edited 7:19PM in Community Maps
tw_hotstone

1. Introduction
2. Download
3. Description
4. Notes
5. Media

---Introduction---
So after... a year or so, I sat down and got a lot of work done here. Why? Because I felt like it. I know this won't be played, but hell, might at least contribute something. Also, this time around, I am posting the work myself, no one else who has to take care of this thread.

DOWNLOAD beta 4 NEW
Installation instructions (if necessary) can be found within the .zip archive.

-Removed the large lava room, it was wasted space and confusing for players
-Added more diversity (and lava) to most rooms
-Added some traps
-Removed swinging blade traps (they just didn't work as intended)
-Rearranged spawns
-Changed layout
-Got rid of every ladder there is, simply because players don't like using ladders

---Description---
This is a medium to large sized map, with emphasis on traps and many different routes. The game mode is trinket wars.
The idea was to create a map like temple, but somewhat different aesthetics and plenty of traps that observant players can use against their opponents, rather than just evading them and hoping your opponent does not know the traps yet.

---Notes---
This is still a work in progress, the gameplay is almost completely untested and balancement issues might exist. Please keep in mind I can not balance anything without anyone helping. I also can not find all bugs that exist on my own, so any suggestions you have or bugs you find are most welcome to be posted here.

This is not supposed to be a copy of temple, by the way. I simply like temple a lot and this is my form of tribute to that fun and forgotten map. Not that I expect my map to be played any more than temple, but at least I feel like I could at least contribute something to my favourite hl2 mod.

---Media---
The Layout; Pirate spawn in bottom left, Viking spawn in centre top, Knight spawn in bottom right
tw_hotstone_b40000.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40001.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40002.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40003.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40004.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40005.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40006.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40007.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40008.jpg

tw_hotstone_b40009.jpg

Comments

• CelestiaCelestia Senior
    edited 7:19PM
    it's too big, even with full server.
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    I think it's ok since it is territory, so people go for the given territories.

Did you apply for the team?
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

• UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Too big, eh... heh. I like big maps, I just don't enjoy cluttered small maps as much. And besides, we have plenty of tiny - small maps already, which provide the crazy hectic fun element of PVKII. I like to think I provide the other, more slow paced approach, but with more to explore and I do my best to make the environment a part of the fight, not just scenery.

I do admit it is easy to get lost, though. Hence I already removed the very large lava room to make it easier. And the layout shouldn't be all that hard to get down, I think. Just have to play it more often than just once. I remember I didn't know how all maps played at first. Desertruin was one of those maps that took me a good few days to really get used to, but since then it is one of my favourite maps, simply because it provides more environment interaction than the nowadays all too popular arena or even island. Those are two alright maps, but a bit too monotonous for my taste.

And just a quick note, this is trinket wars, not territory. I don't even know if this could be made to work with territory...

I have also not applied to the team... yet. Might consider doing that though, quite honestly.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    I liked the original one even with its size as it reminded me of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Haven't played this new one yet though~

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• NaviboiNaviboi Senior
    Hehe, I really like this map, and yes, it is very big, but its still tons of fun. Its pretty visually impressive too
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited August 2012
    We're really nice and stuff - do apply! If you do, I propose you do something fresh, something new, something that would make your map stand out and possibly fill a void for the mod.

Co-Lead | Level Designer