Weapons seem further than really are.

DIFTOWDIFTOW Senior
edited June 2010 in Bugs/Support
So this is about how sometimes I get hit, mostly by 2 handed weapons.. yet the distance between me and the weapon seems far enough that the tip is not even close enough to hit me at all, yet I indeed take damage.

This video I'm about to show is not one of the worst by any means. There's times where this happens and the distance is CONSIDERABLE, 3x further than in this video.

http://miriscus.com/archives/random/range.mp4

My ping is never above 100 on the servers that I play, not that lag is ruled out.. cause it could be server side, but I definitely know it is not hardware lag.

Other's have complained of taking damage, even considerable damage from distances far from weapons range, far enough that it is noticeble from an outsiders perspective.

But I will say, if in some of these cases the weapon itself is actually hitting the entity, it does not look like that in-game. And where the hit box hits, I need to be able to see. And currently it is not easy to just see how close something is, either because of the field of view angle or something.

This is basically the moment of supposed impact from the 2 handed sword.

Comments

• SamstaforceSamstaforce Senior
    edited 10:01AM
    Yes, this happens to me often too, especially with Heavy Knights. Maybe im just imagining it but sometimes the distance is just too long, claymore is not a 3 metres long sword. I think it could be a server side lag but my ping is rarely more than 100ms. I think its in the game, and has something to do with the hit boxes or something.
  • .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited June 2010
    I don't think so. You also should keep in mind enemy's ping. If you both fighting on far away server (Player A = 150 ping and Player B = 100 ping), you'll get 250 ping difference (Which is 0.25 seconds). 0.25 is pretty big gap, for current fast paced PVKII. Source Engine is honest, it doesn't seem to edit registry, so it looks better on client side (Compare: BFBD2, Unreal Engine).

If you want lag free game experience, I only suggest to play on local server (all players 0-50 ping or lan server).
  • edited 10:01AM
    Gestir's reach is a pain in the ass
  • Sir StalwartSir Stalwart Senior
    It really is a ping thing, I don't have these problems very often.
    A real warrior isn't unafraid, he is afraid to show it.
  • Brother PedroBrother Pedro Senior
    edited June 2010
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/La...nd_Optimization
    read the part about Game Design Implications of Lag Compensation.

The other alternative is that you will have to lead your target depending on your ping. Game like that is unplayable for me and PVKII's melee combat and projectiles that require travel time will only make that worse (actually the projectile part can already be felt quite strongly with a ping of 200 or so).
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    For me this is the biggest annoyance in this game as well. I start noticing a slight shift at 40-50ms and beyond it just starts pissing me off.

My ping is generally 5-30ms.

It really just ticks me off when my range is less than the other player or when a gestir that's more than 2 meters away keeps hitting me. Also when projectiles that I see missing me hit because of the shift.

But I love this game too much, so that generally means I join another server smile.gif.
    Blergh.
    QUOTE (J-co @ Jun 23 2010, 10:33 PM) »
    I also had periods

QUOTE (Samstaforce @ Jun 29 2010, 11:21 PM) »
    this isnt a problem since I havent even noticed this.

• PaladinPaladin Senior
    So thats why I was getting killed most of the time while my ping was over 400 on a server. wink.gif
    2v2z7rr.jpg
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    QUOTE (sverek @ Jun 13 2010, 05:11 PM) »
    I don't think so. You also should keep in mind enemy's ping. If you both fighting on far away server (Player A = 150 ping and Player B = 100 ping), you'll get 250 ping difference (Which is 0.25 seconds). 0.25 is pretty big gap, for current fast paced PVKII. Source Engine is honest, it doesn't seem to edit registry, so it looks better on client side (Compare: BFBD2, Unreal Engine).

If you want lag free game experience, I only suggest to play on local server (all players 0-50 ping or lan server).

Btw, I've heard this before about the source engine, but isn't your real ping actually a bit higher than what's displayed on the scoreboard (net_graph)?

And shouldn't we also take the server and clients tickrate into account?
    Blergh.
    I also had periods

• KostasKostas Senior
    Seen this many times.

I get so pissed off when i jump back to avoid an attack and it still hits me from like 2 meters away.

Lag it may be, but its annoying tongue.gif
  • NerieruNerieru Senior
    QUOTE (Kostas @ Jun 18 2010, 01:23 PM) »
    Seen this many times.

I get so pissed off when i jump back to avoid an attack and it still hits me from like 2 meters away.

Lag it may be, but its annoying tongue.gif

I'm personally more of the "Oh, COME ON!" type. And if that happens 2 times in a game I join a different server, generally with less people.
    Blergh.
    I also had periods