Bunny hopping in pvkii is overpowerd

Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
edited 5:45PM in PVKII Discussion
Discuss
"Everything with a beginning has an end"

Comments

• Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited 5:45PM
    A bunny-hopping player can be identified from a mile away, because they either don't stop jumping or they start off combat with a jump. Aiming upwards and/or jumping as they jump should contribute to solid blocks and more accurate attacks.

Jumping typically makes a target easier to predict, as they lose some control. It's not impossible to miss, but it is a lot harder.

The most important aspect to watch out for is an enemy deliberately trying to leap over your head. These players are going to execute a 180 and hit you if you let them. Don't blindly follow them to stairs and certain kinds of uneven terrain.

It's not over-powered, it's just different.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    If you mean CS bhoping, no such thing in PVK2.

If you mean pressing space bar, anyone can do this, very easy, since its just hitting space bar for the most part. It creates more dynamic to the game and dodging. This also reduces the pure jousting moments. I see nothing wrong with jumping. Saying jumping is overpowered is like saying swinging your weapon is overpowered.

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• Black BellamyBlack Bellamy Senior
    edited June 2014

If you mean CS bhoping, no such thing in PVK2.

If you mean pressing space bar, anyone can do this, very easy, since its just hitting space bar for the most part. It creates more dynamic to the game and dodging. This also reduces the pure jousting moments. I see nothing wrong with jumping. Saying jumping is overpowered is like saying swinging your weapon is overpowered.
    I just believe they jump too high especially the skirmisher. they vanish out of your fov like magic it also allows them to get to normally unreachable places and i recall it gives a speed boost too. Not to mention its very annoying when people jump non stop every step and every fight
    I do it sometimes but im not try hard enough to do it 247 throughout the match -_-
    Jumping is part of the mechanics. It gives speed boost and movement give minor damage increase. Jumping also makes the multiple hits from swings miss some, it is part of the offensive + defense strategy. Something difficult for you does not necessarily mean it is op. It is rare that I hear about issues from jumping, as all the new players I see adapt and start jumping too in time.

"Normally unreachable places" I don't understand this, you mean places in maps where you shouldn't normally reach? That is a map issue not a jumping thing and should be clipped if needed. If they are jumping in your face that is again strategy to be more offensive while being defensive. Dynamic, less jousting, no issues.

I do it sometimes but im not try hard enough to do it 247 throughout the match -_-

Edit button is your friend and jumping isn't try hard. Why would pressing a button be try hard? Because you do not want to press it doesn't make it op or try hard. Some people don't want to ever parry and call them try hard for parrying.

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

edited June 2014

Jumping is part of the mechanics. It gives speed boost and movement give minor damage increase. Jumping also makes the multiple hits from swings miss some, it is part of the offensive + defense strategy. Something difficult for you does not necessarily mean it is op. It is rare that I hear about issues from jumping, as all the new players I see adapt and start jumping too in time.

"Normally unreachable places" I don't understand this, you mean places in maps where you shouldn't normally reach? That is a map issue not a jumping thing and should be clipped if needed. If they are jumping in your face that is again strategy to be more offensive while being defensive. Dynamic, less jousting, no issues.

Edit button is your friend and jumping isn't try hard. Why would pressing a button be try hard? Because you do not want to press it doesn't make it op or try hard. Some people don't want to ever parry and call them try hard for parrying.
    I can jump and press the q button just fine i have had tones of ppl raging in the chat becose of it lol it was fun and im not the only one who has brought this up. Parrying is an intended mechanic of the game bunny hopping is not. Closest thing i can compare it to is "Dropshoting" after every kill even though its way different. As for unreachable places i mean the rocks and trees on island where you cant normal jump up there. Also i seen the pvkii patches and if they felt the need to patch bunny hopping at least 2 times then there clearly Was/Is a problem

I can jump and press the q button just fine i have had tones of ppl raging in the chat becose of it lol if was fun and im not the only one who has brought this up. Parrying is an intended mechanic of the game bunny hopping is not. Closest thing i can compare it to is "Dropshoting" after every kill even though its way different. As for unreachable places i mean the rocks and trees on island where you cant normal jump up there. Also i seen the pvkii patches and if they felt the need to patch bunny hopping at least 2 times then there clearly Was/Is a problem

How is jumping not part of the game when it gives you the damage and speed bonus on purpose?

The rocks on island is an issue with the map not the jumping.

"Was" a problem.

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

edited June 2014

How is jumping not part of the game when it gives you the damage and speed bonus on purpose?

The rocks on island is an issue with the map not the jumping.

"Was" a problem.
    Its called a developer oversight take "Quickscopeing" in other games for example do you think thats intended just becose its there? No its an oversight and the rock and tree issues on island still remain

Its called a developer oversight take "Quickscopeing" in other games for example do you think thats intended just becose its there? No its an oversight and the rock and tree issues on island still remain

Who told you it was a developer oversight

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

Who told you it was a developer oversight
    Who told you it wasn't
  • FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    Jumping is overpowered? Now I have seen everything...

Nah didnt say normal jumping
    edited June 2014
    In pvkii bunnyhopping is not like in Quake or HL1 for example. You can't gain speed.

Or do you mess up bunnyhopping with crouchjumping and air strafing?
    So you're making assumptions of what the devs say is an oversight, guess we're done here then

Nah didnt say normal jumping

"Bhopping" in PVK2 is just pressing the space bar multiple times

Space bar is an oversight didn't you hear

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

edited June 2014

In pvkii bunnyhopping is not like in Quake or HL1 for example. You can't gain speed.

