dm_fightpits

BlahongasBlahongas Senior
edited January 2013 in Community Maps
Recently picked up an old unfinished project, and managed to not get bored by and drop it as usual with mapping.
The concept is a deathmatch map with closed off dueling rooms, kept as simple as possible. Two enters (spawns) and noone leaves before the other is dead.

2012-12-29_00001_zpsa2cf72ac.jpg
2012-12-29_00002_zps9fa925cf.jpg
2012-12-29_00003_zps311b1adf.jpg
2012-12-29_00004_zps76bd7333.jpg

Download Beta 2

Comments

• DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    edited 6:38AM
    So that's what you've been doing! Been wondering what you did with the SDK :P
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • BlahongasBlahongas Senior
    Yup yup, thats it :)
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Looks like a very interesting concept and may be useful for duels or teaching new players how to play better.

The mapping itself looks rather basic and I see no 3D skybox. A shame, some simple details here and there could really spice this up, things like columns, pillars, archways, all sorts of support structures.

One more thing, I have some concern about that second combat area above the first. You want to encourage duels, but people could just drop down from above and screw the combatants below them over.
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    also set the brightness of the lights in that squarish thingy a little lower and make it more orange looking.
    j7rk8n.jpg

Looks like a very interesting concept and may be useful for duels or teaching new players how to play better.

The mapping itself looks rather basic and I see no 3D skybox. A shame, some simple details here and there could really spice this up, things like columns, pillars, archways, all sorts of support structures.

One more thing, I have some concern about that second combat area above the first. You want to encourage duels, but people could just drop down from above and screw the combatants below them over.

It's playable but not complete, im going to keep working with it and its details.

They die when they drop, and you can't shoot through the holes.
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Blahongas wrote:

It's playable but not complete, im going to keep working with it and its details.

They die when they drop, and you can't shoot through the holes.

Ah, alright that solves one issue, but creates another. At least to me, that upper combat area seems much much harder to fight in. And since you "spawn in" you can't choose which combat area to fight in. May not be an issue, but I think it would be nicer on players to let them choose where they want to fight.

Ah, alright that solves one issue, but creates another. At least to me, that upper combat area seems much much harder to fight in. And since you "spawn in" you can't choose which combat area to fight in. May not be an issue, but I think it would be nicer on players to let them choose where they want to fight.

I guess it isn't better motivated than me thinking fighting on ledges is fun, I might scrap it. The gamemode is deathmatch and not lts though, spawning with an opponent won't happen every time, and if you are unwillingly trapped and die you don't sit out a minute.
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    I think that maybe putting a net (like in Tortuga) in between the planks on the second level would work.
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall
    Dr.Cleric wrote:

I think that maybe putting a net (like in Tortuga) in between the planks on the second level would work.

That's a good idea, keeps the atmosphere. I'll try it.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Hey! Really cool idea! I hope you can craft it into something special.

Glad to see someone found the dz textures contributed by Tom Fowler!

Co-Lead | Level Designer

Hey! Really cool idea! I hope you can craft it into something special.

Glad to see someone found the dz textures contributed by Tom Fowler!

That's some proper wood there.

2013-01-09_00001_zpsaadd76d8.jpg

A bit more progress made. Have had issues with spawn points, most simple fix was to place them outside the dueling rooms. More overall detail and nets to make the upper areas similar in difficulty added.

Download Beta2
  • Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    I tested it out, pretty damn good!
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall