Windows 7

FrodogornFrodogorn Senior
edited 11:07AM in Bugs/Support
Lagged my Internet
Ever since I installed Windows 7 ( I had xp before) my Internt slowed a lot. In every game I play, including PVK, the game stops for 3 seconds then comes back. This happens quite often so yeah it's pretty annoying. I already did some tweaks, it made my internet faster but not so fast as I had on XP. I get this frustration mainly playing PVK, being a fast paced game, 3 seconds can be crucial, that's why when I'm fighting a NOOB HK as Skirm I wake up dead and that makes me rage like hell. I've even been called lagger sad.gif
Help anyone?

Comments

• edited 11:07AM
    Well, we could swap computers since my computer is faster now!!! biggrin.gif
  • FrodogornFrodogorn Senior
    edited May 2010
    What are you talking about? Yesterday you were lagging like me or worse. And thanks for solving my problem MoW!
  • se05239se05239 Senior
    edited 11:07AM
    Go back to XP?
    "Sometimes its better to stay silent and let people think that you are an idiot, rather than speaking out and actually prove that you are one." - Someone
    I don't want to
  • .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited May 2010
    well, it's weird...

Internet could be slowed down by system? I think it's rather problem with windows firewall etc... In game open console and type "net_graph 1".
    If you getting fps going down and freezing game, it could be driver problems. If you getting loss, you losing packets from server, it could bad or blocked connection.

If possible, post your pc specs.
    edited May 2010
    Sure.
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450
    x64-based PC
    4GB RAM
    ATI Raedon HD 3850
    DX10
    By the way, I'm using a router ( Conceptronic C300BRS4)
    I don't think the problem is with the firewall, when I first played any game, that firewall messaged appeared and I clicked "Allow". It may be driver problem because on XP I had 10.2 and after rebooting I installed the 10.3. Maybe this is the problem, I'll try to update to the lastest one, I think 10.4/5 is out, might give it a try. Anyway, if you need any additional information regarding my pc, tell me.

• SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    edited May 2010
    Well your computer specs are not the problem. It also sounds very weird that this happened once you changed OS this happened. Do you have any other connection/internet problems? Is it just for your computer? If not, it might be some flaws with your modem or router (mainly if you are on DSL connection). The reason why I'm asking is because I recently had this problem, on Windows 7 x64. I swapped my modem and now it runs fine. It might as well just be a coincidence with your OS change. Anyway here's what I suggest. It won't take long, it's just as a routine check.

- Ping your router and modem and see if you get any package loss. It is crucial that all the packages reaches your computer without any trouble. If this isn't the case, your ping will basically stay normal in-game, but the actual gameplay gets delayed, alot! I'm sure you're familiar with how to do this. If not:

Ctrl + R. Type 'cmd' to open command prompt. After that type 'ping' the IP you want to ping, like the router for example. By default ten test packages will be sent/recieved. If you want to increase that number, you type '-n and the number', like 20 for example.

The packages sent/recieved should always be around 1 ms. Any higher than that and you might have yourself an external connection problem.

Example: ping 192.168.0.1 -n 20

- Try updating your Router firmware. This is mainly done on the router setup/control page.
  • edited 11:07AM
    QUOTE (Frodogorn @ May 14 2010, 06:17 PM) »
    What are you talking about? Yesterday you were lagging like me or worse. And thanks for solving my problem MoW!

Well yeah, but now i updated my drivers and it allows me to play PVKII with 20+ fps!
    edited May 2010
    I made a test with the net_graph 1 command, and I saw that when the game comesback, the ping is 600 or higher.I took screenshots, here's the link http://img215.imageshack.us/i/semttulomq.png/
    http://img34.imageshack.us/i/semttulofp.png/
    http://img140.imageshack.us/i/semttulojo.png/ <- This one shows my normal gameplay, without any problems. Just to help you compare and make your conclusions.
  • .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited May 2010
    Your loss is 30+ on 2 upper screenshots. Means you losing 30+ packets in 1 seconds.... it's a lot. That's 100% what causes lag. It could be cause by network problems. I'd call router or firewall or whatever blocking your connection.

