Independent Modding and Game Development (survey)

Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
edited 11:54AM in General Discussion
For a business class project, I have to survey people about their views and opinions.

The concept is:

A website for young modders (skinners, mapmakers etc...), to learn techniques and possibly master an element of basic game design. The website would be divided into three basic forums: Textures, maps and models. The forums would have experts in these fields on-hand to teach as well as other amateur modders. The goal of the website is to teach modders the skills needed to break into the game industry.

If you wouldn't mind, please tell me what you think.

What do you think could be improved about this idea?

If you want to be/are/were a amateur game dev or modder, would you use a site like this?

If the site had a membership fee, what would be a good price to pay monthly?
“I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall

Comments

• PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited December 2013
    Dr.Cleric wrote:

What do you think could be improved about this idea?

Sites like these already exist (fpsbanana, interlopers, polycount, nexus, steam workshop) so I think improving the idea would require you to find a way to make it unique. Perhaps offering members a way to get in touch with real industry professionals would be a good way to set yours apart from the rest. People working for real companies like Valve could be paid to host streamed workshops where they give tips and show their techniques to members.

Dr.Cleric wrote:

If you want to be/are/were a amateur game dev or modder, would you use a site like this?

Absolutely.

Dr.Cleric wrote:

If the site had a membership fee, what would be a good price to pay monthly?

It would need to be very low - modding is an inherently free thing. You're supposed to be able to learn and develop skills at no cost, so implementing a membership fee might be detrimental to the website's popularity. Perhaps this could be justified by what I said before about professional workshops and classes.
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    edited December 2013
    Thank you for the input.

I was thinking just that. The site would have industry professionals on-hand to teach you and the best and brightest on the site could get picked up by studios, it would help the website stand out among others like moddb.

I wouldn't dare charge more than one figure a month for this service.

I have a new question:

If the site was open to everyone, you would be given access to the forums and be able to converse with other modders, but for around $2.50 a month you would be given special membership benefits such as being able to ask experts for help. Would you use the site?

And please, if you have any ideas on how to improve upon this concept, suggestions are welcome.
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    edited 11:54AM
    I don´t think a fee would work at all if the only thing offered is personal contact.

Problem 1: You would have to pay those experts, otherwise you can´t charge money for a service like that.
    (or at least you won´t find anyone who guarantees to answer all those stupid "where is my grid!?" questions :D)
    And there is no way you can go financially viable like that, people will soon find out that they can get most info for free via google.

Problem 2: As PeePee said, there are a lot of forums out there already, i guess every modder visits 1 or 2 of them regularly.
    Almost all the "experts" already use one of those, and if they have a nice day they help out others for free.
    You would need to beat sites like polycount in terms of usability and content to get those people to your site.
    (aka giant workload over a long time period)

Problem 3: Assuming you found people who work as experts for the site. They answer questions and get a piece of the money cake,
    but what would hinder them at telling their student: "listen up, if you want a mentor, just pay me via paypal and you get my Steam/E-Mail/PhoneNo,
    much cooler for you and i don´t have to share the money with SUPERSEXYMODDINGFORUM.com".?

slugsig.jpg

• TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    the modding scene is very much internetzed, so there aren´t really any niches left to squeeze your site into.
    All the communities and forums are there since years, so for internet terms the modding scene is standing on solid ground.

My suggestion would be to look into other, less internetzed communities and see what you can do there.
    for example backpackers, farmers, school teachers, i think your concept could work for those ;)

slugsig.jpg

• Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    I'm not planning on actually making this website. :emot-awesome:

Thank you very much for the reply, I have enough for my project now.