Tips for lower end PCs

Hello to every one and a happy new year.

I would like to ask if any one has any tips or tweaks for playing PVKII on a lower end PC. I opened up steam recently to discover a new update for the best Source mod out right now, the design, sounds, characters and classes make for some of the most original game play out right now.

The only problem is I can't play the game and I can't afford to update my PC. I would like to ask if any body has any tricks in order to play this game with reasonable FPS? I have all settings set to the lowest they can go and resolution set at 800x600, this brings my FPS to about 15-20 and that's when not in battle.

Here are my specs

Intel Pent 4 3.00 Ghz
nVidia GeForce 8400 gs (I know this is what is causing most of the problem, this card is garbage.)
1 GIG of Ram

I have tried every thing, and I know it's the video card causing the problems but I can't afford a new one right now. I'd like to know if any body has some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited 5:35AM
    mat_advancedshaders 0
  • edited January 2011
    I got

Intel Pentium dual CPU E2160 1.80GHz(2CPU's) + Radeon X1950 Pro and got 3 GB of RAM. ( lost one lol, bloody thiefs)

Whenever i play on MAX settings, i get like 20-80 fps. In Battle or wide openings i ussualy get around 20-30 FPS so i tried a few times to decrease my graphics by simply setting them to low but for some reason it just keeps sticking on the same fps. I even tried setting all my videocard options to Performance instead of quality ( or medium ) but still it doesn't change at all.

I also remember that when i bought this PC from a good friend, it could run Crysis on Medium.( recommended )
    I also played MAX on pvkii withouth any fps lagspike. After 2 months it all turned to the downside and i ussualy get like 20-80 FPS now.

So i was wondering if someone could give me some tips to get a better FPS withouth changing my graphics.

I also tried disabling the programs in the background, but didn't work either.

Also, does anyone know if there's something that could help my computer get the performance back that i used to have? ( or close )
    I know my PC is getting old, but still just wondering.

Also, i would suggest you to only play in servers with MAX of 5 players , Death Or no glory wink.gif
  • Rawk3tRawk3t Senior
    edited 5:35AM
    Right click the game in steam and select properties. Click on "set launch options..." and type in "-dxlevel 80" into the box, without quotations. Click ok and launch the game. This should give you a couple more fps.
  • Bingo BangoBingo Bango one-eyed willy PVKII Team
    Don't forget to turn off advanced shaders in the in-game options!
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks to you all, I'm not sure what did it but the mat_advancedshaders 0 command I put in my config folder, and I also entered "-dxlevel 80" in to PVKII properties. I imagine they both did the job as my FPS has gone up about 20-25 so I'm getting about 40-50 fps and in battle around 30-20.

Thanks for the fast replies every one. Good gaming to you all!
  • HeiHei and truly did she know the name of the Kong Senior
    not sure which of these will work for pvk, but here are some settings I used to have in an autoexec when I played HL2DM on a poor computer

r_renderoverlayfragment "0"
    r_decals "0"
    mat_colorcorrection "0"
    r_PhysPropStaticLighting "0"
    r_3dsky "0"
    r_maxmodeldecal "3"
    r_eyemove "0"
    r_eyeglintlodpixels "0"
    r_waterforcereflectentities "0"
    r_WaterDrawRefraction "0"
    r_WaterDrawReflection "0"
    cl_drawmonitors "0"
    cl_ejectbrass "0"
    muzzleflash_light "0"
    violence_agibs "0"
    violence_hgibs "0"
    violence_hblood "0"
    violence_ablood "0"
    r_waterforceexpensive "0"
    r_worldlights "0"
  • LoneSoldierLoneSoldier Senior
    Some other useful tips:

In launch options where you set -dxlevel 80 try also putting -high

example
    "-dxlevel 80 -high"

This makes pvkii categorized to your processor to put more efficiency and priority towards it than other programs.
    (Can be done through task manager but would require you to set its priority every time you start up pvk)

Also

r_decals 0 in console may help too smile.gif

hope this helps you enjoy some lag-free pvk

sig3d.png
    Join the Club
  • Senior
    I would also suggest downloading some utility programs (well not always legal of course) like registry cleaners and work optimisers.

I hope you won't count it as an advertisment but Advanced System Care and Uniblue progs did the job for me. I was given a boost. Of course other programs can be used, that's just an example.

Also try searching the net for something like "FPS config". As TF2 and PVKII work on source engine they share many, if not all, console commands. You could use those to turn of some nasty things that slow the performance.
    <!--quoteo(post=209075:date=Jan 5 2011, 10:25 PM:name=Hei
    Rushing enemies since 2001!