On last screenshot your loss is 0, that's why you had smooth game.
    edited May 2010
    Thank you for the answer but let's wait for more and see if we can come to a conclusion biggrin.gif
    But I still think this problem might have something to do with the router not being compatible with windows 7...
    QUOTE (Frodogorn @ May 15 2010, 08:21 PM) »
    Thank you for the answer but let's wait for more and see if we can come to a conclusion biggrin.gif
    But I still think this problem might have something to do with the router not being compatible with windows 7...

I don't.

If you really want help, then take time to read all the posts and not skip the long ones, they are also intended to help you know. I suggest you do.
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    You're not using a wireless router on an unsecured network, are you ... ?

Neighbours 'borrowing' your bandwidth could have something to do with it if that's the case.

Is this problem all the time?
    Yes, I'm using a wireless router but it is password protected. This problem only happened after installing Windows 7
    QUOTE (ZombieSquirrel @ May 15 2010, 02:06 PM) »
    - Ping your router and modem and see if you get any package loss. It is crucial that all the packages reaches your computer without any trouble. If this isn't the case, your ping will basically stay normal in-game, but the actual gameplay gets delayed, alot!

Ctrl + R. Type 'cmd' to open command prompt. After that type 'ping' the IP you want to ping, like the router for example. By default ten test packages will be sent/recieved. If you want to increase that number, you type '-n and the number', like 20 for example.

The packages sent/recieved should always be around 1 ms. Any higher than that and you might have yourself an external connection problem.

Example: ping 192.168.0.1 -n 20

- Try updating your Router firmware. This is mainly done on the router setup/control page.

edited May 2010
    I pinged my IP while on the desktop and the results are normal (1MS, Packages sent =4; Packages received=4; Packages lost=0). Then I did it with 20 packages, none of them were lost (1ms).
    Do you have a modem? If you do, connect directly to it and try pinging that IP. It was there I got my lost packages.
    To ping your Modem or to simply access the control page you might have to set up a manual IP address for it.
    I have one but it is on the other room connected to my brother's pc. He uses it a lot so it's going to be difficult to have the modem for myself, but I'll try. Anyway, I'm going to change my televison, telephone and internet service. NO, it's not because of this problem, I'm going to change because the service I'm been using is quite old, expensive and the support sucks. The new one is cheaper, better and faster.
  • tangoesptangoesp Senior
    Wifi it's not made for playing. Change to a classical, tiny, pretty, cute, RJ45!

Think about this. In a cable network, you have one cable for each PC, on a Wifi network, you have the air to all pc's.
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    QUOTE (tangoesp @ Jun 3 2010, 11:59 AM) »
    Wifi it's not made for playing. Change to a classical, tiny, pretty, cute, RJ45!

Think about this. In a cable network, you have one cable for each PC, on a Wifi network, you have the air to all pc's.

Then think about this:

There's a lot of air, but there isn't much copper..
    Blergh.
    QUOTE (J-co @ Jun 23 2010, 10:33 PM) »
    I also had periods

QUOTE (Samstaforce @ Jun 29 2010, 11:21 PM) »
    this isnt a problem since I havent even noticed this.

• Teh_SuxTeh_Sux Senior
    LAgging your internet, was my idea.
    I have learned my lesson at last and may have a real forum signature thanks to the kind mercy of Bingo Bango
  • Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
    On my laptop I always have to wire in to play, luckily I have a big ass cord that reaches all around the house.
    A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    QUOTE (Sir Stalwart @ Jun 21 2010, 10:11 PM) »
    On my laptop I always have to wire in to play, luckily I have a big ass cord that reaches all around the house.

Wireless N works fine for gaming. (for me at least)

Dunno if your laptop sports it, but if it does it's a godgiven. (When you're forced to go wireless)
    Blergh.
    QUOTE (J-co @ Jun 23 2010, 10:33 PM) »
    I also had periods

QUOTE (Samstaforce @ Jun 29 2010, 11:21 PM) »
    this isnt a problem since I havent even noticed this.