Gravity War

Gen.WatsonHVGen.WatsonHV Senior
edited January 2011 in Community Maps
Use physics to kill people
This is a map that I originally made for the Zombie Panic: Source mod. I then converted it to PVK 2, and this is it.

Download Gravity War

NOTE: Release notes for B4 are in this thread.

NOTE: Release notes for B3 are in this thread.

Servers Currently Hosting This Map
Slammin Butt Pirates #1 CUSTOM|RTV|FASTDL
The Village Idiot's Loony Bin |CUSTOM|RTV|FASTDL|
DARK-AGES SERVER

This map is another fun map, and the skybox is the space skybox, so the theme is space like unrealistic.

The map consists of 6 floors. It is a territory map.

(P)Floor 1: Pirate Spawn
(A)Floor 2: Territory A
(V)Floor 3: Viking Spawn
(B)Floor 4: Territory B
(K)Floor 5: Knight Spawn
( C )Floor 6: Territory C

Use physics to help kill enemies. Hit an object in order to make it fly across the room in the direction you are pointing.

This isn't a fully planned out map, I just thought it would be fun to try it.

Note: This map changes phys_pushscale in the console temporarily. It changes back to normal for the first 10 seconds of the game so that when regular map rotation happens, it will be changed back. But when it changes outside that, it will stay at the high push scale. To fix this, the server hoster needs to add phys_pushscale 1 to the server.cfg file.

Here is a youtube video that I made for the ZPS version of this map. The only difference is the floor layout and in PVK2 it's territory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYyfGnKCRq8

Comments

• anemoneanemone Senior
    edited 8:17PM
    Chests?
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
  • Gen.WatsonHVGen.WatsonHV Senior
    QUOTE (anemone @ Nov 24 2010, 10:27 PM) »
    Chests?

Maybe later.
    edited November 2010
    Ok so the big problem so far is that the push scale wont change back after it changes to another map, the reason for this is that I can't find a way to fire an entity when the round ends. I do not know how to do that. I know how to make it go back to normal for the beginning of a round but not when they end...

Also the gravity lift can be funky. There is something with the Server or Game that is making this glitchy, I've noticed it for my cannons and I know that this gravity lift thing worked perfectly for ZPS, so there is something with lag or latency that is related to the server or game that causes this.

and the elevators can get people stuck, but they can unstuck if the elevator goes in the other direction.
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    edited November 2010
    You come up with really interesting ideas for maps. but why do they have to be so horribly ugly?
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Nov 25 2010, 02:40 PM) »
    You come up with really interesting ideas for maps. but why do they have to be so horribly ugly?

Same problem as I had initially, I think: You use Hammer mainly to get a cool idea in-game, but can't be arsed or simply don't have the skill to make it look pretty. tongue.gif
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    The way I think is simple. I care about the gameplay. I don't spend time on how things looks, because that won't become a problem or help a solution in the future. Plus, this map is way not realistic, and it's in space again, so why not make something that's based on gameplay and not something like a dinner dish that looks physically appealing. mmmmm but doesn't my dish taste delicious!
  • Mr. UnicornMr. Unicorn Bear-O-Dactyl Senior
    I'm sorry. You think of some of the most unique ideas, but the problem is making those unique ideas work. This map, I'm sorry to say, just doesn't fit PVK. Now I only played it once, but it's just not that fun.
    QUOTE (Nagzar The Zerker @ Jan 30 2011, 01:11 AM) »
    I am smoking logic.

QUOTE (Sir Unicorn @ Nov 25 2010, 10:27 AM) »
    I'm sorry. You think of some of the most unique ideas, but the problem is making those unique ideas work. This map, I'm sorry to say, just doesn't fit PVK. Now I only played it once, but it's just not that fun.

I knew that it would not fit PVK, I converted it from another game. This is a map nonetheless. This is not a big map release, just a mediocre one.
    Also, this map is so small and not detailed, I can play it on my laptop smoothly!

Now the
    Slammin Butt Pirates #1 CUSTOM|RTV|FASTDL

server fixes the physics problem when the map changes.
    QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Nov 25 2010, 06:26 PM) »
    The way I think is simple. I care about the gameplay. I don't spend time on how things looks, because that won't become a problem or help a solution in the future. Plus, this map is way not realistic, and it's in space again, so why not make something that's based on gameplay and not something like a dinner dish that looks physically appealing. mmmmm but doesn't my dish taste delicious!

