My review of Nuclear Dawn (Get that game!)

Dr. ODr. O Minister of RoggenSenior
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17710

I've seen this game when it was on sale for 2,49€, and since I found the fps/rts hybrid idea interesting I thought I would give it a try, wouldn't lose much money anyways if it would be bad. What a great decision!
It turns out this is an amazing and well designed co-op game, it is definitely not what one would expect from a 2€ game, it is rather a 20€ game.

The gameplay provides a lot of room for in-depth teamwork with a variety of classes and weapon kits, all suited for different situations, and it is decently balanced. Playing this with friends and good communicating commanders on both teams gives quite an intense outcome. You will be fighting for key positions and pushing back of waves of enemies with commander support, you will get behind enemy lines and assasinate their commander or sabotage their power-grid so your fellow players can rush their positions, you will be going after resource points with your squad to ensure your commander gets resources, ...
Each match is different and highly dynamic, depending on what strategy the commanders and soldiers choose. Playing on the same map is never the same thing!

Which brings me to another point: maps. I can't stop getting surprised at how well the maps are designed in this game. They are full of detail, full of alternative paths, full of hidden places you can use to get an advantage, and the atmosphere is just awesome.

The only problem of this game is its small player base. Most of the time there are one or two full servers of 32 players each, and steamgraph says there are 100 players at peak times/evenings.

If you like the idea of fps/rts hybrid games then you should definitely check this out! It goes on sale very often, and even for 9€ the price is still a joke considering what you get. If you watch the store videos and you think it could be cool, don't hesitate! The game is so much better than it appears in those videos!
It is a shame that this game does not get more attention. Only you can change that! Grab your friends and get Nuclear Dawn! NOW!
PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
--friendly fire
--manual block

My maps/plugins:
te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

Comments

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    edited 6:20AM
    FOR MOTHER RUSSIA
  • Teh_SuxTeh_Sux Senior
    edited 6:20AM
    Reminds me of Natural Selection 2. It looks just as great.
    I have learned my lesson at last and may have a real forum signature thanks to the kind mercy of Bingo Bango