PVKII and VR

GazGaz SirPVKII Team
edited 1:44AM in Dev Journal
Today, I had the fantastic opportunity to experience PVKII in VR!

With Valve having released the 2013 SDK, you now have the ability to run the game in -vr mode, with the mod at the very early stages of testing on this new SDK, lots of stuff is obviously broken, shaders etc

However, I was mad enough and believed strongly enough to back the Oculus Rift (OR) on kickstarter as soon as I had watched it's pitch video (Ok so I waited like 3 hours before I caved in!).

Whilst working on bt_pinegrove these last few months, and having the OR sitting on my desk, I really REALLY wanted to walk around it in VR. To get to do this was really special, I mean I'd made some stuff in Unity, played all the demos people released, but when you get to experience your own work, it's quite special!

Here are some screenshots with comments on below:

Note: I was playing as the Captain, simply because the views aren't mapped to the characters properly yet so you can see in the back of their heads/bodies, but the Captain's shader is broken at the moment, making him see through, which was perfect for VR!

In the treehouse, looking down at the Vikings capture point, feeling significantly higher than compared to "normal" viewing.
rift_pvkii_pg01.jpg

When in VR you get a much better sense of scale, these wood planks for instance appear to be about 20cm thick! (I'll have to fix that)
rift_pvkii_pg02.jpg

Looking at the windmill, it looks great towering above you, when you get close to the spinning sails, I found myself leaning out the way of them.
rift_pvkii_pg03.jpg

Looking over the abandoned mine bridge, the tracks appear much wider than before, and the distance fog really makes things feel further away.
rift_pvkii_pg04.jpg

The captains reload animation looks awesome in 3D, if only I had some hands! You can also see your own shadow which looks awesome!
rift_pvkii_pg05.jpg

Tropical holiday! I had a look around bt_island as well, this was quite awesome, as it's complete compared to Pinegrove. First time I've been on an old pirate ship too!
rift_pvkii_is01.jpg

These steps when you're in VR are HUGE, they're like 40-50cms high each!
rift_pvkii_is02.jpg

This table is huge, the chairs look correct, like I can sit on them but the tables up to my chest! Oh and the chicken, it could feed a family of 4 for a week! :D
rift_pvkii_is03.jpg

The planks on this bridge are HUGE as well, This plank would make a great raft by itself alone!
rift_pvkii_is04.jpg

It was really cool being in Cafe La Hubb Jubb, the coconut cocktails are about the size of a football! (soccer if you're from the US)
rift_pvkii_is05.jpg

Overall, it was really awesome to experience PVKII in VR, I'll be tweaking some of the models, especially in PG to seem a bit more realistic scale wise. I can't wait for it all to be implemented properly, it's going to be fantastic!

Comments

• cainsithcainsith Beta Tester
    edited 1:44AM
    Very impressive. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I can imagine playing with the OR in a real game would be crazy.
  • DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    I'm having a nerdgasm over here
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    cainsith wrote:

Very impressive. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I can imagine playing with the OR in a real game would be crazy.

I actually played through all of HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 in VR and it was the greatest gaming experience of my life!
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    super sexy, gaz
  • cainsithcainsith Beta Tester
    Gaz wrote:

I actually played through all of HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 in VR and it was the greatest gaming experience of my life!

Haha, i've heard that it was quite amazing. I just wish I had the money at the time to spend on getting one myself.
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited July 2013
    Wow, imagine playing with both the Oculus Rift and the Virtuix Omni. That would be incredible. I'd hook up my Wii Remote to use as a sword. But I'm just excited to see PVKII running in the Source Base 2013. That's exciting enough for me. I'm really looking forward to it. :) Can't wait to hear more. But if one of you is already doing work in VR, I'd guess the process is at least going somewhat smoothly. Thank you for making my day.
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz

• Dr.ClericDr.Cleric Senior
    Homina homina homina!
    “I don't have moments of weakness. I'm Rik Mayall.” -Rik Mayall
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    Are the multiple vr modes available from say TF2? Each different mode would be nice to have.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Sharpieman wrote:

Are the multiple vr modes available from say TF2? Each different mode would be nice to have.

Yep, although the default is by far the most comfortable and natural to play

Re the Omni, Wii Mote? You want to get a Razer Hydra, its lovely to use! I would have backed the Omni if they had a more attractive price. Once its retail I'll be getting one for sure :)
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Gaz wrote:

Yep, although the default is by far the most comfortable and natural to play

Re the Omni, Wii Mote? You want to get a Razer Hydra, its lovely to use! I would have backed the Omni if they had a more attractive price. Once its retail I'll be getting one for sure :)

It's funny, they were only looking to get $150,000 and they got over $1,000,000. Also I've never heard of the Razer Hydra, and I know a little bit about writing scripts for the Wii Remote and whatnot.
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░██████████████████████████████████░░░░░░███
    ░░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░░████
    ░░░░████████████████████████████████████░░░░░████░░
    ░░░░███████████████████████████████████░░░░█████░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░██████░░░░
    ░░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░██░░░░░░░███████░░░░░░█████████░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░███░░░███████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░

yP71cHI.gif

Xxkr2il.jpg
    56JtqQq.jpg
    kJFRh1a.png
    MOBO: MSI Z87M GAMING
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K OC'd @ 3.7 GHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti
    RAM: Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133MHz

Really ? From the video I saw vr mode 3 and 4 gave the best setup for ranged combat atleast. No key hole, Head turned while firing forwards capability that alone be a sharpshooter / archers dream. The key holed modes would be great for a melee class though.
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vG-_gqa04E#at=32

Here is a video of something similar I used to work on at my old job
    COULD YOU IMAGINE THAT! occulus rift with wireless dongle connection for free body movement, and that type of VR body suit. Man running capacity based on actual body stamina. Hit accuracy and body placement all being your own skill. ID LOVE IT AS A SS, feel like a TRUE sniper with DMR. Like I feel using iron sights with the m98b in BF3.