Anyone thinks that the player base is a bit low?

NabaNaba Senior
edited 5:13AM in PVK Discussion
I find it kinda strange. There are usually only 4-5 servers with a full player base, yet other games, like TF2 have around 30-50 servers full. Considering the awsomeness of PVK2 over TF2, I think that is kinda not fair. Although the development is slower here, it is fully understeadable, since it's a mod.

Comments

• ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    edited 5:13AM
    You basically answered you own question.
    TF2 is much more popular because it is known more around the world, and is a game which had a lot more publicity and adverts.
    So, is it strange? No
    Should PVKII be more popular? Of course
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • edited 5:13AM
    Yeah, and i also think that the serverlist doesn't show up correctly, i see around 30 server in pvkii 2.2.
    Then when i go on PVKII, i see around 15 smile.gif
  • NabaNaba Senior
    Hm, maybe. At least there is always a couple of servers to play on smile.gif Rarr parrot biggrin.gif
    Oh and, it is in the wrong subforum
  • SquirrelSquirrel Senior
    edited May 2010
    Yes you are right, it isn't fair, nor is life or money. Unfortunately money (for the most part at least) holds the answer to your question.

- Compared to a game that is developed and financed by one of the most succesful FPS game creators (Valve) and at the same time advertised through their own creation (Steam), a mod with no stated similarities, like PVKII, tend to have the low ground. In other words, a larger pond lets you catch more fish.

- Continuing comparison with a high-roller game like TF2 make PVKII seem like an unsignificant contender (leaving out the game's actual quality content of course). But the truth could just as well be that the percental expansion/increase is a lot higher for PVKII than for TF2. It is just not something that comes to mind, since it dosen't seem relevant. It's about as irrelevant as comparing the games outside of actual game content, which isn't even all that similar to me.

Unlike my opinion, others tend to react differently. PVKII is a common comparison with TF2. It is what's genuinely drawn to peoples minds, which means it can't be blamed. However it's exactly the opposite to what this mod wants. So comparing the two games is a little ignorant, no offense.

But when looking at the smaller pond, I can gladly say that in the roughly three months that have passed since 2.3's release, the forum activity, along with newcomers, have vastly increased. The official Steam group have now more than 8'300 members, which holds a dramatic increse as well. The good thing is that it only a shows the tip of the iceberg. smile.gif

So when looking at todays promising process I'd say that PVKII's time of fortune and fame will come.
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    all I can say is "you must not have been around 2 or 3 versions ago"
  • NabaNaba Senior
    However it's exactly the opposite to what this mod wants. So comparing the two games is a little ignorant, no offense.

No offense taken, but I did not compare the games - I compared their popularity, since TF2 is of the same engine. ^^

you must not have been around 2 or 3 versions ago.
    I only have persistent internet for about 2-2.5 years - before, I had much smaller time to be on forums or play these mods/games often smile.gif
  • Teh_SuxTeh_Sux Senior
    What kind of question is that? It's obviously low. You should have seen the first versions. Now that was a desert.
    I have learned my lesson at last and may have a real forum signature thanks to the kind mercy of Bingo Bango
  • BadGuyBadGuy Senior
    I prefer cult classics as opposed to mass products.

"if you lived near me I would've drowned you in a bucket of your mothers blood" - Wolfy Snackrib
    QUOTE (Sven Svennson @ Mar 9 2010, 04:12 AM) »
    Maybe I need a break from PVK.

• edited 5:13AM
    QUOTE (TehSux @ May 13 2010, 03:02 AM) »
    What kind of question is that? It's obviously low. You should have seen the first versions. Now that was a desert.

haha, you should see 2.2 now. There are 3 servers up and you see one or 2 people once a while including me and some other peeps biggrin.gif
  • lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior
    QUOTE (TheManOfWar @ May 21 2010, 08:16 PM) »
    including me and some other peeps biggrin.gif

^^
    According to pvkii.com/forums,
    - Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
    - Archer isn't overpowered
    - Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game
  • GødricGødric Senior
    By the time you guys put all the classes in the game PVK II will be very close to Team Fortress 2's popularity.It's popularity went sky high since the 2.3 release.
    /necro
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    Bingo Bango covers his ears, sings

BLA BLA BLA I CAN'T HEAR YOU
This discussion has been closed.