Are Single-Territory Maps Viable?

edited April 24 in PVKII Discussion
No offense to the mappers, but from my experience, these types of maps are the least fun to play.
I'm just not sure if Territory was made for having only one area, and I thought I'd have a discussion about it.
Here's some of the patterns I've noticed with koth-style maps:

1. There currently isn't an official koth map to base off of, which means custom maps are either too small, where they encourage keg and projectile spamming, as well as spawn camping, or too big, with unnecessary/unused areas, which discourages people to play. They'll just explore the map or DM instead with ranged classes. Also, some maps have random explosives directly on the point, which is stressful if you just earned the point and you suddenly get blown up, leaving other teams to effortlessly cap.

2. Most koth maps disable Pirates (probably because of keg spamming), and it's a shame because having three teams is what makes PVKII unique. Though I will admit, I've also had long games with all three teams because they keep capping and contesting in a back-and-forth cycle all at once, making each timer generally slow and even. It gets boring pretty quickly;
It's either play Vikings vs Knights most of the time or play the three-team vicious cycle.

3. Some maps have timers that are either too short or too long. There doesn't seem to be a recommended amount.

Overall, I'm not convinced that singular territory maps work in PVKII, it feels too tunnel-visioned and slow to me.
But I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have.
“Suppose, in their altruistic passion for justice and order, they had determined to reform the world, but had not realized that they were destroying the soul of man?”
- Arthur Clarke, Childhood's End

Comments

• El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Senior
    edited April 24
    I don't think "KOTH" maps will ever be worth it.

One territory is always chaotic, but it will be even more so in PVKII because the Pirates have many ways to deal with the group and that one single territory.
    Meanwhile, Knights have HKs' specials and the HKs themselves, easy to pulverize if done right.
    And the Vikings can push them all back.

And be the territory closed or open, it's just as bad.

There are two maps that confirm this, at least for me of course (if none of you figured it out, it's my opinion);
    te_forest
    te_bootyman

Both maps aren't bad, Bootyman itself is great, but the objective is so badly balanced.

Territory should be with at least 3, 2 can work but may still have a problem.
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

• AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    Look no further than pvk_desertruin to see how unsuitable a King of the Hill gamemode is for PVKII.

76561198031989549.png

• VasumatiVasumati Kunoichi Members
    I agree with your points, however;
    it's still fun. Winning isn't everything
    just enjoy the mayhem :)
  • edited April 24
    Vasumati said:
    I agree with your points, however;
    it's still fun. Winning isn't everything
    just enjoy the mayhem :)
    Heh don't worry, I never said "winning is everything" ;)
    I love playing randomizer and weapons master (though I haven't seen wm being used in a long time). I just think it's a shame that people put serious effort into these kinds of maps, only to be treated with my said backlashes. I don't think they were intended to be "super casual maps." IMO koth just isn't fun for me.

AGSMA said:
    Look no further than pvk_desertruin to see how unsuitable a King of the Hill gamemode is for PVKII.
    Your tagline is surprisingly relevant, since the map came back in some rotations!  >:)
    “Suppose, in their altruistic passion for justice and order, they had determined to reform the world, but had not realized that they were destroying the soul of man?”
    - Arthur Clarke, Childhood's End
  • FinlordFinlord Senior
    If I recall correctly the last update made possible to limit classes. So maybe in the future custom te maps could disable skirmishers instead of whole pirate team to avoid keg spam.
  • El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Senior
    Finlord said:
    If I recall correctly the last update made possible to limit classes. So maybe in the future custom te maps could disable skirmishers instead of whole pirate team to avoid keg spam.
    Limit Skirmisher to 0 is like limiting Archer to 0; butthurt people will be skyrocketing everywhere.
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog