Te_Palace

Lt.HargroveLt.Hargrove Senior
edited February 2011 in Community Maps
My first map
Good Evening

This is me brand new map and da first one, so do not be so shy boys.

Story:
The Knights have captured Pirates by sneak attack at night. They took them to Lord Mamonite for judgement.In the same time Vikings have pillaged a town near the Mamonite's palace and proceeded to the manor. When Knights have wake up they saw a horde of Norsemen storming the gate.They fought them back for a moment.In battle chaos, Pirates have opened prison carts and tried to find a secret dungeon with Lord's father grave with, as they heard from drunk cook they killed, BIG TREASURE. Vikings didn't want to lose, but the courtyard was defended by Knights. One gestir proposed to capture the garden and access to the old Roman sewers by a well to get below the Palace and get Knights from behind.

What will happen is up to players now.
Yer got screenshots now:

Knight's spawn

Knight's spawn (second house)

Viking spawn (I will try to make some tents,for now my map fridged when they were there)

Pirate spawn

The Courtyard,first and main terrytory.

The basement entrance at Viking side

Place where basement connects with the crypt

The crypt, second terrytory

One of 3 dining halls

To do: Lights,junk and windows in palace ; 3D skybox ; The garden, 3rd terrytory ; learn how to make water string that pushes people (fast transport between crypt and well)

Needed: Gold pile on the ground texture ; two bed textures or models ; time do do this

I'd like to know what you're thinking about this and I want to hear some suggestions.
I am sorrying for my poor English.

Comments

• PysiekPysiek Senior
    edited 3:42PM
    For fast water, make a trigger (block), and press CTRL+T, then write there trigger_push, and press enter. smile.gif
  • Lt.HargroveLt.Hargrove Senior
    There's a new screenshot of one of the 3 dining halls (they are the same)

• edited February 2011
    looks pretty decent for your first map

keep up the goodwork wink.gif

mabye you should make those walls scale a bit higher(example 0.25 to 0.35) so you won't see those two linair circles on your wall but only one.(on the last screenshot)

and then you could put those circles on the bottom of top so it looks better wink.gif
  • SkirmisherSkirmisher Senior
    The map looks great. Really great.

I love the storyline, too. The thought of the Knight's waking up in mid-sleep, just to see norsemen and pirate's raiding in, and having to rush into battle, that thought just gets me in the mood to play.
    Well, now I am working on the garden (not much time), but I have found that particles are only visible from specific angle, and env_fires look just ugly. I 've read somewhere here that is possible to do fires from env_smoketracks, but I dont know what partlicle path/name/other ninja stuff to use in options.Any advices?

edited March 2011
    So guys, today I'll post you a screenshot of the garden. I post now to tell you that thing is not dead and is going to be finished in 2nd half of April.

Edit: Here it goes

A view from a well

Flowers and a bench

Left side of the thing

Used Kow's custom stuff, also added that coin and jewel piles in The crypt. My map is custom-mad, because I downloaded RealWorldTextures, Bioko's HD texture pack and BigTextures4 (or something like that).

• KakisKakis Senior
    edited March 2011
    Looks very nice, you should add fog and more details such as props, most of these rooms seems a bit to empty.
  • edited 3:42PM
    how about some moonlight at least?
    its pitch black outside
    if it were any darker those pictures would be nothing but black boxes
    I was experimenting with light outside. I restored previous settings, so it's a bit brighter. Now I have almost finished 1st sewer part, with fancy waterfall.
    I'm planning to add props at same end. After that decals and 3D skybox. Just wait

• TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    note: A walkthrough video is always better then screenshots, but only if Hi-Res
    Screenshots only make feedback to their motive

slugsig.jpg

Argh, WIP of the inside of the well and southern sewers.

View from the middle of the small cave-like entrance

The view from the left side at the way to the fastpush TM transport system.

Waterfalley

Overall of the chamber with fastpush TM southern exit and entrance.

I'm planning to make lights darker, fix that stupid green water, " water under water" in the way to the chamber fix and making it a bit more sewerish.

edited March 2011
    I'm planning to make lights darker
    i can just barely see anything especially in the 1st picture and a bit video footage would rock

slugsig.jpg

QUOTE (Tschoppo @ Mar 17 2011, 10:00 PM) »
    i can just barely see anything especially in the 1st picture and a bit video footage would rock

It's brighter in-game

AND I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING WORTH OF VIDEO NOW!Really, What's the point of recording half-unfinished map?There aren't any models in most of the parts of map, No decals & overlays, just nothing. I'll vid it when it's done. (Valve time included)

• anemoneanemone Senior
    Could you add lanterns outside? Gas lamps or something. Or maybe an escape route, with a small bay/beach and a clear sky out to see. Will a couple of abandoned or wrecked hulls in the water.
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
    QUOTE (anemone @ Mar 18 2011, 08:11 AM) »
    Could you add lanterns outside? Gas lamps or something. Or maybe an escape route, with a small bay/beach and a clear sky out to see. Will a couple of abandoned or wrecked hulls in the water.

There's a broke gate behind viking spawn blocked with an invisible wall. This map isn't on the shore, however my next project will be placed there (midday, don't worry)

And nights in real are much darker.

• L4teniusL4tenius The Monkeyhandler Senior
    QUOTE (Lt.Hargrove @ Mar 18 2011, 04:32 PM) »
    There's a broke gate behind viking spawn blocked with an invisible wall. This map isn't on the shore, however my next project will be placed there (midday, don't worry)

And nights in real are much darker.

That's why this is a game tongue.gif
    I really think that you have good ideas, but the map looks really simple and DAAAARK!
    <
    FEAR THE MONKEY
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    You have to make your map seem dark, but not actually be dark.
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    It's like having the cake and eating it at the same time
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • Mr. UnicornMr. Unicorn Bear-O-Dactyl Senior
    QUOTE (Lt.Hargrove @ Mar 18 2011, 10:32 AM) »
    ...an invisible wall.

NO!
    QUOTE (Nagzar The Zerker @ Jan 30 2011, 01:11 AM) »
    I am smoking logic.

I just had to post this:

I WILL MURDER YOUR PC!

Ok mates, as I see you like to know. So I tell you that I finished the tight catacombs in the sewers and I am going to do a huge canal with 2 ladders leading to the crypt.After that I'll send screenshots to you and if you will like to play it, I will send you an alpha.

I know you do not care, but I am deleting half of the map. I had just a good idea, but the map was too large. And optimisation.

Now, anybody has an idea how to make the place from which you see whole map not a lagfest? I think that I could use areaportal, but I don't know how to use it.

And when I'll finish it, brand new ice-themed PC-murdering map will come in June.

don´t know either.. everytime i used areaportalwindows it gave me baaad errors biggrin.gif

slugsig.jpg

Area portal is a mini-level in the level. It can not leak, like the skybox. Hard to use it, but gives extra-opti power.

• ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited April 2011
    But if you use it too much it will slow down performance.
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
    Sorry. I am really sorry. I promised. But I failed.

I realised that this map is laggy, ugly, with tons of empty space and it's way too big. It's not even built on powers of two. I just feel : "Oh my dear God, how I could do such a rubbish!". I will not relase it. I'd like to thank Finlord for his great bed model and Thsoppo's research.

My hammer has also some problems. It's compile is a bit broken.

I will try to carry on mapping. But when I saw ,khem, work, I can not really tell you that I will relase anything ever.

• WaxyWaxy Senior
    Was this your first PVK2 map or your first map EVER?!?
    Because holy crap, if t's the latter I've been doing everything wrong and will never be a good mapper.