Gentlemen's Club

edited September 2011 in Servers
So far: [Island|24/7|Mature|HLstatsX|NYC]
Since the people go after playercounts if they're looking to join a server, there are many different servers that provide you with a place to play. Especially if you're from Europe.

[cut a few paragraphs out]

Even though I'm from Europe, I set up an island server located near the financial district of NYC, that is able to provide you with the same average pings, aswell as public webinterfaces and serverplugins for HLStatsX and SourceBans. (-> Points/Stats etc.)

Copied from the Steam group description:

Since September 15, 2011

Gentlemen's Club [Island|24/7|Mature|HLstatsX|NYC]

66.199.236.242:27015

The server, with it's hosting location in New York City near the financial district, is great for bringing together not only players from the USA, but also from different continents all over the world.

We want to create a mature environment for players of PVKII, while not being too narrow-minded and abusive. We don't spend money to gain power over people in the internet. We spend it, because we believe that every dictatorially constituted community needs a counterpart to keep things in balance. We aren't some kind of clan or closed community: It doesn't matter where you come from, how experienced you are or if you're a clan or a single person. If you agree with our rules, we would like to welcome you in the...

Gentlemen's Club on PVKII!

In the future we're going to set up a little forum for unban/admin/feature requests. But until then, we'll only focus on the server itself.

[cut out a bit more]

Steam Group

Main website
HLStatsX
SourceBans
Rules

Comments

• PerspectivePerspective Senior
    edited 4:57AM
    dang 2 bad i dont play island :/
  • MaydayMayday Engineering Supreme Senior
    good server, full population on day one
  • fredman555fredman555 Senior
    Good ping, good atmosphere and im seeing alot of new faces. Definitely worth playing on
    Fantastic! A fearsome and formidable force; frightening to the frantic masses of folk. With full fortitude he ferociously forays the futile and foul faggotry that fills this fortuitous fix. But in de facto, this fiend is but a faint fluent flame. but i forfend, for i for surely sound like a fool, flaunting my vocabulary so foolhardily. some make me a favorite and others title me as a freak. but you my friend, may call me Fred
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    Good server, hasn't "web-banned" me for no reason
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    Well, it isn't CVG, so that should be good enough reason for most people who like island~ (funny they have the same description on the server list more or less)

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• edited September 2011
    Ofcourse it's not directly intended to be some kind of "copy", but there are other similarities: Parts of the team consist of former CvG admins and players, who couldn't agree with it anymore - for the same bunch of reasons mentioned in these forums. The location is also NYC, plugins are almost the same and the rules of the server have only slightly been modified, since most of the former and current admins in CvG never enforced them as they were set, but instead had a certain tolerance that would fit to the PVKII community.

I want to provide people with an alternative server (pings, plugins, map) for that region. I'm quite happy that the Beta Testers don't boycott the server and visit it from time to time.

I'm just worried about the reason why people don't join our group: Many play in here, but decline a group invitation, because they do not only like to play on this server, but on all others, too.

http://forums.convictgaming.com/viewtopic....643&t=16996

As I said: Everyone is allowed to play in here, aslong as they follow they rules (CvGs included). I really don't have the time to care about such arguments.
    Oddly enough, despite being in the same location as CvG's server I get 90 lower ping here.
  • edited September 2011
    I just wanted to inform you people that I was banned by "Violent Crimes" for unknown reasons. (You all know what reasons that would be.) Asking a few friends, it seems like he also forced all his admins to remove me from their friendslist, even though we wrote alot and those guys were quite ok.

I also want to tell you that everyone, including Dlqs and CvGs, are still welcome on my server and wont get banned. (We had a few of them playing in here.)

Lets not make this too personal. Im not Violent Crimes.

New stuff is on its way!

See you all on GC! icon_agapirate.gif
    edited September 2011
    I'm going to recommend you ban Argityarg on the basis that he rejoined about 30 times over the course of an hour. All he did this evening was rank whore, leaving every time he was going to die.

edit: on your server, that is.
  • edited 4:57AM
    After the next mapchange, the current server settings will be the following:

sv_minrate 10000
    sv_maxrate 50000
    sv_minupdaterate 20
    sv_maxupdaterate 67
    sv_mincmdrate 30
    sv_maxcmdrate 67
    sv_use_steam_voice 0

Feedback and suggestions are much appreciated!

To speak for myself, it feels way better then the old settings. There's a huge difference for me. Other players also told me it's a lot better now.

To get informed about the latest changes to the server, join our steam public group. See you ingame!
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    <!--quoteo(post=229350:date=Sep 20 2011, 10:32 PM:name=HEI

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

<!--quoteo(post=229350:date=Sep 21 2011, 03:32 AM:name=HEI
  • DIFTOWDIFTOW Senior
    Rules are a direct copy and paste of CVG's rules.
    Non-existent rules are enforced with no warnings and bans.

CVG admins running the servers, such as templar, locomotion, etc.

Accusations of hacks against good players, followed by bans, have occurred.
    Raging in text chat and mic by butt hurt admins. Same old CVG, just a new name.
  • edited September 2011
    First of all: CvG wouldn't comment on your complaint.

Since I'm from Europe, I can't be online during the US main playing times. I talked to you and Mayday and I'll discuss a new set of rules with my headadmins. But I have to mention that you maybe should have approached me in a different way. I'm hosting GC to provide you with an alternative server, but keep in mind that I'm the one that sets the rules. You may create your own rules on your own server.

