Old PVK Maps

SnotRocketSnotRocket Members
edited 11:38PM in PVK Discussion
Were just so much better than the new PVK2 maps IMO. Most of the maps just had that big epic feel, if anyone knows what I mean. Now in pvk2 the maps are so claustrophobic and unnatural. I loved the old helms deep maps with the boat going around, or that one crazy map with the big colossus in it. I don't know, I miss PVK. :'(

Comments

• edited 11:38PM
    I hear you man, it'll come back soon. its too good to die
    user posted image
  • SkuzzlebuttSkuzzlebutt Buttskuzzle Senior
    edited 11:38PM
    some old maps were really fun ya
    i wants them back too ^^
    A Signature
  • JEBUSJEBUS Senior
    Sorry for beating a dead horse but I have to agree. PvK1 maps gave off twice the feeling than pvk2 maps. Im not sure what it is, I honestly think though that the mappers for pvki used everything to their advantage with the old engine. Where as too pvk2, sure the graphics alone give it detail, but people could be making such better maps its not even funny. I have yet to see the things I use to see in pvk1 maps that I have in pvk2. Pvk1 had a lot of traps, fun little tools to use. I remember one map where you grabbed a chest and a shit load of head crabs came out and killed you. I also remeber lighthouse, where the three teams were franctally running through the streets of the city around the lighthouse and breaking through the breakable doors and stealing all the chest from store to store.

Thats another thing I miss, the breakable shit. I have yet too see any thing on maps on pvk2 where players can break through something, or break anything at all really....

Seriously I could rant about this topic forever, but in the end PvK2 mappers need to step it up. Its not the beauty of the map, ITS THE FUN OF IT. A current example is the remake of pvk_pinegrove....awesome cool map and the remake of it is some shitty dark sourcey detailed out version with more trees too count and blocking everything in view. Not the same old bright open map that we use to have fun with. Instead of the pirates spawning on a waterfall....they now spawn in a dark gloomy cave. I'm sorry but pvk isn't a game for dark gloomy caves.
    Ingame name: {JEBUS_54}
  • ThunderknightThunderknight Senior
    JEBUS... Raiser of the dead tongue.gif

Actually, it IS about the beauty of the map, as well as the fun of it.

Let's face it, a boring, nice looking map or a fun, horrible looking map is still only half as good as a fun, nice looking map. The map definitely has to look good, in addition to being balanced and fun in order for it to be any good at all.

However, I too noticed everything seems more claustrophobic, especially island. Those connecting tunnels are brutal. All that really needs to be done is to widen everything, and it'll be fine.

Well, that, and remake colossus.

*Fake edit*

I'm curious... How was the colossus made in PVKI? Was it simply brush based? I know how it "walked" (or appeared like it was doing so), but how was the actual colossus itself made? Someone told me once it was an entity in hammer, but somehow I don't think so.

Anyway, I'd love to make a map like colossus, but the only thing that concerns me is the territory area. It was really small in PVKI, so how could the size be upped? Perhaps just make the whole thing bigger? ohmy.gif
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Yay, 2 posts bashing both my levels!

Well I made both the originals, so at least you liked them.

Islands tunnels are slightly shorter in height, but not really thinner. The main change is that areas are now shorter, meaning gameplay is more fast paced.

Where Pinegrove is concerned, this

QUOTE("Jebus")
    shitty dark sourcey detailed out version with more trees too count and blocking everything in view

is how I wanted the map too look like when I made the original. I can assure you that its not as dark as you appear to be thinking, infact some areas are very bright.

More importantly, if you had read the Dev Journal I posted, you would have seen that I want the map to be FUN, above all things, this is the most important thing regarding this map. I can assure you that I am not making the level to look pretty, the beautification of the level is secondhand to the gameplay.

The trees add cover to sneak about in (well you can try) and the same level landscape lies underneith (90% wise).

QUOTE("Jebus")
    Instead of the pirates spawning on a waterfall....they now spawn in a dark gloomy cave. I'm sorry but pvk isn't a game for dark gloomy caves.

Again, I have yet to show a picture of the interior of the caves, they might look dark from the overhead shots in the dev journal, but this is because the map in those screens has yet to have any visual or lighting treatment (did you notice how it was all Orange and Grey in those shots?)
    Also, if you look at the old original overhead shot, it has dark caves in connecting the different areas, this is no longer the case in the update, but I have yet to show this

Lastly, you said yourself:

QUOTE("Jebus")
    I'm very weird

happy.gif

QUOTE("Jebus")
    I prefere old half life maps to new source maps, only because the atmosphere they create, I just enjoy the lack of detail and the bright setting

That sounds to me like you prefer no atmosphere ohmy.gif
  • jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    The pvk1 maps were full of visual and balance issues, and had a lot of bug and exploits. Some of the maps were huge, dark, and boring like hellawaits, and whatever that one was with the skull piles. In the original pinegrove, the pirate base was easily spawn camped. Lighthouse allowed you to throw chests outside the world. Colosseum always turned out to be a huge keg whoring fest. Pvk_tourney wasn't even a real map- its was like a silly test map. I think a part of the reason that you are saying that you like the pvk1 maps better is because of nostalgia.

That being said, we could certainly improve our maps. One complaint is that they are too small and narrow with not enough room for ranged combat, and there are no sniper spots so to speak. Our gameplay make the maps seem different as well. Between the keg, the HK 2hsword, and the sniper rifle, you couldn't expect to survive long in PVK1. Now with blocking and the fact that weapons do less damage, you can stay on the battlefield a little longer in PVKII.
  • [BD]ScurvySam[BD]ScurvySam Senior
    For once I will agree with the team.
    I dont know how you can hate on PVKII maps. It suits the combat very well. The old PVK maps suited old PVK combat well.

