Connection Problem

SyndromESyndromE Senior
edited July 2009 in Bugs/Support
Connection failed after 4 retries
I recently installed latest RTM build of win7 (was using RC before) and since then I keep getting this error when trying to connect to game servers.

pvkii start loading a server but instantly get stuck with 4 bars. then it ends up with this message : "Connection failed after 4 retries"
however, one server did work (can't remember which one atm). all others didn't.

tried disabling windows firewall and nod32 antivirus. forwarded port 27015 in router (never had to do it before).
reinstalled steam and pvkii from scratch (source sdk and everything). nothing helps.
I'm helpless... can't seem to get around this problem. my internet connection works fine.

any suggestions ? sad.gif I hate steam related headaches

Comments

• SyndromESyndromE Senior
    edited July 2009
    ok I've found the only server that works uses port 27317, while all others (that don't work) use port 27015

what now ? port 27015 forwarded in router. port 27317 doesn't
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited July 2009
    Click this link. Let steam run it's test and see if you pass.

steam://support/?Issues=*

EDIT: Just paste it. URL tagging messes it up.
    edited July 2009
    ok 10x. all tests passed. also tried deleting some files according to steam suggestions...
    also installed latest steam beta client, just in case. still no go. can't connect to pvk servers via port 27015 sad.gif
    edited 11:18PM
    Have you tried eliminating the router from the equation? Try connecting directly to your modem and see if it works then. If it still doesn't, then we at least know your router isn't the cause.
    edited July 2009
    well, I connected to modem directly, servers were connecting flawlessly.
    I then reconnected the router and surprisingly the problem is gone ! just like that.

I was hoping to eliminate the router from the equation, not the equation itself biggrin.gif
    I don't care how and why, as long as I can now play pvkii. THANK YOU icon_yay.gif
    Perhaps the port forwarding you put in place didn't actually take effect until you restarted the router by unplugging it. Most require a reboot for things like that to propagate.
  • gubbegubbe Senior