Has PVKII considered a Kickstarter approach?

veeshan28veeshan28 Senior
edited 4:34AM in PVKII Discussion
Hi guys, I'm brand new here, but I've been an on-again off-again player of PVKII for a bit over 5 years.

I check back every six months of not playing or so to see if there has been any significant progress, particularly in the classes. I know very little about what information the dev team has or hasn't given out for the game, but obviously its been some time since new classes have been released; a topic I'm sure has been beaten to death around here.

What I'm wondering is, has the PVKII team looked into a kickstarter to drum up a chunk of funding to push the game out at a much accelerated rate, or is financing not the hold up here?

Another financing idea, PC gaming has taken a massive shift since the public beta was first released, with a some of the biggest names in PC gaming being Free to Play/Freemium, yet generating respectable amounts of money. Obviously the framework for freemium content isn't implemented at this point, there would have to be some sort of experience/unlocks/visual knick knacks to sell people on, but I think it could work.

Or maybe none of this is even viable because of using its tie-ins to Valve/Source? Like I've said, I know very little about this whole thing, but I would gladly spend a few dollars to see the game finished sooner rather than later. It was an idea that was nagging at me, and not something I saw mentioned here, so I just wanted to bring it to you guys.

Regardless, thanks team for all of the work you do, and giving me hours of fun during the times I've played!

-Veeshan28

Comments

• DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    edited 4:34AM
    I don't think anyone of the devs have this mod as their "Job", its mostly just a hobby, so it would be hard to get a team together who want to work on it full time.
    Also there are people who have left the mod but have contributed bits and bobs to the game, someone might get angry.

Personally i would like to see some more progression in the development, like doing the streams again and using the twitter a bit more.
    Promoting the mod will only help the speed of the development.
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    I personally made an agreement with myself, i.e. not to play pvk until 2.5 release. It's know a few months since I declared that and I hope they hurry up, since I do not play my pvk server is down, too...
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

• KNUDA.knatchKNUDA.knatch Senior
    Dr. O wrote:

I personally made an agreement with myself, i.e. not to play pvk until 2.5 release. It's know a few months since I declared that and I hope they hurry up, since I do not play my pvk server is down, too...

that's all you bud
  • DenshinDenshin Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    I really want things to be released too :S surprised it's not, everything looks so finished.

QUOTE (Trojan•Clinique @ Nov 8 2011, 08:06 PM)
    Denshin is a rather overpowered class.

QUOTE (Lucas =) @ Jan 12 2012, 08:16 AM)
    We're currently working on making Denshin less OP.
    signatureopaquesmall.png

• Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior

that's all you bud

My english teacher would have said: "This is not a sentence, I do not understand!"
    I don't either ;)
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

• Metal StormMetal Storm Senior
    I agree with veeshan28; since there are quite a lot of people awaiting the new release, starting a Kickstarter or Indiegogo page should help.

Not to pay a full dev. team, but instead to promote/advertise the mod to get more people interested (I remember much more servers couple years ago).

After you have a significant increase in player-base size, you can start investing in a proper on-board dev. team to accelerate progress.
    banesignature.jpg
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    Launching a Kickstarter campaign would imply that we are going to start charging money for our game. We aren't allowed to do that (without first licensing source), nor would we ever want to. Lack of money is not what's holding us back.
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    Welcome to the pvkii forums Veeshan and Metal storm.
  • PeykoPeyko Senior
    edited July 2012

Launching a Kickstarter campaign would imply that we are going to start charging money for our game. We aren't allowed to do that (without first licensing source), nor would we ever want to. Lack of money is not what's holding us back.

Excuse me for being rude Wilson, but what is then holding you guys back from releasing the update and other things? I have too waited a long time, a little too long! ;) Dont get me wrong, i do not want to rush you guys. Just wondering what is holding you guys back. As you are stating above, there is something? Or do i misinterpret?

Sincerly, Peyko.
  • CrackpunchCrackpunch Senior
    Peyko wrote:

Excuse me for being rude Wilson, but what is then holding you guys back from releasing the update and other things? I have too waited a long time, a little too long! ;) Dont get me wrong, i do not want to rush you guys. Just wondering what is holding you guys back. As you are stating above, there is something? Or do i misinterpret?

Sincerly, Peyko.

Because it isn't done.
    trolololsig.png

Join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PVKANZ A group for Australians and New Zealanders
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    i'd like me some money, if you have too much pls PM me. I'm willing to help.
    But as i finished work on townsquare already and am travelling Japan atm it wouldnt speed up anything

slugsig.jpg

• ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    Crackpunch wrote:

Because it isn't done.

Actually, as far as I'm aware, we are done. But we have some problems with relentless crashes without crashdumps. We only need to fix that, and it's completely releasable.
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • CrackpunchCrackpunch Senior
    edited July 2012
    ZinuX wrote:

Actually, as far as I'm aware, we are done. But we have some problems with relentless crashes without crashdumps. We only need to fix that, and it's completely releasable.

Well it's not my definition of done if it is crashing as often as you say. But I guess since you've moved from actual development to bug squashing you've made good progress; hurrah.
    trolololsig.png

Join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PVKANZ A group for Australians and New Zealanders
  • BadGuyBadGuy Senior
    You can always donate if you like the game.
    "if you lived near me I would've drowned you in a bucket of your mothers blood" - Wolfy Snackrib
    QUOTE (Sven Svennson @ Mar 9 2010, 04:12 AM) »
    Maybe I need a break from PVK.