Then what you need to do, is team up with a mapper that does spend time on eye-candy.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Exactly what I said when I was suggested to apply to become a Level Designer for PVK2! I do not think that I can make fully made maps, I know I can do half the battle, I just need that other half from someone else.

I am offering my services to other mappers.
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Nov 27 2010, 07:52 PM) »
    Then what you need to do, is team up with a mapper that does spend time on eye-candy.

wub.gif
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited November 2010
    QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Nov 27 2010, 03:33 PM) »
    I am offering my services to other mappers.

XD You're mine now

--kokoronokawari

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    You forgot something kokokonorawikoolo
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
    edited November 2010
    QUOTE (J-co @ Nov 28 2010, 01:21 PM) »
    You forgot something kokokonorawikoolo

Frahh I thought I did >_> damn I'm going to my sig option now

--kokoronokawari (rofl forgot it in this post)

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

Why do people do that anyway? That is what signatures are for so you don't have to sign your posts every fucking time.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    But why sign off posts with your name? ... That's what your name is for!
    NO WAI HE IDENTIFIED HIMSELF!

Also:

New beta coming out soon, lots of changes.

edited December 2010
    EDIT

*This post was a patch notes post, but was taken away because so many changes happened after the patch notes. Refer to the newer patch notes further in the thread.*
  • chainsawpetechainsawpete Senior
    flying couches ftw
    QUOTE (LordTrilobite @ Nov 29 2010, 04:08 AM) »
    Why do people do that anyway? That is what signatures are for so you don't have to sign your posts every fucking time.

Because I kept forgetting to do it in sig D:

And wahhhhhhhh why is my name in all caps D:

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

Beta 3 is almost ready!

Should be released by Monday.
    edited January 2011
    Patch Notes for te_GravityWar_B3

1. An attempt to fix the lower gravity lift.
    2. Fixed up the teleporters a bit. Added food in each teleporter.
    3. Changed the small ladders to be fully usable ladders on both elevator shafts.
    4. Changed the floor layout.

(P)Floor 1: Pirate Spawn
    (A)Floor 2: Territory A
    (V)Floor 3: Viking Spawn
    (B)Floor 4: Territory B
    (K)Floor 5: Knight Spawn
    ( C )Floor 6: Territory C

Floor 6 is the building territory.

Replaced L with P.
    Replaced 1 with A.
    Replaced 2 with V.
    Replaced 3 with B.
    Replaced 4 with K.
    Replaced 5 with C.

5. Completely revamped the team floors.
    5A. Only the floors team can access their floor now. No opposing team can get in. They're now walls that help separate the ways to get places to help prevent enemies from hurting people on their own floor. Added particle effects and team colors.
    Changed the beginning start off:
    Pirates can use the left elevator and right ladder at round start.
    Vikings can use the left ladder and the right ladder, as well as the teleporters at round start, BUT they have to wait an additional 5 seconds to start the round.
    Knights can use the left ladder and the right elevator at round start.

6. When you capture a territory, there will be one couch that teleports to the front of the territory that can only be used by the team who captured the territory. (This does not apply to territory 3 with the building.)
    Red Couch = Pirates only
    Green Couch = Vikings only
    Blue Couch = Knights only

7. The elevators react faster, and I completely changed how the buttons work and how the elevator is called. It is now Button A, Button B and Button C. (For Territory A, B and C.) Once a call has been put in for an elevator, it will lock all other buttons for that elevator until the elevator has reached it's destination. To help identify destinations, the destination button turns Green until the elevator reaches that destination. The elevator can still be called to a Spawn floor, but the button to call to a spawn floor is only on the spawn floor itself.
    7A. Added trigger hurts around the elevator to help kill the people who are stuck due to the elevator. (Not perfect)

8. Added assigning physics kill points to players. Most of the time, when a player kills another player with a physics object, the point system will now come into play. (Not perfect)

9. Added secret.

10. Changed the dolly object to a bathtub.

I still need to fix the secret and the weapon controlling before the release.
  • KakisKakis Senior
    edited December 2010
    QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Nov 25 2010, 06:26 PM) »
    At least put some effort into your maps, most of your maps is 5 minutes job in my opinion. I mean come on, you don't even have any lightning! Unrealistic or not, a good atmosphere can always make your map better.
    QUOTE (Kakis @ Dec 31 2010, 01:32 PM) »
    At least put some effort into your maps, most of your maps is 5 minutes job in my opinion. I mean come on, you don't even have any lightning! Unrealistic or not, a good atmosphere can always make your map better.

Sorry to say man, but you don't know what your talking about when it comes to how maps work and function.

