Lock up rates

FinlordFinlord Senior
edited January 2015 in PVKII Discussion
Hi everyone,

Those rate changers are real nuisance of pvk. If you dont know abou rates then click the link below and search rates. Basically you can change your rates so radically that your hitbox isnt there where it should be while moving. Several players use this method to gain advantage over other players (like 123 for instance). So cannot these be locked so no one can exploit them? I´m tired of fighting these laggy bastards and wont probably play anymore until (if) they are fixed. I know there have always been these rate changers but now there is more than ever before.

https://developer.va...ki/NS_Variables

Comments

• MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    edited 2:59PM
    Oh dear, I always thought that something was fishy about players like good 'ol 123, but I never thought my suspicions could be real!

If one can truly change his hitbox with these rates, I would consider this a problem with a very high priority that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    I believe servers can lock the range but I assume people can override it somehow. There are also plugins to see rates of players but I don't know if they work in PVK2, might be something I may look into for the SBP servers.

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• bonerificbonerific Banned
    Oh well good morning fools the rate abuse has been happening for 2 years no ones noticed it as of yet? huaheuaheuahueahauehuae
    penis on the face
  • FinlordFinlord Senior
    bonerific wrote:

Oh well good morning fools the rate abuse has been happening for 2 years no ones noticed it as of yet? huaheuaheuahueahauehuae

Finlord wrote:
    I know there have always been these rate changers but now there is more than ever before.
  • Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    edited January 2015
    not surprised about 123 i wouldn't be surprised if 123 had gamma labs hooked up to his veins while playing too
    "Everything with a beginning has an end"
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    did i take a time machine to 2009?
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • RazzorRazzor Senior
    edited January 2015
    This could be amusing.

Every other player does play "cheat" with his rates, except 123 himself :emot-awesome: .

He said.
  • JollygreenJollygreen Troll Senior
    h4h4h4 this is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Finfag can't handle the heat so now he, along with all the other "pro" players, is blaming rates h4h4h4h4

If you wont play anymore until this is "fixed" then good riddance I say

dirty plebb
    1pYiF.gif
  • Saias9Saias9 Senior
    completely forgot about this exploit was so fishy seeing people hit 10 feet away when they have 30 ping
  • bERt0rbERt0r Senior
    I always felt something was off when facing 123, something different from people like Denshin or Trojan who just outplay you.
    For me, this rate changing is downright cheating. Since I have always been raging about people with this strange hitreg and called them lucky, I'm glad to call them out what they are now.
    Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, somthing to something, Yaarrrrrgh!
    I be pro grammar!
  • 123123 Senior
    Oh, a bit late to the party. Sorry.

Of course my rates are changed. I was told my rate should be 50000, so I went with that. I was told my cmd_rate should be 66 (I dont actually remember the number), so I went with that. I was told my updaterate should be 66, so I went with that. I mean, most in here knows about my crusade against rates - I utterly agree they should be locked up and forced on you. But dont take it out on me, Finlord. Need I remind you I'm the only player in Europe who ever achieves a ping under 50 - while you comfortably sit around 95-100 ?

Now you know my rates, is it possible that the problem might lie elsewhere? With you, per chance?
    ¹²³
  • 123123 Senior
    edited January 2015

I believe servers can lock the range but I assume people can override it somehow. There are also plugins to see rates of players but I don't know if they work in PVK2, might be something I may look into for the SBP servers.

I remember either Razzor (cannabis friendly b&breakfast) or Sigh (commoC) having this plugin on their arena servers, so it's definitely possible. It wont do much, but hopefully it could lead to some public shunning, if nothing else.
    ¹²³
  • FinlordFinlord Senior
    edited January 2015
    123 wrote:

Oh, a bit late to the party. Sorry.

Of course my rates are changed. I was told my rate should be 50000, so I went with that. I was told my cmd_rate should be 66 (I dont actually remember the number), so I went with that. I was told my updaterate should be 66, so I went with that. I mean, most in here knows about my crusade against rates - I utterly agree they should be locked up and forced on you. But dont take it out on me, Finlord. Need I remind you I'm the only player in Europe who ever achieves a ping under 50 - while you comfortably sit around 95-100 ?

Now you know my rates, is it possible that the problem might lie elsewhere? With you, per chance?

Hah what a joke. I have played pvk about 7-8 years and I can see clearly when someone is messing with rates. You may have better ping but that doesnt make your hitbox come too late. I will next time record your "crusade" against rates so everyone can see that raging and crying while you exploit them aswell.
  • SphynxSphynx Senior
    edited January 2015
    The connection settings are there to modify the client-server interaction. It is meant so that a player can change settings according to his hardware and internet connection and to match a server's settings in a way that improves the connection between client and server. That's why I'm sceptical about 'locking' client commands that would otherwise be available to every player. Not everyone joining a server comes with the physical properties, so it's always 'uneven' to begin with.

It's sad that certain combinations of settings seem to alter the gameplay in such an unexpected way.

The engine should do something like a hardware benchmark in general and maybe change and optimize the client settings for each server a player joins. It might even be possible to implement something into the game itself, since this seems to be a specific PVKII issue (?). We would first have to find out how exactly changes in the connection and the gameplay (range etc.) correlate with each other.
    mEtxJiK.png
  • 123123 Senior
    edited January 2015
    I agree, Sphynx. Forcing an old Lenovo Laptop to run at my rates probably wouldnt do anyone any favors. But what's the alternative?

I'm able to run at a constant 250-300 fps and my internet has always served me well. So, I figured i should send and recieve as much information from the server as I (and my dear pc) could muster. I remembered a thread from years ago that kinda explained my position on the topic, so I dug it up. This is what the lovely Heidrik Kong has to say about it:

You have that backwards. People like MOW who use rate 7500 are the people causing the problems.

Unless you are on dialup internet, in which case you should not be playing games online, yours and everybody elses "rate" should basically be as high as possible. That would be 100000.
    As far as enforcing minimum, 30000 (at least) is reasonable. Any lower is basically Counter-Strike standard from 1998.

Changing cmdrate doesn't actually change your latency, just what it shows in the scoreboard.

NOW, updaterate should be enforced on the server to be exactly the same as the server's tickrate, no more, no less.

For clients: cmdrate should be the same as updaterate to prevent choke, but cmdrate should be lower than your fps to prevent packet loss. So yes, kids on lousy computers are indeed a network liability.

These are not my opinions, that's actually how these things work (simplified to your application)

And here's the link to the thread in question: http://forums.pvkii....opic=13400&st=0

Again, whether I'm right in doing and thinking this is not up for me to decide. But I am of the firm belief that you (Finlord and God-knows-who) are where the problem lies. Too low rates, and too little information recieved and sent sounds like a good place to start doing some changes. I am in no way a network engineer, so I might be utterly wrong. This is merely my rationale.
    ¹²³
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    If you're getting double and triple reaches from an user like me ( who has been on standard rates for 2-3+ years ) then its fair to say that low rates aren't the cause of this problem. Unless you'd use low rates aswell which I doubt after your statement above. ^

Hasn't there been an update in the past that enforced the rates a little bit? I don't think you can use rate 7500 anymore but I could be wrong.
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • Ukyo KuonjiUkyo Kuonji Captain Main Senior
    ITT someone too lazy to get ahead in the game
    76561198022443233png