Steam Funniness - Help Plx?

MarcoroniMarcoroni Senior
edited 12:26PM in Bugs/Support
Hoping one of you gangsters will know what's up or have some good tips.

I'm thinking it's a problem with my internet, and not an issue with Steam, though that's possible. Every once in a while, I have no idea what triggers it, but all servers will suddenly alternate between normal pings and obscenely high pings, but neither me nor my roommate who uses the same network notice any disconnects on the internets in general. It lasts for quite a while, and completely ruins good games.This happened earlier today when I was running my server, it dropped ScurvySam and I in the middle of a good smash. sad.gif

I don't really know any specifics to what's up, so I'm hoping someone else has encountered it and has a remedy. Plx?

Comments

• DecipherDecipher Senior
    edited 12:26PM
    My ping only tends to skyrocket when a family member is on the net watching streaming video or downloading something massive. Maybe your roomie's just ashamed to tell you he's downloading beastiality vids?
    On an extended hiatus to focus on school.
  • PAcifistiPAcifisti Members, Senior
    IF you supply us with a bit more details... someone might actually be able to help you.

Is the server hosted with the same connection you are playing? (aka you play there over lan)

If yes, did it crash or how did it drop you?

If not... downloading / high ping rarely drops anyone from server, they'll just have high & jumping ping. I suggest you set some program to ping a stable server and see if it timeouts at the same time you get dropped from the game. Then you can blame your connection
    keeper of the True Gaming Area
  • MarcoroniMarcoroni Senior
    I'm hosting dedicated through Steam HLDS on the same computer I play on, nothing crashed, I remained in my server and in the console it said everyone overflowed. As soon as I checked the other servers their pings were being silly and I couldn't join. I'll try the pinging and see if I can narrow it down a bit. I believe I had this same problem with my old internet, so now that I think of it I'm going to try reinstalling Steam sometime. I'm really just hoping someone on here has had the problem before, other than that I'm just going to keep testing things.

And no, we have all our animal related erotica on DVD.
    I doubt it's your steam... to me it sounds like your connection is spiking, specially if these highping sessions only last for few secs - minute

same problem with old internet? what type of connection you have? if you still use the same equipment, I would suggest checking them out also.

We had a broken DSL modem that kept spiking 1-999999 times per day...1sec-1min every spike, until it totally broke down
    Problem was solved for few months with a replacement modem that was the same model than the old one... it broke down (surprise surprise) and the ISP stopped using those crappy telehells... erm, telewells biggrin.gif
    Hehe, I switched from DSL to Cable, completely new router and everything. I'm not positive how long it lasts, but it was around an hour last time I believe. And while it happens, my browser and everything else that connects to the internet run at normal speeds without problem. The only connection I've found so far is that my friend said his internet died for a second last time it happened. I'm not sure if they're actually linked or not, because restarting the server didn't fix anything and I still couldn't join other servers.
    Are you possibly using your ISP's proxy for your browser? I dont know or even pretend to know how your ISP's networks work, but one possible answer is that connection to your ISP's proxy works but not any further, while your ISP's proxy is still connected to outside world.

Are you sure that your other programs connect to internet with normal speeds besides browser? Have you tried pinging in cmd or irc, anyone or any sites? aka start cmd and typing "ping google.com" or "ping pvkii.com" or any hostmask / ip you know of.

Sometimes some gay ISP's reroute "secondary" traffic during rush hours to preserve bandwidth. If your ISP is gay enough, it might do that to "game traffic", although thats only a theory and rather unlikely. In any case, I suggest calling your ISP and asking if they've seen anything weird in their end. Asking never hurts and it has been scientificly proven that asking is closely related to solving problems :wink:
    Thanks for all the help, I'm waiting for it to happen again so I can check things out. I have no knowledge of any network concepts past what I directly use for my servers, so I wouldn't know about the browser/proxy stuff. <3 you, I'll wait and see how it ends up.
    Go go network nuetrality!
    I pinged google and had perfect speed, so no go there. It's something about my steam, I </3 this but I guess I'll reinstall sometime. I've probably tried it before, but hey, it might work.
    If you try hard enough, you might shit diamonds out of your ass. I think the chances are around equal. I havent heard about such steam flaw, but it's true that there are still some steambugs left. Before reinstalling I Suggest that you remove "clientregistry.blob" file from your steam folder. This should have about the same effect that reinstalling but its just mucho faster and easier. I fixed about 95% of my steamproblems during the early & buggy times of steam by removing that file everytime problem occurred, it just keeps gathering useless data and then eventually breaks steam.
    Negative, .blob removal didn't help.
    All right, I'm pretty sure I've found the problem, and it sucks. I looked at my error log, and it told me that people weren't just dropped, they overflowed. Started testing my cable upspeed and reading up, and I really don't have the bandwidth to support a server, my DSL had better upload than my cable. sad.gif

So I guess I'll stop running the Bagel House, plenty of server to go around right now.
    D-: No... I never got in an entmod round... ah poo.