Animated main menu background?

El NegroEl Negro Overlord of PVKIISenior
edited 4:51AM in Suggestions
One of my favourite things in videogames is, when you're in the main menu (You know, start game, load game, etc) you get some very cool background showing off a thing in the game.

The best example I got is both Overlord games. They both show you the Evil Tower you reside in, in a rather artistic and somewhat dramatic (in a good way, obviously) way.

So, why not the same with PVKII? There should be a bunch of randomized "fancy camera fly-arounds" of the maps PVKII has; Island, Fort, Cara, DesertRuin, etc.
It would be an interesting addition. I'm not sure if this will bring in more players, I doubt it, but it may interest them a bit more.
I make mods.
Your soul cannot be saved.
Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

Comments

• AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited July 2016
    I talked with Kern about animated backgrounds a long time ago. While the idea has always been very pleasing, the main menu in its current state is not ideal to have animated backgrounds. For once you have a ton of stuff on screen, the buttons, the character model and so on; not only that, but to make the background stand out the menus must be reworked again. Personally we should go back to the layout used during Beta 2.3 and 2.4 and maintain the parchment, though a new one has to be made. I think it's a good time to talk with Mr. Modez about this situation.
    Animated loading screens are also cool ideas. Months ago I made a vtf file with an animation lopp of a camera panning through a palm tree in Island as the default loading screen. The result was a bit wonky and probably not ideal because of the heavy file size. Using bik videos is the only proper solution to make them work, in my opinion.
    For the loading screens I imagine small camera pannings of the levels with minimalistic transitions, nothing too shabby. The main menu background is something difficult to imagine. I've suggested to make something like the WarHammer 40K DoW menus, with the class doing something other than idling. Mixing it with an animated backround might work quite well.
    93709-warhammer-40-000-dawn-of-war-windows-screenshot-main-menu.jpg

76561198031989549.png

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    edited 4:51AM
    AGSMA wrote:

Animated loading screens are also cool ideas. Months ago I made a vtf file with an animation lopp of a camera panning through a palm tree in Island as the default loading screen. The result was a bit wonky and probably not ideal because of the heavy file size. Using bik videos is the only proper solution to make them work, in my opinion.

Animated loading screens won't work well since the game hangs during loading, you will just end up looking at a still frame most of the time.
  • El NegroEl Negro Overlord of PVKII Senior
    I'm sure the menu can be reworked, easily or not that is the one who's doing it's opinion.

I could go for a Warhammer 40k-styled loadout, it is very nice.

Further ideas would be to try making it so the background fits both the music and the class, but from what I can see, might as well just be impossible, improbable or even simply worthless.

No way we can get an animated .vtf to be our animated background(s). I find it funny how PVKII actually has .biks but I can't recall if even a single one of them was ever used, despite how rather interesting they are. (Huscarl chasing a Skirmisher, c'mon now!)
    I make mods.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com

edited July 2016
    Felis wrote:

Animated loading screens won't work well since the game hangs during loading, you will just end up looking at a still frame most of the time.

True. The only time my custom loading screen has a consistent loop is when it's downloading server soundboards and plugins. Is there any Source mod that uses Bik files for loading screens? I'm aware that Portal 2 does that, and it works quite well most of the time, so a Source 2013 mod, even if it's not the same version as the one used for Portal 2, might support that feature.

76561198031989549.png

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    edited July 2016
    AGSMA wrote:

True. The only time my custom loading screen has a consistent loop is when it's downloading server soundboards and plugins. Is there any Source mod that uses Bik files for loading screens? I'm aware that Portal 2 does that, and it works quite well most of the time, so a Source 2013 mod, even if it's not the same version as the one used for Portal 2, might support that feature.

I remember Portal 2 having a slideshow of images that change dynamically during loading, not .bik movies. I'm not sure how they did that but it seems to switch the images before the next stage of loading hangs the game.
    Felis wrote:

I remember Portal 2 having a slideshow of images that change dynamically during loading, not .bik movies. I'm not sure how they did that but it seems to switch the images before the next stage of loading hangs the game.

No, I remember the loading screens and the wall videos being .bik files and converting them to .wmv years ago. The wiki says so.

76561198031989549.png

• PopemasterPopemaster Captain of the Seven Seas PVKII Team
    Right now the menu has a character model with the head moving with the mouse, which I love. The background moves as well? I can't remember. Would it be much of a jump to recreate scenes like this:

pirates_fort_pose_zpsff8wua3l.png

and with the character models moving like they do now. I'm not technical so forgive me if that is too crazy, just and idea.
  • El NegroEl Negro Overlord of PVKII Senior
    Popey, I'm sure that is easily possible, but then I got a feeling that there will be performance use...That may actually be minimal, average or screw it, high.

Could be turned into a .bik, .wmv or any video format and there should just be 1 less FPS.

We can't go with, to say it for being out of words, on a high-budget creation of the main menu.
    I make mods.