Invalid Steam UserID Ticket Solution

PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
edited November 2011 in PVKII News & Announcements
Hello there,

It has recently come to our attention that an epidemic is sweeping the Source mod community. Players all across the globe are encountering this error when trying to play their favorite games:

For those of you experiencing this issue, fear not! There may be a solution.

1. Delete the contents of your steam directory EXCEPT these files:
- The steamapps folder (and its contents)
- Steam.exe

2. Run Steam.exe
- Steam will redownload all of the files you deleted and verify the contents of your steamapps folder. (Credible sources say this process only takes a couple minutes)

3. Test the game!

*NOTE: This solution does not apply exclusively to PVK2. If you're having this issue in another Source mod, give it a try.

Let's all thank Miggog, our resident genius, for bringing this fix to light.

Until next time!

Your pal,
Peepeewilson

Comments

• shayologoshayologo Senior
    edited 12:25AM
    I had this error last week but i fixed it yesterday with same solution
  • unnamed2unnamed2 Senior
    Finally, something new on the page, will be better than seeing that damn tournament announcement.

Anyway, I haven't played source games in a while so I don't know if I have this problem. I will check it out when I have time.
  • GødricGødric Senior
    How nice of you to post something on the site.Even if it's not directly pvk II directed it's good to see some initiative.Hope to see something regarding 3.0 update soon.
  • Aroth77Aroth77 Senior
    Or wait for Valve to release a speedy patch...
  • edited November 2011
    I found a Solution to this problem on my own 2 weeks ago that doesnt require as much butchering, delete all the FILES in your steam folder except steam.exe and any .log files (you can delete but it is not causing the issue) along with the UserData and Bins Folder, thats how I fixed mine and 5 others, if someone who has this issue could maybe only delete on of the folders to see if its a specific one (My bets on the userdata folder, based on the error) and report back that would be great.

P.S. Never played PVKII, but really just wanted to lend a hand to this annoying mistake by valve.
  • MaydayMayday Engineering Supreme Senior
    kyle, there's no reason to delete the steamapps folder unless you fancy downloading all of your games again. it's just a directory for downloaded files and has nothing to do with the operation of steam, so it's okay to leave it.
  • edited 12:25AM
    If you read what I wrote it says you only have to delete the files and 2 folders nothing about steamapps
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    edited November 2011
    This issue has been brought to us by several players over the past three weeks. I've been reading forums and emailing Valve about what causes the issue, but none of the offered solutions seem to be universally successful. Deleting the entire contents of your Steam folder with the exception of steam.exe and the steamapps folder was the only way to ensure that most people's issue would be fixed.

We appreciate your input, though! Welcome to the forums. smile.gif
    Solved the problem. Thanks!
  • AleihrAleihr Senior
    Though I've taken care of this problem before, about a half a year ago. Its good to see this help announcement topic up for easy reach for others.
    I've forgotten exactly how I did it, it was a little differant but very similar. I think it was something about removing or renaming a .BLOB file or something.
    Yes, clientregistry.blob

That usually works, but we found lots of people weren't able to fix their problems by deleting that file alone.
    I didn't need to delete the whole folder. I deleted the clientregistry.blob + "userdata" folder. It worked for me and some other people too.
    So many people have this issue lately ;(
  • AleihrAleihr Senior
    edited December 2011
    Its been around for YEARS if I remember right. I thought it felt familiar when I went through this in the previously mentioned instance, if I recall I've went through this a couple years or so ago.
    And when I looked for a solution for it, I was finding people posting about on boards about the same damn problem, get this, back in like 2003 or so.
    Why is such an ancient problem still occurring?
  • Lt.HargroveLt.Hargrove Senior
    Becouse ancient evil always attack "modern" people.

But yup, 8 years in electronic market is really ancient.
    I am sorrying for my poor English.

• Uncle PeatUncle Peat Senior
    its good
    Spear.
  • LucasLucas Walter White Members
    edited December 2011
    QUOTE (Uncle Peat @ Dec 2 2011, 08:58 PM) »
    its good

Yeah It's awesome that people can't play the game they like
    Tschoppo wrote:

hello dear, said banana pie, but all of a sudden it came to life.
  • MiggogMiggog PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited December 2011
    QUOTE (Lucas =) @ Dec 3 2011, 01:39 PM) »
    Yeah It's awesome that people can't play the game they like

He means the fix, don't he?blink.gif

Glad to help and remember this is a foolproof fix for a few other errors aswell that might occur in Steam. For example my hammer gets jammed every once in while with an error message "Failed to take Master Pipe Connection lock" and isn't willing to open anymore. No idea where that error comes from but I use this to fix it.
    lego_sig250_v3_zps09b6104b.jpg
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    also got this error several times.. guess its some kind of joke, as Hammer is "steampowered" and thus can´t work without connection to a "master-steampipe".

slugsig.jpg

never had that problem in my 800 hours
  • chevronchevron Senior
    This is happening again :(
  • MaydayMayday Engineering Supreme Senior
    Ya happened to me too. Takes no more than two minutes to fix though.
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    I got it yesterday too
    Mayday wrote:

Takes no more than two minutes to fix though.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Happened to me yesterday. Followed the steps. Only downside is that my categories are gone, but no real fracks given.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• Pache94Pache94 Donald Thumb Beta Tester
    same with both on Colonel Sanders
    king_k__rool_by_biel12-d3f0vny.gif
    where in steam do you find steam exe
    {-KR-} dannyjohnson2121
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe (DONT DELETE ME BROTHER!)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps (DONT DELETE ME BROTHER!)

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

• The Old FoxThe Old Fox Senior
    edited March 2012
    ATTENTION NUBS: Before you go and delete everything on your dad's computer, try this:

1. Right-click the effected game in your games list
    2. Go to Properties ->Local Files
    3. Click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..."

It will check your files and simply update any corrupted ones.

And for those of you who don't know how to read (I know you're out there) here's a picture:
    invalid_tickets.jpg
    (note: if you don't know how to count I can't help you)
  • PaladinPaladin Senior
    edited March 2012
    An Alternative way to fix Invalid Steam UserID Ticket

Remove the "config" folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam". Run Steam, log in (Steam then asks for authorization, so get your e-mail ready) and done. It works.

Rather than deleting everything except steam.exe and the steamapps folder.
    2v2z7rr.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Just to clarify, cute babes: My posted solution to the SteamID ticket error is the only universal fix. Verifying the integrity of your game cache, deleting clientregistry.blob, and deleting the config folder may work for some people, but won't for everyone.

That is why I felt the original post was worthy of the front page.