I think you're only judging on the visuals and how things look. But if you knew how maps work, they're things that you don't see that comes into play, like the functionality of maps.

And yea, I know that some people only judge on how it looks and the realism and "How does the elevator go up when they're no ropes and constraints!??"
  • edited December 2010
    Why do you bother making these maps anyways?

Its not like you're showing off any skill related to mapping and i personally think maps like this( Space, Elevators, Stages in space, Flying couches, Teleports, totally ruins the game.

Why bother putting a lego/mario theme ( or just a really bad looking map with nothing related to medieval ) into a Medieval game?

Slammin butt pirates is full with maps like this and its probably the only reason why i only visit it one or two times a month.

I'm not trying to offend you but see it like this,

Zombiemaster was a funny game. Yet there were only a few people playing it and if it had some better looking maps with some decent objectives, it could be a really great game. This never happend simply because people added no-skill requiring maps that just looked hilarious bad. You didn't even get the Zombie-Horror feeling at all while playing those maps.

I'm not saying your ideas are bad . . . but atleast try to stick with the medieval theme and make it atleast look a bit good wink.gif

Would love to see you make a real, good looking map with a booty, territory or any other objective.
    QUOTE (HEAVEN_ABOVE @ Dec 31 2010, 01:52 PM) »
    Why do you bother making these maps anyways?

Its not like you're showing off any skill related to mapping and i personally think maps like this( Space, Elevators, Stages in space, Flying couches, Teleports, totally not fitting the medieval theme) totally ruins the game.

Why bother putting a lego/mario theme ( or just a really bad looking map with nothing related to medieval ) into a Medieval game?

Slammin butt pirates is full with maps like this and its probably the only reason why i only visit it one or two times a month.

I'm not trying to offend you but see it like this,

Zombiemaster was a funny game. Yet there were only a few people playing it and if it had some better looking maps with some decent objectives, it could be a really great game. This never happend simply because people added no-skill requiring maps that just looked hilarious bad. You didn't even get the Zombie-Horror Theme at all while playing those maps.

I'm not saying your ideas are bad . . . but atleast try to stick with the medieval theme and make it atleast look a bit good wink.gif

Would love to see you make a real, good looking map with a booty, territory or any other objective.

Thank you! lol I was about to say what I just said to the other guy, but you actually spend time and effort in explaining what you think should be done.

I actually do make a decision before making a new map, whether if it's going to be realistic or not. And I know I can make realistic looking maps, it's just that the 2 maps that I made for PVK 2 went down the path of different one of a kind gameplay than realism.

I have a map underway for the ZPS mod that is all about realism.
  • edited 8:17PM
    Yeah, although i do think you're totally ruining the game by doing that.

and feel free to post zps-related maps in the pvkii's mapping section aswell because i bet everyone would like to see some realistic mapping work of yours ;p ( Which also HAS to look good ! )
    QUOTE (HEAVEN_ABOVE @ Dec 31 2010, 02:08 PM) »
    Yeah, although i do think you're totally ruining the game by doing that.

and feel free to post zps-related maps in the pvkii's mapping section aswell because i bet everyone would like to see some realistic mapping work of yours ;p ( Which also HAS to look good ! )

lol, ok then. I understand your point of view. If you knew ZPS, you'd know that Cabin could possibly be related to my current maps, not realistic, not the point of the game, off base, and isn't meant to be played to express the gameplay of PVK 2 and how it is meant to be played.

I guess what I'm all about is what I can do in hammer, regardless of the games general idea.

As long as you understand my point of view, were both on the same level.
  • KakisKakis Senior
    edited December 2010
    QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Dec 31 2010, 09:51 PM) »
    Sorry to say man, but you don't know what your talking about when it comes to how maps work and function.

I think you're only judging on the visuals and how things look. But if you knew how maps work, they're things that you don't see that comes into play, like the functionality of maps.

And yea, I know that some people only judge on how it looks and the realism and "How does the elevator go up when they're no ropes and constraints!??"
    Yes i do in fact I've been making maps since 2007 and i sure know about functionality of maps, i'm however unsure about you from the looks from your maps. And i can tell this is a bad map, not just by the looks but from the layout and idea which doesn't even fit in this game. I think your map looks like another dumb unoptimized unplanned unbalanced shitty map and according to your video it seems pretty much unbalanced. There is only one elevator which would lead the teams to wait just to loose their territory( and lots of more reasons too ) and physics that would probably instant kill someone. Yes i understand your point with gameplay is most important thing in maps, but so is optimization and visuals.