Member of Valhalla's Vicious Vikings [-vVv-]
    Thanks to all again for the tips, I hope this thread will help out others too.

It's running much smoother but I'll have to stay out of the servers with large amounts of people.
    Mabye try windowed screen, i dont know if that might increase the smoothness but you can try.
  • SaunaChumSaunaChum PVKII Team
    Pinned. Do post more optimization suggestion and tips.
    Production Manager
    QUOTE (CannonFodderShockTroop @ Jan 7 2011, 05:20 AM) »
    Also knows as Half-Life64!

More or less

One thing that people don't realize is that resolution isn't as significant an impact as they might think. You can often run games at your native resolution with the other settings low, without a negative impact

In my experience icon_whistling.gif
  • TizzTizz Senior
    Thanks for these tips, the -dxlevel 80 really helped me out, but where exactly do I put "mat_advancedshaders 0"? Does it go in the launch options?
    no, in a config file or type it on the console in game
  • lillemakkenlillemakken Senior, senior

I got

Intel Pentium dual CPU E2160 1.80GHz(2CPU's)

:icon_bushblink: O'rly? I think we got the message now lol

I also tried disabling the programs in the background, but didn't work either.

That would only help if you had insufficient RAM to play PVKII, and since PVKII doesn't use more than aproxx. 400 megabyte, it doesn't help.

Also, does anyone know if there's something that could help my computer get the performance back that i used to have? ( or close )

Yes, I do.

i3 -> i7 (Ati sucks)
    + Any GPU better than yours.
    + A new motherboard of your choice.
    + Faster RAM / Faster Harddrives (SSD) <--- Optional choices.

- lillemakken
    According to pvkii.com/forums,
    - Reaching enemies beyond your weapon model isn't a problem(you're just bad at dodging!)
    - Archer isn't overpowered
    - Higher post count is equivalent to higher skill, experience and knowledge in-game
  • edited January 2012
    You're just giving me information that i already know. The main issue is that my videocard burned down a long time ago and my current build withouth a doubt could use an upgrade but in overall it was quite a decent well running pc and i would probably order/buy it again if i had the chance. However i did not know this a year ago. It was a pretty cheap deal and I'm not someone who necassarily have to play games on high graphics. Still thanks for the info though, you are such a nice guy.
  • CompanionCompanion Senior
    I have a high end PC (I5 760 @ 2.8ghz, 4GB ram and HD 6870) and the game runs with low FPS on maxed settings.
    Every other Source game out there runs great on highest settings except for PVK, so im currently playing on Low settings.
    Any tips?
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    Companion wrote:

I have a high end PC (I5 760 @ 2.8ghz, 4GB ram and HD 6870) and the game runs with low FPS on maxed settings.
    Every other Source game out there runs great on highest settings except for PVK, so im currently playing on Low settings.
    Any tips?

proceed playing ;)

slugsig.jpg

• DMXDMX Senior
    try -dxlevel 80 and on medium i guess.
    joker_by_tortillaturtle-d50i9ir.png
    Disable advanced shaders.
    Tschoppo wrote:

proceed playing ;)

But i want to enjoy the graphics too :icon_agapirate:
  • PeepeewilsonPeepeewilson PVKII Team
    Update your video drivers?
    All updated.
    But i dont get it, every other source game runs great.
    Maybe ill redownload it?
  • PaladinPaladin Senior
    edited May 2012
    Maybe your computer is overheating while on load?

Check what temperature your GPU is running at on load(running a game) in the overdrive menu.
    2v2z7rr.jpg
  • DMXDMX Senior
    Hey guys, I just figured i could upload you my fps config that has helped me quite alot in the past and still does. You have to extract it in into the username> pirate, vikings and knights ii > pvkii > cfg folder. When you launch up the game it should be all set up but you might want to check options to see if there's any change to the graphics. On my computer for example, I always have to uncheck anti aliasing but yeah, let me know if its any use for you guys ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?4gk49k6remqh0oi
    joker_by_tortillaturtle-d50i9ir.png
  • DrauliusDraulius Banned
    Does anyone know how to completely disable shadows or lighting?
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    You want to play in complete darkness?!
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • Pache94Pache94 Donald Thumb Beta Tester
    Dose anyone know how to disable/completely remove some of the sudden death particles? like the smoke/wind from the doors in cathedral and the little lava particles in the air in arena? (makes me lag)
    king_k__rool_by_biel12-d3f0vny.gif
  • DrauliusDraulius Banned
    ZinuX wrote:

You want to play in complete darkness?!

That's not what I meant, friend. I meant turning off ambient lighting to improve performance.