[rel]pvk_piazza_b1

schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
edited August 2008 in Community Maps
beta test
Yahaarr, mates,

after putting some efforts in my map, I decided to release the first beta of it to see how it actually plays. There are many things I'll add to the map, but with criticism from other players, it will be way easier to decide what needs to be done.

Screenies:

Download:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/63015

Have fun, and I'll hope to see it on the servers soon,

Schatzmeister

known problems:

-door glitch
-not enough flags
-viking spawn bug

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

Comments

• PeWRPeWR Famous writer Senior
    edited 10:45AM
    Looks good!
  • Banjo BoyBanjo Boy Pickin' to Beat the Devil PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    I'm adding it to my server right now smile.gif
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    As far as level design goes it's a very interesting map! The lighting is toned yellow way too strong though, make it whiter. The map needs to be more pleasing to the eyes in general, so no series of cubes for hallways. Add some round edges and complexer shapes. There's also a couple of stairs with this minor graphics glitch:

dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Hmm, I know 'bout that, and bout the cube formed rooms, its just that I wanted to play the map to see how its working. Remember that this is just a beta and I'm well aware of the most glitches and boring looking rooms.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.

• LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Tested it, and here's what I think.

Overall the layout is quite nice, but among the streets it looks rather boring, there's basicly nothing, exept walls with windows and such.
    And the lighting is also a bit bland, put it at an angle, not straight down. And like Lhorkan said, the square rooms are very boring.

In a couple of places there are player clips and invisible walls, those can be quite annoying.

Thiugh in general I think the map has potential.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Yeah, I know that it looks boring right now, the next release will look way better. Player clips ar there for a reason. It might be annoying, but more annoying are people who jump aroun at places they were not ought to reach at all. Though I might consider making the water accessible.

I made some progress on the large room from the pirate spawn:

before.

after:

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Nice! :]
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • TheMoonTheMoon Senior
    Played it once and I dig the layout with that additional route through the middle where everyone meets. It seems a little bit too cramped at some places though, for example the rooms with all those narrow doorways. Lighting could be a tad less yellow/saturated/bright unless you change to a skybox which fits this setting better (would recommend that). Also, don't forget to add a visible sun, it just looks so much more believable.

But all in all it's totally worth playing, keep working on it!
    This might sound odd to you, but the light_environment has the recommended setting for the sky ( I looked it up at the valve sky list [i might post a link of it]), only the interior lighting can and will be subject to change.

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Very nice sir. I like the way you use trims and the destruction.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Just wanted to say that I picked up mapping again since Crazytalk released some of my maps and the latter one is worth being improved.

I luv this map yo

xq0LCrG.png

• HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    It's a nice map, the tile flooring kinda reminds me of CS:S.
    imageimage
    Perhaps some overlays and trash decals could help, or make a blend texture with dirt to fix that.

xq0LCrG.png