Maybe you guys just prefer the old style of combat.
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the greatest day of your life. For me? It was Tuesday."
    -M. Bison
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    Nostalgia is a funny thing.
    Our maps may not be perfect, but you're over crediting the originals.

badass.jpg

• The Red CrayonThe Red Crayon 3-7-77 Vigilante #21901923 Senior
    I enjoy the original maps enough to hope for a badass port to pvkII.
    My ingame name is Caligula, i play every so often.
  • darktimesdarktimes Senior
    the old maps werent good balanced or something! they were rofl! they were lulz. the first time i seen collussus i was like WOWWTFOMGAWESOME!
    _
    why are you reading this?
  • MightyLolrusMightyLolrus Senior
    I'd love seeing the old PVK maps converted directly though we keep the PVKII player models. Would look real crazy, like Homer in the real world. rolleyes.gif
    The joy of being able to play PVK again after all this waiting!
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Lighthouse has been converted. http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/61679
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • edited 11:38PM
    Nostalgia exponentially impairs one's judgement as time passes. I'm surprised nobody has called pvk_tavern the greatest thing since God, yet.
    user posted image
  • gubbegubbe Senior
    I have to disagree.. I love the current maps best so far.
    However I would really like to maintain desertruin as it is right now.
    Is it possible to somehow save the current desertruin as "an older version", still usable though, so that it's not completely replaced with the new version when 2.3 comes out?
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    Hey Gaz, I have one question about Pinegrove. Is there going to be a chasm with lava in it like the original? I always thought it was fun to battle around it and jump over it frantically hoping my enemies would slip up and fall in.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Yes, and no

You will see smile.gif
    QUOTE (Gaz @ Mar 5 2009, 09:41 AM) »
    Yes, and no

You will see smile.gif

Rats... another suspenseful cliffhanger. icon_restless.gif

By the way I may be super close to solving my invisible water issue. Someone on interlopers.net pointed out that I had some complex geometry that was causing VIS to not run. I am going to poke around and switch some things to func_detail tonight and see if that does the trick.
  • niknakniknak Authorized Creator, Senior
    QUOTE (Peepeewilson @ Mar 5 2009, 06:58 PM) »
    Rats... another suspenseful cliffhanger. icon_restless.gif

By the way I may be super close to solving my invisible water issue. Someone on interlopers.net pointed out that I had some complex geometry that was causing VIS to not run. I am going to poke around and switch some things to func_detail tonight and see if that does the trick.

in order to have water showing up properly you shouldnt vertex manipulate it water brush. just keep it a normal block

archersig_niknak.png spacer.gif

QUOTE (niknak @ Mar 5 2009, 09:55 PM) »
    in order to have water showing up properly you shouldnt vertex manipulate it water brush. just keep it a normal block

I didn't do any vertex manipulation to the water.
  • niknakniknak Authorized Creator, Senior
    ok, did u use an env_cubemap and waterloadcountrol ?

archersig_niknak.png spacer.gif

• [STA]Wallace[STA]Wallace Senior
    You can't really compare the maps because they are for different games. They both fit the game extremely well in my opinion. I guess it comes down to opinion, but I dont see how you can bash PVKII maps when they are obviously designed good. I haven't played PVKII in forever though. I dont know how pinegrove looks. But island turned out well imo
  • pleasefpleasef Senior
    Just a question: Where can I find screenshots of the PVK maps? It seems like either the internet wasn't invented yet or someones hunting them down like a Lain Coubert.
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
  • MeatyMeaty Senior
    I hate to bump an old topic but, well, still on the first page. Are there any remaining repositories of old PVK1 maps? I used to have a sizable collection, but that's long since gone. Some friends and I wanted to do a little LAN thing, and I wanted to get some of the crazy non-pack-in maps I vaguely remember playing for it.
  • jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    I think most of the good ones like grogboat were already included in the last version.
  • MeatyMeaty Senior
    QUOTE (jRocket @ Jan 23 2010, 10:11 PM) »
    I think most of the good ones like grogboat were already included in the last version.

I was thinking of some specific ones we played a lot, something like pvk_zeppelins, a kinda crappy one we spent too much time on (PVK_siege?), a few others I don't quite remember much solid about.
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    I thought siege was in there too
  • EssyEssy Senior
    I miss Grogboat :'(
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."
    -Shigeru Miyamoto

That be a very nice booty yer have thar, it be a shame if something were to happen to it.
  • ChokenspitChokenspit Senior
    QUOTE (Meaty @ Jan 23 2010, 08:10 PM) »
    I hate to bump an old topic but, well, still on the first page. Are there any remaining repositories of old PVK1 maps? I used to have a sizable collection, but that's long since gone. Some friends and I wanted to do a little LAN thing, and I wanted to get some of the crazy non-pack-in maps I vaguely remember playing for it.

Ekster has the RDS server up with all the old maps

Play, damn you people!
    I am just 3 ducks in a man costume.
  • Hubb Jubb ManagerHubb Jubb Manager Purveyor of Hubb Jubb Juice Senior
    Zomg... Ekster put the server up!? I must investigate.
    Hubb Jubb Manager

Serving Hubb Jubb Juice since 2002
  • WOLFGANGWOLFGANG Senior
    nostalgia for the freaking win! PVK 1.. diablo.. someone make a diablo themed pvkii map smile.gif