. you can hide in the dark corners with your chest... and there are skeletons around...

there are so many themes this game is lacking... all the maps are keeecheee that are being made just for some novelty of a boring function like laser chest... we need some real pvk maps to be made...

the standard is set pretty high, but I can see some ideas for new maps rivalling anything gone before... why is everyone map building in the shadow of past successes? there is much to be done

I do agree a little bit of the way, but not fully. I mean, the maps are pretty realistic in design if you ask me. It's not like real pirate's went to some old aztec cave with dragon bones and piles of gold with skeletons hanging all over. Pirates' raided basically anything that had high value, and probably didn't have the slightest clue where some ancient cave was. I think. lol

Best thing to do once you have a complaint is to figure out what you, and possibly others, can do about it. I know I used to be bothered by the same fact, but then I got into mapping myself. Its a rocky road less travelled by, but I know eventually mastery will be on the other side. Try putting it into action yourself! Btw there is a suggestions thread for this kind of stuff. I'm happy Mig has even considered joining the team with RL on the side. He's done a fantastic job so far and I hope he work efficiently with the team to make his map even better.

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Love your maps, good luck man
  • JabbaJabba Senior
    QUOTE (anemone @ Oct 3 2011, 12:34 AM) »

I think you're going to enjoy the upcomming TW map, Tortuga. That one has a very "piraty" feel to it.
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
    edited October 2011
    I don't see why PVK maps have to be "in theme". Sure, when we make a new character it should fit the theme of the team it's on, but I think maps should be as nonsensical and crazy as the author wants. Even official maps.

The setting of PVK already makes no sense: Three teams of warriors from three very different time periods who somehow got caught in a rift or something and end up fighting for basically no reason at all.

Why shouldn't we have crazy space maps, and prehistoric jungle maps? Hell, I'd like to see some Asian (ninja/samurai theme) maps in there too. And why hasn't anyone made some modern-day maps? It would be hysterical to see the PVK characters slaughtering each other in a grocery store or something like that.

Deviation from the standard Pirate, Viking, or Knight theme could definitely be a wonderful thing.
  • SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    Aye, welcome on boat!
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    +1 grocery store map

also Gravedanger looks real perdy
  • R-PhoenixR-Phoenix Simpering Beggar Senior
    Just a better icon for the ghost death, then it's perfect.
    I'm Resurrected Phoenix, #1 Europe HEIÐRIK KONG Fan and Founder of European-Canadian Alliance.
    sjdhfklsdf.png
  • QUOTE (Peepeewilson @ Oct 3 2011, 04:13 PM) »
    I don't see why PVK maps have to be "in theme". Sure, when we make a new character it should fit the theme of the team it's on, but I think maps should be as nonsensical and crazy as the author wants. Even official maps.

The setting of PVK already makes no sense: Three teams of warriors from three very different time periods who somehow got caught in a rift or something and end up fighting for basically no reason at all.

Why shouldn't we have crazy space maps, and prehistoric jungle maps? Hell, I'd like to see some Asian (ninja/samurai theme) maps in there too. And why hasn't anyone made some modern-day maps? It would be hysterical to see the PVK characters slaughtering each other in a grocery store or something like that.

Deviation from the standard Pirate, Viking, or Knight theme could definitely be a wonderful thing.

what

what
    Guaranteed idioticy since 1995.
    Cry some more.
  • Lt.HargroveLt.Hargrove Senior
    edited October 2011
    QUOTE (Peepeewilson @ Oct 3 2011, 03:13 PM) »

MAKE LTS MAP PLACED IN STALINGRAD! WITH SOVIET ARTILLERY AND GERMAN AIRPLANES AS SUDDEN DEATH!
    I am sorrying for my poor English.

That would be awesome.
    QUOTE (Peepeewilson @ Oct 3 2011, 09:13 AM) »

Huh, now that I think of it, a well made modern map like a grocerie store really would fit, I guess. I mean, who knows what could happen once you've got 3 warriors from all different times in the same place at once.

"Arrgh, Skimpy, come looka' dis! A "lawnmower"! Just like that torture device we saw in 1762!"
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    Time machine laboratory!

slugsig.jpg

• PaladinPaladin Senior
    bt_trium is on it's way.
    2v2z7rr.jpg
  • anemoneanemone Senior
    they don't have to be in theme AT all... but for pvk2 sake I think people need to stop looking down the avenue of 'crazy custom', the standard followed is being set in the wrong direction.

I like having them too....

but I think a crazy cave.... with water flowing through from the roof crack. some lanterns for lighting as well as the natural light... maybe a skyrail that takes you somewhere in there...

or something really fantastically pirate... would be a great, wholesome addition to the official maps base... I can think of a few ideas that are missing and would be really functional...

a temple isn't really in theme... but I mean... the characters atleast make sense there, even if it isn't a typical place for them to be in.... but the customs need a new solid,favourite official map,
    to show them whose boss.... and I propose a cave dwelling.

Also it would be cool if at the start of a new map, it was multi-faceted like 'custom base survival' in that when the map loads you vote the game mode... so the same cave would be a chest haven, or you vote it to be a lts or tw. etc

anyone think that would be cool? then we could have some maps that are all in all set up well for all modes... kind of like how desertruin old is an awesome map, the activity is great... but there is too much room for it not to be a TW map.

Personally I like the capture version. In such a barren map it draws you to the most interesting and highest point. woop.
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
    anemone add me to steam and i'll surprise you with something I've been working on biggrin.gif

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• edited 5:33AM
    Is it playable?
  • Lt.HargroveLt.Hargrove Senior
    I am remaking a very good map, it's layout is a bit different, and I can say I am 1/4 done.
    I am sorrying for my poor English.

• GourdainGourdain Senior
    QUOTE (Lt.Hargrove @ Oct 6 2011, 12:37 PM) »
    I am remaking a very good map, it's layout is a bit different, and I can say I am 1/4 done.

Safe to say it's 1/4th less potent to make anyone facepalm.
    Gourdain the guardian!