Setting Up Hammer for mapping in PVKII 2.3 and beyond

CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
edited September 2010 in Community Maps
Easy explanation how to setup the gameconfig file.
To properly setup hammer and other sdk applications to use PVKII is very simple.

First navigate to your steam/steamapps/username/sourcesdk/bin/source2007/bin/. In there you will find a file called GameConfig.txt. this file defines the different games in the sdk dropdown for orange box.

In that file copy and paste this at the same level as another game entry.

CODE
"PVK2"
        {
            "GameDir"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\pirates, vikings, and knights ii\pvkii"
            "hammer"
            {
                "GameData0"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\pirates, vikings, and knights ii\pvkii\pvkii.fgd"
                "TextureFormat"        "5"
                "MapFormat"        "4"
                "DefaultTextureScale"        "0.250000"
                "DefaultLightmapScale"        "16"
                "GameExe"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\pirates, vikings, and knights ii\hl2.exe"
                "DefaultSolidEntity"        "func_detail"
                "DefaultPointEntity"        "info_player_start"
                "BSP"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
                "Vis"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
                "Light"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
                "GameExeDir"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\pirates, vikings, and knights ii\"
                "MapDir"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\pirates, vikings, and knights ii\pvkii\mapsrc"
                "BSPDir"        "<path to steam>\steam\steamapps\<your username>\pirates, vikings, and knights ii\pvkii\maps"
                "CordonTexture"        "tools\toolsskybox"
                "MaterialExcludeCount"        "0"
            }
        }

edit: also you need to change the <path to steam> to point to your path to your steam directory and <your username> to the directory of your username.

It should now be good to go. In the sdk dropdown be sure the engine selected is orange box engine.

New Features Available in Version 2.3

Particle Systems
Ability to use the In-Game Particle Editor to craft fancy effects for your map. To do so you can run the game with -tools. Orange Box engine will automatically load for your map the file particles/particles_mapname.txt as a manifest to particle files your map needs. All particle files to be used must be in the manifest to be loaded.

BIK Video playback onto model geometry
You can now play a BIK video on a model using the prop_dynamic_video entity added in 2.3; Select a model and then put a valid BIK for the video and it will use BIK as the skin in place of the model's default skin. Care has to be taken with the UV though or you might get artifacts.

Comments

• MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited 11:19AM
    Quick & Easy. Thank you
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • RootJackRootJack Senior
    Looks like there is an error in the "light" line when compared with the others. There is no "\steam" at the beginning.
    RootJack, Pirate Energy Drink. Fight Scurvy!
    Orange flavored Root Beer with Vanilla, Guarana,
    a full daily dose of Vitamin C, and lots of Caffeine.
    : RootJack + Facebook : : SteamJack + Facebook :
    >> Proud affiliate of Pirates, Vikings & Knights II <<
  • Sonic7145Sonic7145 Senior
    Nice catch, I'll edit it.
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited March 2010
    -nothing-

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

• CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    added some notes on some new things available.
  • Assigir The NordAssigir The Nord PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Nice thing about the bik files on models
    I know its possible to play a bik file in the end on a map in most source based games dont know how doh
    so my question is: Is it possible to have a bik file run at the start of a map / end of a round? and how do you trigger it?
    <3 kegs! :3
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Rick Roll in maps anyone?
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • killdozerkilldozer Senior
    thanks bro!
  • JasherJasher Senior
    edited April 2010
    each time I add the configuration to the txt file and then run source sdk, all the stuff I added in the txt file is erased. sad.gif
  • J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    edited April 2010
    Did you do this?
    also you need to change the <path to steam> to point to your path to your steam directory and <your username> to the directory of your username.
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
  • SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    If that dosen't work, make sure to align the whole script in position with the other ones (TF2 etc.). I'm not sure if that has to be done, but when I did it it worked, and as J-co said; Missing a directory path or two is pretty common.
  • edited 11:19AM
    QUOTE (Jasher @ Apr 5 2010, 11:56 AM) »
    each time I add the configuration to the txt file and then run source sdk, all the stuff I added in the txt file is erased. sad.gif

I get the same problem, even when aligning the script and having all correct paths.
  • Angry BobAngry Bob Senior
    It doesn't add any of the grid boxes on the three perspectives, and will not allow me to create anything. Any suggestions?
    ~Chibi
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    QUOTE (Angry Bob @ Apr 30 2010, 11:20 AM) »
    It doesn't add any of the grid boxes on the three perspectives, and will not allow me to create anything. Any suggestions?

Same here, even the camera part is black for me.
    Blergh.
    QUOTE (J-co @ Jun 23 2010, 10:33 PM) »
    I also had periods

QUOTE (Samstaforce @ Jun 29 2010, 11:21 PM) »
    this isnt a problem since I havent even noticed this.

• MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (Angry Bob @ Apr 30 2010, 12:20 PM) »

That doesn't have to do anything with Crackapollys settings. Hammer is broken worldwide right now though a cure has been found. Look here http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?s=&s...st&p=189346
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    QUOTE (Miggog)
    That doesn't have to do anything with Crackapollys settings. Hammer is broken worldwide right now though a cure has been found. Look here http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?s=&s...st&p=189346

I suggest looking further in that thread, more suitable fixes have been posted smile.gif.
    Blergh.
    I also had periods

• NerieruNerieru Senior
    Fixing the viewport issues

Launch the source SDK

Select Engine: Source 2009

Select Game: PVK2

Double Click: "Edit game configurations"

Click: "Remove"

Click: "Ok"

Select Engine: Source 2007

Double Click: "Edit game configurations"

Click: "Add"

Then Enter the following:

Name: PVK2

Then hit browse, and browse to your steam folder. Then go to the pirates, vikings, and knights II map. Finally select pvkii map. And hit Select (Might be named #V_Gui_Sel.). This is all most likely located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\ your username \pirates, vikings, and knights ii\pvkii

Click: "Ok"

Now you can run hammer and hammer will look like it's supposed to again!!

Namely:

Hope this makes everyone happy! Now we just wait for source 2009 support! smile.gif The SDK for it hasn't been released yet unfortunately, so the guys here can't help it.
    Blergh.
    I also had periods

• edited 11:19AM
    Nice,

Can anyone guide me and look what's wrong at my PVKII configuration?
    I did it manually and it doesn't launch it says that something it says : Gameinfo.txt doesn't exist in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\maffiapat11\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin.

this is my configuration:

Can someone help me and tell what i have to change on a easy way?

• NerieruNerieru Senior
    I checked the above issue with him, but it's because he doesn't have a 2007 game. So he'll need to get hl2 to be able to use the sdk for 2007.
    Blergh.
    I also had periods

• Sigmen FloydSigmen Floyd Senior
    Switch over to the 2007 SDK seems to work. But all PVK related entities are gone. They simply don't show up in the list. Does somenone else have this problem?
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    You need to add our pvkii.fgd file to the hammer configuration for pvkii.

FGD files tell hammer what entities and their properties are for a particular game. The FGD is found in the .../Steam/Steamapps/<your username>/pirates, vikings, and knights ii/pvkii/pvkii.fgd where ... is path to steam and <your username> is your steam login name.

If you add it into the actual game config then it will load it every time hammer starts.
  • Sigmen FloydSigmen Floyd Senior
    Thanks. Adding the FGD in Hammer did it. Now it's all there.
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    I have a problem, I did the thing you posted Nereiru and that worked.
    My map showed up and the entities were 'obsolete', so I did as Cracka suggested.
    I tried that pvkii.fgd thingy, and I guess I did something horribly wrong.
    I can start up hammer just fine with PVKII, but when I try to load my map hammer just closes or I get the following error message:
    The instruction on 0x0d1db69d refers to memory on 0x0d1db69d. The read- or writerevision ("read") on the memory has failed.
    Press on OK to close the program.

I have deleted the PVK2 SDK menu version, and readded it (I did Nereiru's instruction again).
    I have re
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    That's a weird bug ZinuX it's getting an instruction from a memory block which refers to itself but then it can't find that memory block (thus it can't read it).

Now most likely it's either missing files or it's searching for something that ain't there. Have you checked your config file to see if all the paths are correct?

Also it's nerIEru not nereiru

Blergh.
    I also had periods

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Zinux, do you have both the halflife.fgd and the PVKII.fgd in the list? If so, remove the halflife one, only the PVKII.fgd should be listed.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Jun 4 2010, 08:36 PM) »
    Zinux, do you have both the halflife.fgd and the PVKII.fgd in the list? If so, remove the halflife one, only the PVKII.fgd should be listed.

Ah yes that is the problem, I remember just adding the PVKII one.
    Gonna fix it now
    ~
    It worked, thanks a lot Lhorkan.
    And my bad Nerieru
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • Blood-WiperBlood-Wiper Vicious Psycho Banned
    edited June 2010
    I found a way that works for me! it's similiar to Nerieru's fix but his didn't work for me. here's how goes:

go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\ and make a gameinfo.txt like the one you would have made in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin and it should work. then launch hammer and go to Tools-options-build progams and change the following:
    BSP executable to:$SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe
    VIS executable to:$SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe
    RAD executable to:$SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe
    Little bit banned
  • AlexTrustAlexTrust Senior
    edited July 2010
  • KegManKegMan Senior
    QUOTE (ZombieSquirrel @ Apr 5 2010, 08:02 PM) »
    If that dosen't work, make sure to align the whole script in position with the other ones (TF2 etc.). I'm not sure if that has to be done, but when I did it it worked, and as J-co said; Missing a directory path or two is pretty common.

what is the fastes way to align and is there a precicely way for it???
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Hey guys;

Is there a fix for this and viewpoints that will work every time?

Cheers.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

This discussion has been closed.