Or do you mess up bunnyhopping with crouchjumping and air strafing?
    Actually prior to an update you could gain a lot of speed in pvkii by bunny hopping most of thats gone but some of its still there even in tf2 you used to gain a lot of speed by doing it but they eventually patched that out over time. Hopefully source 2 will fix this engine bug
    edited June 2014

So you're making assumptions of what the devs say is an oversight, guess we're done here then

"Bhopping" in PVK2 is just pressing the space bar multiple times

Space bar is an oversight didn't you hear
    Now your just being silly <_< also your making an assumption by saying its not an oversight
    Jumping is op in every game that has it. pls nerf

Jumping is op in every game that has it. pls nerf
    You are also now being silly <_<
    edited June 2014
    What do you even mean by "bunnyhopping", constantly pressing spacebar and strafing or something?

If you meant strafing, that's a technique like charging a weapon in combat.

Strafing is op because you can actually be able to dodge something, every swing is supposed to hit the target right?

What do you even mean by "bunnyhopping", constantly pressing spacebar and strafing or something?

If you meant strafing, that's a technique like charging a weapon in combat.

Strafing is op because you can actually be able to dodge something, every swing is supposed to hit the target right?
    Google
    Bunnyhopping, or bunny jumping, is a term used in video games to describe an advanced movement technique in which a player jumps repeatedly, instead of running, in order to move faster.

Like I said earlier, you can't gain extra speed by jumping repeatedly in pvkii, and looking at your posts you clearly meant crouchjumping etc. when you talked about island rocks for example.

Like I said earlier, you can't gain extra speed by jumping repeatedly in pvkii, and looking at your posts you clearly meant crouchjumping etc. when you talked about island rocks for example.
    People generally call "Crouchjumping" bunny hopping as well or at least thats my experience in servers.
    Crouchjumping, duckjumping or whatever(ctrl+space) isn't a developer oversight at all. Some maps have places where you can only get by crouchjumping. That would have been removed in the first release anyway if it was unwanted.
    edited June 2014

Crouchjumping, duckjumping or whatever(ctrl+space) isn't a developer oversight at all. Some maps have places where you can only get by crouchjumping. That would have been removed in the first release anyway if it was unwanted.
    They did try to remove it (patch note quote) "Trees can no longer be climbed" but they dun goofed and you still can. Not to mention that crouch jumping is not acknowledged by the game whatsoever ( in game tips ect)
    edited June 2014
    I meant places that you are supposted to get in by crouchjumping, not the trees in island.

But I guess that's enough, I'm terrible at arguing with people anyway, going to sleep.

EDIT: sorry for poor word choices, I should keep hands away from post button when tired...
    edited June 2014

I the meant places that you are supposted to get in by crouchjumping, not the trees in island.

But I guess that's enough, I'm terrible at arguing with people anyway, going to sleep.
    Whos arguing? Its just a convo/debate. Also i dont trust the patch notes at all tbh there are a lot of unlisted changes that go in (Example captain speed nerf ect)
    edited June 2014

Oops double post
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Being able to climb up the trees in bt_island is unwanted, however being able to crouch-jump is not unwanted.

There are other areas in maps where crouch-jumping helps tremendously with maneuvering, so crouch-jump is not an oversight. The speed boost that one could gain from it was removed in one of the past patches, as only the speed boost was unwanted.

And in my personal opinion, crouch-jumping is not "overpowered". It's a viable strategy, which requires some mastery, as just randomly jumping mid fight won't really help. Instead, a deliberate jump in an unexpected moment can make all the difference. To counter it, I try to gain a little distance to my opponent, so it is easier to see him once he jumps and then aim up at his feet as he is in mid-air.
    edited June 2014
    UberMann wrote:

Being able to climb up the trees in bt_island is unwanted, however being able to crouch-jump is not unwanted.

There are other areas in maps where crouch-jumping helps tremendously with maneuvering, so crouch-jump is not an oversight. The speed boost that one could gain from it was removed in one of the past patches, as only the speed boost was unwanted.

And in my personal opinion, crouch-jumping is not "overpowered". It's a viable strategy, which requires some mastery, as just randomly jumping mid fight won't really help. Instead, a deliberate jump in an unexpected moment can make all the difference. To counter it, I try to gain a little distance to my opponent, so it is easier to see him once he jumps and then aim up at his feet as he is in mid-air.
    I will keep that tip in mind. Thanks for clearing things up. Also i was using the tree climbing thing as an example it really dosent do anything for you in game apart from making you a sitting duck
  • cainsithcainsith Beta Tester
    As someone who basically jumps all the time 24/7 maybe I can give some insight as to why some of us do it. Not only was I a quake player in my day, but an avid nexuiz player as well, which has made me lean toward jumping over the years, though they are not the sole reason why I do it in pvk.

Not only does jumping give me the ability to gain extra damage with momentum, it allows me to traverse terrain more easily in my opinion (IE essentially hopping over terrain that you can get stuck on), and although you don't really gain speed you can maintain a relatively fast speed, which when mastered will still allow an HK to catch up to some faster classes when they try to kite.

I prefer a faster playstyle and use autoparry while I "Bhop", which allows me to attack from various angles and be able to defend myself without having to worry about where I move.

As for it being overpowered I definitely don't agree. it has many drawbacks to it as well. Once you jump you can't just stop jumping, and that in itself is a big vulnerability because your opponent will know you can only go down from there. Plus there tends to be a zig zag pattern with jumping usually, which becomes pretty predictable. Not to mention you have to time your jumps and if you get stuck on terrain even a little bit you can get demolished pretty fast.