Pope's UI Revamp

PopemasterPopemaster Captain of the Seven SeasPVKII Team
edited 6:55AM in Dev Journal
Finally getting around to making this thread. This is going to be a place for all my new UI work. My plan is to revamp the entire PVKII UI as I see fit to achieve a consistent and updated/modern look. Too often I feel limited when I'm creating one-off designs in order to make it consistent with what we already have. Of course feedback/criticism/ideas are welcome and I don't have any expectations of what happens to it after I create it, that is up to our team as a whole. I feel like this is what I'm passionate about and what I can truly help contribute to.

I will post some work soon hopefully...

Comments

• TurdsackTurdsack Senior
    edited 6:55AM
    My boy
    76561198043074776.png
  • PopemasterPopemaster Captain of the Seven Seas PVKII Team
    Competitive Screens

Wood panels animate up and down to come together to form the background. This would happen at the beginning, then at the end of a round.

competitive_match_screen_start-2.png

After animation. Beginning of match screen.

competitive_match_screen_start-5.png

End round screen. Chest could be animated. With the chest image (which someone already made), I thought this could be potential to add lore. Felis you mentioned PVK needs more lore and I agree.

What are the factions fighting for? THE BOOTY! Sounds like a no-brainer. They come from distant lands to fill their greedy pockets. We know this to be true for the booty gamemode, but what if this was also the "goal" for other gamemodes? Or more so the goal of each faction. When you win LTS you win the treasure to further your faction type thing. I think it's good to have backstories like that.

competitive_match_screen_start-6.png

Rulesets + MOTD

Ideally I'd like to redo the whole MOTD at some point. Maybe more like TF2 where it is fullscreen with a cool background. Currently the information doesn't stand out very well, and it's easy to miss because it all blends together. Then more room for the ruleset icons as well. This should work for now. I also noticed on the old MOTD the server name header was getting clipped with "..." if it was too long. Possible to have it stack?

2 options:

Rulesets in the right column.

rulesets-comp-3.png

I like this layout better but probably slightly more complicated to build.

rulesets-comp-4.png
  • El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Senior
    The second MOTD layout is way better, I don't care how complicated it is to make, so long as I can make it.
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

• LittleBirdyLittleBirdy Senior
    2nd one is better. First one looks like a mobile game victory screen.
    :ss: :captain: :parrot: :archer:
    Archer should have been a pirate.
    I made a HUD reference. It will be useful moving forward with redesigns. Let me know if I missed something.

LTS-masterhud.png
    Looks to me that there's a lot of overlapping HUD features, like the timer and the voice HUD, as well as the hints and weapons menu.

I'm more concerned about the voice HUD myself and how it looks like with the other HUD options.

Everything else should be alright, except perhaps the timer itself.
    I make mods.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Are clean and minimal huds still trending ya feel?

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Colonel wrote:

Are clean and minimal huds still trending ya feel?

They will forever.
    If your idea is to make another HUD option where it's "minimal", it's a great idea.

Minimal is loved by compieboys, casuals, hardcoreists and even bisexual milk-skin aliens from outer space and beyond.
    I make mods.

• FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    We have been having issues with the screenspace for a long time, a lot of things to show and there is simply no more room for new elements. As for the design, I don't believe we should change it any further. For a fast paced game like PVK2 where you have to maintain focus, a cluttery design would only be a distraction. Informative > fancy.
    Felis wrote:

Informative > fancy.

Of course, it needs to serve it's purpose. I don't think there is anything wrong with simplifying and stylizing some aspects. Sure plain text is informative but it doesn't look intentional. Not saying that can't work, it all depends on the context. I want to design it where it helps the player digest the information, not a distraction, like you mentioned.
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Ya, its really all about the quality vs quantity, and how professional looking we can make it. Professional not meaning AAA or cluttered, but top quality where it feels at home. I believe PVKII menu/hud/ui can be brought up several notches in quality, make everything fit together and feel polished.

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Informative> Fancy > Basic

The HUD in Hard Reset is probably my most favourite of all, it adds to the screen, it's not incredibly annoying and at times it can feel "minimal" in a way.

I had a plan to make a real fancy HUD for PVKII, it came out a disaster called Thoughtlow though.
    I make mods.