pvk_castlekeep

propagandapropaganda Members
edited 4:44PM in Community Maps
Awhile back I did a map for dod source called dod wall. After trying this game the map would be alot more fitting to soemthing like PVKII. I am thinking of taking the core, stripping the entities and making a PVKII map out of it. Knights spawn in the castle center, pirates and vikings try to get treasure from castle center and take to spawn. Wondering what you guys thought of this. Here are some screens of the dod wall map.

http://wall.jfgclan.com

I likely would call it something other then wall, that would be lame biggrin.gif

Edit: Using pvk_castlekeep is it's not taken already smile.gif

Comments

• MikaelMikael Members
    edited 4:44PM
    Good idea!
  • VancaVanca Senior
    Looks nice
    Rawr
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    Wow, very nice. go for it smile.gif

Maybe pvk_castlebreak ?
  • WackoWacko Senior
    I'd definately have a go at it ;D
  • happyernsthappyernst Members
    this is what this mod needs (dod mappors) :wink:
  • propagandapropaganda Members
    Ok I had a go at this. Here's a few very early screens of what I am going to do here (if these are too big let me know). I have a question about using hl2 textures. Can a mapper use all the HL2 textures? Or only the ones that are being used in the PVKII sdk without having to bspzip them?

• BouncyBouncy Members
    Damn man, I've played that map in a few pubs, it's real nice.

But yeah, a remix of this for PVK would be really fun. Would the Vikings and Pirates spawn on opposite sides? Or do/can they cross paths before the Knight's throne room type place?
  • GarreettGarreett Senior
    Damn man, I've played that map in a few pubs, it's real nice.

You have computers in pubs?

Also: that map's looking really nice.
  • WackoWacko Senior
    pubs = public servers wink.gif

Yes, you are allowed to use HL2 textures. Just remember to keep the size down tho..
  • AsskickerAsskicker Senior
    Looks real nice, i suggest you go for it biggrin.gif
  • MrBaracudaMrBaracuda Members
    Since you need HL2 to play mods in the first place, I guess you can use its textures. Looks nice btw and with the pvk textures it get's this semi-real look and lightens up a lot.

Is that big red banner a texture or a model btw?
    That banner is a texture.

The plan is to have the knights spawn in the center with the treasure. The vikings and pirates will spawn on either side. The knights hold the treasure and the other teams take it back to their areas. There will be windows and balcony and such if the opposite teams make it to the middle the best bet would be to throw treasure off the castle to teammates waiting below, and then they can run with it.

@Wacko if I use HL2 textures do I have to include them in the bsp?
  • WackoWacko Senior
    QUOTE (propaganda)
    @Wacko if I use HL2 textures do I have to include them in the bsp?

If they are standard HL2/HL2:DM, then there is no need to include them in the .bsp. You can't use Lost Coast textures though.
    Some new screens:

• WackoWacko Senior
    Images don't work (for me). Host down?
  • Parrot of WarParrot of War Senior
    The first 3 new screenshots don't work for me. This map seriously looks amazing though.
    *Anti-Ninja Squad*
  • happyernsthappyernst Members
    plz use the old roof texture
    QUOTE (happyernst)
    plz use the old roof texture

I concur. And get some trims in there for the roofs shown in this pictar ye landlubba:

• AsskickerAsskicker Senior
    The old roofs look much better imo
  • WackoWacko Senior
    It's looking very nice smile.gif
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Members
    Looking nice so far :wink:
    user posted image
    http://www.lillbrorsan.webb.se - My website with my wow characters and portfolio.
  • BladeBlade PVKII Team
    QUOTE (Asskicker)
    The old roofs look much better imo
  • stravestrave Members
    add more foliage and detail, it's way to plain as for now. and do as they say, change the roof texture.
    Well the red one's not really bad, but at least use the one that's not broken and looks like crap tongue.gif
  • Gobanzo_MonGobanzo_Mon Members
    I don't really like the pyramid roofes. If you're using conic roofes on the other towers, I think you should on the pyramid ones too. Or maybe don't make the peak so steep.
    QUOTE (Gobanzo_Mon)
    I don't really like the pyramid roofes. If you're using conic roofes on the other towers, I think you should on the pyramid ones too. Or maybe don't make the  peak so steep.

Cone roofs on cylinder shaped towers, peaked roofs on square towers. I do concur the peaked roofs now don't look so hot, I have some better ideas on those.
  • Gobanzo_MonGobanzo_Mon Members
    Maybe you could smooth the edges, or round off the top. Having such a simple jagged edged shape for such a prominant detail to the castle just looks out of place.
  • John JacquesJohn Jacques Members
    Wooza, that looks great. A generic comment, but true non-the-less tongue.gif
    Still plugging away on this, working with displacements and terrain, trying different things. Still have alot to do, mainly start dressing it up a bit and adding some props. Anyway here's some new screens

• John JacquesJohn Jacques Members
    I take it that rock-path is incomplete? It randomly stops tongue.gif

I think this is going to be one of my favorites <3