tw_snowyvillage

edited November 2011 in Community Maps
Work in progress
UPDATED
On 1th of november

For a while now, i've been working on a PVKII map after i gave up on my previous WIP's a year or two ago. The map will be Trinket Wars and will be fully covered into snow. At the moment i'm still pretty much working on the layout and i plan on making the map bigger and much more detailed when i'm done with the layout. There are still alot of things to get improved such as the displacements and houses but i just thought it would be nice to share my WIP with the community.

This is the old layout ingame, there's now a cave in the middle with soon 3 paths leading to the 3 bases.

There's a 3d skybox with water around the map.
I also plan on making the 3d skybox much more crowded, i have already added a few displacements that turned out to big, will change that later.

Here's a shot of the current cave, probably where the vikings will spawn at the start of TW.

::EDIT - Made a second entrance, changed lighting a bit.

and here's a small preview of how the map looked like from the sides :

Added cave in the middle which you cant see on this old pic

The pirate boat at the moment is the Pirates spawn, perhaps i'll make it more closed off like Island and Trium.

- I started working on the cave in the middle, made already one path, middle is 25% done. Here's a quick preview of the middle :

Feel free to give ideas, suggestions or opinions i'll be happy to recieve them. I'll post new pictures very soon.

Comments

• TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    edited 6:11AM
    i like the feel of the last screen but your layout scares me, looks like a flat battlefield a la 300 and structures like the cave are dead ends

slugsig.jpg

• edited 6:11AM
    QUOTE (Tschoppo @ Oct 28 2011, 06:20 PM) »
    i like the feel of the last screen but your layout scares me, looks like a flat battlefield a la 300 and structures like the cave are dead ends

Thanks for the quick reply, i made those dead ends to pretty much seal the map off, i personally think it's better this way instead of working on the playable area immediatly, perhaps i should add another entrance to the cave. It looks quite flat because you can't see the water in the layout, you won't really worry too much about it with the water added ingame, especially when i get to start on the more playable area in the middle of the map, i still really gotta figure out what to add there, perhaps i'll make a small cave in the middle with like 3 paths that head to each base smile.gif
  • bERt0rbERt0r Senior
    You know what PVK2 needs? A christmas themed map! Snowy Xmas Village would be so awesome if you get it done till Christmas.
    Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, somthing to something, Yaarrrrrgh!
    I be pro grammar!
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    I like the last idea about having a cave area in the middle leading to all bases.

Preparing maps for a special occasion release can be either wishful thinking or extremely motivating. I hope it's the latter for you. No matter which direction you take to complete this map, the community will play it biggrin.gif

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• Lt.HargroveLt.Hargrove Senior
    This looks pretty good, I am not even as half as good at mapping as you.
    I am sorrying for my poor English.

In my experience, you can get something good done with enough TIME. That's the really what you need the most of to get something rolling and into game.

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• edited 6:11AM
    yeah, lately i just can't get enough of SourceSDK, hopefully this time i can make a change and actually be proud of what i make, i find that hard. Perhaps i'm too much of a perfectionist and lose interest if things dont go the way i want them to go. I don't think i'll give up on this map, it looks far better than i ever imagined it could be, considering outdoor area's never been my thing.
    Remember to take breaks too eh smile.gif Go to hell and back for a bit biggrin.gif

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• JabbaJabba Senior
    This looks very cool, but it looks too open. Add more points of interest in addition to the cave, and more props etc. Keep up the good work smile.gif
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks!

I will certainly do.

I'll add a new video very soon with the updated map, the last video was quite old!
  • edited November 2011

The video turned out way darker than i thought, it looks so much better ingame!

Update :

Added a start of a cave in the middle of the map with 3 starting paths.
    Smoothed up some land.

I would also like to ask what the hell is wrong with the water, it suddenly started after i changed some things of my map. Under the water there's a purple/pink texture and above the surface it doesn't really look good either, also added a water_lod_controll and also already tested it withouth, help!

The 3d skybox water looks far better and detailed, the main land water used to be like that aswell.
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    I would also like to ask what the hell is wrong with the water, it suddenly started after i changed some things of my map. Under the water there's a purple/pink texture and above the surface it doesn't really look good either, also added a water_lod_controll and also already tested it withouth, help!

maybe try to rebuild cubemaps?
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    then change map to another one and back again

slugsig.jpg

Cubemaps neeeded for water. Try another texture. How would the norse kind feel in the map?

When searching I found this - which elegantly explains what I have in my imagination:
    http://gadgetgrid.gadgetgridllc.netdna-cdn...-bakeware-2.jpg
    Buildings arranged in way to help performance.

Also, adding this could help the map. You could add crevasses and tunnels through it. Even have parts that fall down onto the player as they pass by! biggrin.gif
    http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/alanpoul...o-the-ocean.jpg

You could even have ice chunks that ppl can jump and walk across. I'd make the water hurt the players quickly. Make entry unforgiving to help keep them away from the walls of the skybox
    http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/m...mp;01NA=ck&

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• edited November 2011
    QUOTE (Tschoppo @ Nov 1 2011, 05:44 PM) »
    maybe try to rebuild cubemaps?
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    then change map to another one and back again

I tried that and it doesn't work, these messages appears in the console :

No such variable "$fogstart" for material "nature/water_coast01_beneath"
    No such variable "$fogend" for material "nature/water_coast01_beneath"
    No such variable "$fogcolor" for material "nature/water_coast01_beneath"
    No such variable "$fogenable" for material "nature/water_coast01_beneath"

I'm thinking it has to do something with the fog because it happend right after i added fog, any ideas?

I already removed the fog, still happening. I also love the water texture so i'm not sure if i want to change that.

I like the houses idea but i'm not so sure where to add that, it does take quite some space but still, keep the ideas coming!
  • SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    edited November 2011
    Great to see a Viking related map! I like the concept, I get the feeling of it being a fishermen's village somewhere off in Greenland or similar. Any quick feedback like this off the bat would be some height differences and a bit more naturally placed objects. Nevertheless looks promising!
    Another vote for the fishing outpost idea! biggrin.gif

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• JabbaJabba Senior
    I second the height variation request. Also, maybe you could try connecting the two caves with a tunel or something?
    a1ntOi0.gif?1
  • edited November 2011
    Dont worry, the height variation will come very soon when i'm going to work on the outer areas of the cave. I think there will also be a path going from the middle to the other cave but i think i will also make a small opening in the middle of that path so you can also go outside or else the map is going to be mainly the caves.
    Pathways that lead up and over the cave tunnels could help too. Im thinking of a big chunk of ice that has some caves down below and narrow pathways leading up to a small arena of some kind.

Co-Lead | Level Designer

• anemoneanemone Senior
    big cluster fridge and skirmisher running grounds
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
  • edited November 2011
    Sorry that progress have been a little slow, i'm also working on another map now, nms_grocier store

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry108894

I'll still work on the pvkii one aswell but i need some breaks in between.

I'm not so sure what you mean with skirmishers running grounds but isn't every tw a clusterfridge? tongue.gif
  • edited December 2011
    I just wanted to tell everyone that i currently stopped working on this map, the mod NMRIH fits my mapping much more and i've made some incredible progress for that mod that i think wouldn't be able to do for pvkii. Sorry guys.

for anyone interested :

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6526
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    Too bad! I wish you luck with NMRIH map, and hopefully you'll get back to finishing this map soon. icon_pirate2.gif
    dragonattacksig03-1.png