Try to keep your feedback as mature as in this thread next time. I know how much you like to "test" my admins' reactions and I think they know that you're trying to do so. Keep in mind that they might be offended by such "tests", as testing a person is an act of disrespect. Atleast in my opinion.
  • DIFTOWDIFTOW Senior
    I set my Steam details randomly. You can check out our HLStatsX page, since we enabled country flags.

And you're right: I've been spending parts of my free day to work on the server, because a person would suddenly start to DDoS it. I posted a group announcement to keep everyone updated. Now it's 3:40am and I'm discussion some image you painted.
  • As a Head Admin of the Gentlemens Club, I can say this much.

Without rivalry toward CvG, (It's folly), I intend to enforce and administrate a server that fosters a friendly and nourishing gameplay enviroment for all players who desire to play with us. Competitive games do tend to bring out the troll in most of us, and I myself have been no exception in the past. But with my experience of admining on two very trollolol games and a fair few others in the past, while also creating some. I intend to put that experience to some good use.

The reason I was pulled into the fold of GC was because of my moments of lucidity when it comes to disputes, and while not being perfect I intend for aslong as it's in my power GC to remain a respectable server.

These words are hollow without integrity of action behind them, yet I believe you will come to recognise our vision if you keep your eyes trained on our project.

I humbly extend invitation out to those reading this thread to drop by and have some fun on the Gentlemens Club.

~<3.
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited September 2011
    Holy smokes... Another Paladin.

And Chris, "16-September 11" is 9/16 of the year 2011, not 9/11. It was almost uncanny, though.
  • QUOTE (Peepeewilson @ Sep 30 2011, 12:26 PM) »
    Holy smokes... Another Paladin.

Rectified. icon_knight3.gif
    Im going to close the Gentlemen's Club after the next month.

As an independent place for players all over the world, the club shortly became famous and well-visited in PVKII. It's location in NYC provided everyone with playable pings. I also designed it to be less abusive than other communities.

Concerning the server itself, everything is working great at the moment.

Due to financial problems and other projects, I wont be able to host it any longer. I already paid the bill for the next month, but this is probably going to be the last month for the project.

I have been thinking of possible ways to save GC, and the following options came to my mind:

1.) Donations: Donate a few bucks to help me lowering the monthly costs.
    2.) Reserved Slots: Buy reserved slots.
    3.) Additional Owners: Become an owner and get full access to the project. If you have the knowledge, you may manage the server on a linux level. If you have not, you'd get atleast access to a webpanel to manage it. You'd also be able to discuss about the further usage of the root server.
    4.) (If noone is interested in 1-3) Gameserver Hosting: I'd set up a custom gameserver (any source game) for you and give you access to a webpanel and FTP account. You'd also be able to make use of the external hosted HLStatsX and get your own account to manage your gameserver via SourceBans. (besides the main panel)

A few options are reserved for users I do trust alot.

Please comment on other methods to keep GC online.

Total costs at the moment: 85$/month
  • SighSigh Senior
    Spending that much money on a single PVKII server is ridiculous anyway. What were you thinking? There are much cheaper options.
    Greetz,

Mister Sigh, CommoC Founder

QUOTE (Pysiek @ Dec 29 2010, 09:07 PM)
    Welcome on boat!

"When she misses her monthlies and wees on one of them preggie stick fings and the numbers are laughing little baby faces then you can panic." - Bango Bingo
    QUOTE (Sigh @ Oct 2 2011, 09:07 AM) »
    What were you thinking?

Big Tasty Bacon.... wub.gif

In fact, this was still the cheapest way to host an own root server in NYC with decent pings. Virtual servers were much more expensive and I didn't want to buy a "gameserver" - what a shame for an admin. Other providers couldn't match the pings. The only one was "Voxel", which started at 179$.

It's not that bad. A part of the money that one hobby created was taken by another. Atleast I learned more about source, it's mods and it's community. Most of it didn't feel like my old communities. The past weeks have been a horrible experience.

• kwazikwazi Senior
    85 dollars/month for a pvk2 server? No wonder you're considering throwing in the towel. That is waaaaaaaaaaay too much for a freakin' non-match server for videogames.

I do agree/am happy with the fact that you cared enough to not order a shirleyty gameservers server- it didn't feel anything like a gameservers server, hell I even had better registry than probably every other pvk2 server. But I can't even justify spending that much money on it, you should try and find a cheaper alternative.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't think donating is the best way to handle things...

But I already mentioned the option to find a few more people who are interested in source hosting. Sharing costs would be the best option. I also asked for opinions on hosting other source games.

I never intended to create a clan or host to have more power than other people. My goal was always to play the game I like in a non-abusive environment.

It's not the fact that I have to give GC up, which makes me sad. It's the fact that now only people greedy for power can provide players with such a server. Their reasons to host greatly differ from mine. Still, I can't do anything against it.
    Frankly, at 85$ a month it still doesn't run any better than any of the 15-20$ /month servers
    Dedicated server =/= gameserver
    That doesn't mean your server is actually particularly good
    That means Im not paying 85$/month for 1 gameserver...
  • SighSigh Senior
    it means you are paying 85 dollars a month for a dedicated server that runs only one gameserver biggrin.gif.
    Greetz,

Mister Sigh, CommoC Founder

QUOTE (Pysiek @ Dec 29 2010, 09:07 PM)
    Welcome on boat!

"When she misses her monthlies and wees on one of them preggie stick fings and the numbers are laughing little baby faces then you can panic." - Bango Bingo
    I like it when the admins timebomb anyone better than them, it's really super