[wip]te_unknown

schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
edited August 2010 in Community Maps
Yarrrr all,

I put some effort lately in constructing a new territory map... I don't know the name yet, hence the topic title. It will feature 4 different territories located in unique areas. Each team has direct access to two territories, from which one can move to the center territory. I have nearly finished 3 territories and two spawn areas, so the map is about 50% percent done.
Some screens to enjoy:

The Gorge - Vikings and knights will have to fight above the abyss

The Smuggler's Hideout - Vikings and Pirates will challenge each other in this ocean-carved cave

The Ancient Boulders - Pirates and knights meet at this old ritual site

More to come soon, I hope you like it.

So long,

Schatzmeister

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

Comments

• .sverek.sverek PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited August 2010
    looks well thought and seems balanced. looking forward for release!
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited 11:00AM
    Looking forward to see this ingame!
    If you need a tester or just an extra oppinion on balance, I'd happily help you out.
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Looks nice.

That smugglers hideout looks a lot like the map Cove I was working on some time ago. But I gave up on it mostly.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • MasonMason Senior
    This looks great. I'd be happy to test as well.
  • FinlordFinlord Senior
    Looks very interesting. Especially that cave place.
  • KakisKakis Senior
    Looks really nice. i think you should improve your lightning however.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Vay niice! Do you have a layout/ overview of the map for us to give you feedback on?

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• this map looks awesome; i hope to play it soon
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Here the requested overview... you can see the general layout of the map. I make slow but steady progress on the map. I don't know about the central territores design yet.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.

How about the central territory is some ancient structure/settlement with ruins and stuff.
    Hi, just a quick update of what I've been doing the last weeks. I am afraid, it is not to much, progress is slow but steady.

The Central Territory (Excalibur):
    The Overview:

So, as you noticed, the name of my map is settled: te_excalibur for obvious reasons. All teams want to recover ecalibur from its tomb to dominate the others. So the Central territory will ( I hope that's possible) will give more points to the team that controls it than the outer territories. All of those are needed for an instant win.

In the Smugglers Hideout, a book reveals secrets about Excalibur
    The Ancient Boulders are a place of magic and can be used to enhance Excaliburs Strength.
    The Gorge provides material for the recovery.

I have to do a lot mor things, the 3d Skybox being the most time consuming. I'll update every now and then.

So long,

Schatzmeister.

Wicked sick. I like! Your progress has been phenomenal. Here's an idea I just had a minute ago, make sure to include multiple routes branching from the main pathways that lead to the key areas. You could do this by making it look like a team is digging their way to an area with shovels, and all the players have to do is bust down some walls.

Another idea is for adding detail and candy to the map at the appropriate stage. Include some small areas that are playable, yet have an inaccessible section to the them. For example, try adding an additional hallway close to the knights spawn, but the majority of it is inaccessible and cannot be reached without noclip. There's a custom map that did this well, no pun indented, and its called stairwell. In that you'll find interesting areas blocked by a porticulus that have good detail inside them.

Perhaps making the central territory more holy, by adding in a grave of a sacred knight that has the Excalibur stabbed into it. Just a thought. Have fun with the directional aids too. You can get really creative with the messages like in te_sandstorm, but better. Hope you riff off some of these ideas. You can say yes, no, or whatever you'd like.

xq0LCrG.png

• jRocketjRocket Pixel Punisher PVKII Team
    edited October 2010
    Looks pretty cool, although maybe the caves could use some more detail and lighting work.
    Good example of caves in Source -> http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/
    edited October 2010
    Wow, those caves do look awesome. I will look into that further.

@Colonel Sanders
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. I will see what I can do.

Edit: Oh, and the whole point about Excalibur is that it sticks in a stone, so I thought.

QUOTE (jRocket @ Oct 6 2010, 12:33 AM) »
    Looks pretty cool, although maybe the caves could use some more detail and lighting work.
    Good example of caves in Source -> http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/

Yes, however this artist pushes the source engine to its limits with his over the top detailed work for the upcoming reboot of Dear Esther. His work on the caves are fantastic, but to be honest, I speak for a lot of ppl when I say we don't expect that kind of work from you now.

Yes, the caves are probably in dev, but more detail is needed.

Gotcha regarding the stone! lol, the sword and the stone is coming back into my memory now. How about skeletons around the stone representing past failures at extracting the sword. Your welcome bud.

xq0LCrG.png

• Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    Get some pretty lighting in those caves, for sure! Push iiiit!
    QUOTE (Colonel Sanders @ Oct 6 2010, 11:20 AM) »
    Yes, however this artist pushes the source engine to its limits with his over the top detailed work for the upcoming reboot of Dear Esther. His work on the caves are fantastic, but to be honest, I speak for a lot of ppl when I say we don't expect that kind of work from you now.

Yes, the caves are probably in dev, but more detail is needed.

Gotcha regarding the stone! lol, the sword and the stone is coming back into my memory now. How about skeletons around the stone representing past failures at extracting the sword. Your welcome bud.

Hmm, I have yet to find skeleton props. If there are some, let me know. I know those caves in the vid are far away from my limits, but they offer some inspiration.

• J-coJ-co Tramp Senior
    Kow75 (?) made skeleton props for his map overlord (mapping competition) if that helps
    guitarsmallb.jpg
    I have an aristocratic smile and like to punch people
    He seems to be gone, though.
  • edited 11:00AM
    jeez those caves look amazing . . . .
    Hows the progress on this map? Give us a shout when you to play test it eh!

xq0LCrG.png

Just right now, I can't put all too much effort in the map, because I am busy with Uni. But I will show some new screens eventually.

• LucasLucas Walter White Members
    Schatzmeister maps ftw!
    Tschoppo wrote:

hello dear, said banana pie, but all of a sudden it came to life.