10 Years of PVKII & $50 Giveaway!

ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' GoodPVKII Team
THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED!

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY PVKII

MahaTmA wrote:

It's here, it's finally here!
PVKII has hit the web, picking up the shards from it's HL1 predecessor, twisting and turning them to create leaner, meaner and prettier non-historically accurate action than ever before.
Pitting nimble Pirates, powerful Knights and mighty Vikings against each other on the HL2 engine, PVKII features an innovative melee combat system, nearly 100% custom content and a complete lack of ninjas, designed to be all that its predecessor was, and more!

Happy New Year, and Happy 10th Birthday to Pirates, Vikings, & Knights II.

The sequel to one of the greatest Half-life mods of all time.

A decade ago PVKII 1.0 was released. No matter which way you slice it; PVKII is alive and kicking, and it's all thanks to the fans and passionate devs, testers, creators, and contributors, and EVERYONE from years past. From the battle-torn bottom of our hearts, thank you everyone.

As we've said throughout the years, stay with us, development for PVKII, the mod that doesn't quit, will continue. Take a fun look back from where we came.

The party has only begun, stay tuned for some celebratory particles in our next update, coming very early 2017.

10 YEARS OF PVKII GIVEAWAY

Finally, what would a celebration be without a gift! Post in this thread a favorite, memorable, and timeless tale from the 10 years PVKII has been around. One lucky winner will be selected on January 15th, 2017. Contest closes on Jan 15th 12 12:01 PM EST GMT-5

Prize is $50 in Steambucks awarded to your steam account!

Rules:
- 500 word maximum. 100 word minimum.
- Giveaway contest is open to PVKII Beta Testers, Authorized Creators, Contributors, and all members of the PVKII Community. PVKII Developers are contest judges and will vote for the winner.
- Tell us when you started playing.
- Memory must be from your playing days in the PVKII community. Can be from the first day you installed PVKII until today!
- Story must not be offensive, disrespectful or rude. No trolling. We reserve the right to disregard negative content.
- Only 1 entry per person. No duplicate or phony PVKII forum or Steam accounts.
- Any video or photos to add to the story would be a plus! If the video or photo is not yours, please provide credit to the author.
- Must elicit some positive emotion in the judges (i.e. made us laugh, made us cry, etc.)
- You may post in this thread to celebrate 10 years, however the main topic is the contest. Any derailment from the two topics will result in moderator action.
- Reminder you must be a member of the forum to post in the thread. You must respond to a personal message sent through the forums that states you have won, with in 10 business days. If you do not respond accepting your prize we will select another user.

So time to light your pipe, sit in your rocking chair next to the fire, and tell us your favorite PVKII memory in detail.

Happy Birthday PVKII!

PVKII Team
Octoshark Studios

xq0LCrG.png
Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Comments

• Dobbi124Dobbi124 Senior
    edited 11:59PM
    So, one day I was born and grew up to be a gamaholic. i got into all types of games, retro, indie, horror, you name it, but then iI found a game, a game so.. strengly exciting.. Half Life 2. So I got Half Life 2, and I beat it in less then 2 hours. So I got the sequell's to it, and I beat them even faster. And I was sad to see that They was no Half Life 3. So I looked for alternatives, and I saw the holy grail of games. Pirates Vikings and Knights II. I got the game on my birthday (August 1) since I couldn't afford many games due to fiancial problems, and I was shocked to see such a well put game could be free? And i was so happy and I played my butt off from 6:00 am to 7:30 pm (I sitll do today) and I never knew 2 things. First, how nice the developers could be by making the game.. free, but also what being spawn-camped is truly like. I have over 280 hours on the game as of 1/1/17 and I plan to add more. I also have 77% of the achievements in the game completed. My mom said, "Are you ever gonna get off that stupid game?" I said "Mom, it's more then a game, its a piece of work by the gods." And then I got punished. I still don't know why to this day? Anyway, my favorite memory of this game is when i was on the server, dominating of course, and then a user named "beef" came on, he was a challenge but also he wa the funniest guy i think I ever met, but then i made other friends from this game. This game has extended my friendlist from -1, to 3. I remember one paticular moment when I first joined a Booty server. I was scared as crap and my first achievement was Purple Heart. And that is when I gained hope not to keep dying. and the now I am a pro at this game. I am super happy that this game is 10 years old and congrats to you guys at Octoshark Studios, you made my soul enlightened from making this game. I hope to see this game next to Dota 2 someday. Alright peace out! :parrot:

P.S I could not get any pictures or videos because my computer got a virus and i can't risk downloading any pictures or videos to post.. Alright peace again :captain: :ss: :archer:
  • BrandellBrandell Senior
    edited January 2017
    Yar-har! Congratilations and thank you for such a great contest! I hope that in this year we will soon see in game Bondi, Glacier, Gothic Knights and other great stuff, that you are making right now!
    And while we are waiting for news, we can get some booty on those "great" island servers, can't we?

Oh, and about the booty.

Well, I started playing in 2015 September 3th. Just noticed this game on the main page of steam! And when I joined, I opened for myself a great world, full of fights, great people and community!

Characters (classes) are awesome. Seriosly. I never laughed so hard because of such short and silly phrases, that appear in the right moment/situation. Especially the skirmisher. That tough one. When I started playing, I noticed this Skirmisher's voice command.

"GIVE ME THE BOOTY!"

The point is that the Skirmisher has several phrases in that voice command, But they all differ only in tone and voice. Just "Give me the booty" words.

I quickly understood that and started using it over and over, while fighting, while defending, while attacking, while lollygagging, while kicking crap out of the dinahs. This is pretty scary, if you look from the side of the victim, especially dinah: that one skilled emotionless skirmisher cuts your body over and over again with his rusty cutlass, shouting only "GIVE ME DA BOOTY"!
    One time I, as usual, started playing on one of those island servers. I was shouting and shouting "GIVE ME THE BOOTY!". Then I noticed, that some of my teammates started imitating me by shouting this command as skirmishers too. But I didn't give much attention to it. I continiued killing enemies and stealing chests. Only when almost all skirmishers started playing like me, I noticed it and invented a plan. I became their leader and called all of them to the base. We had 5 chests. Vikings had 1. Of course we, as the great BOOTEYHUNTERS, wanted to get it.

I ordered my army to strike. We walked down the road like Tsunami. That poor viking berserker... I think he was so scared, when we met him in the club...

When we went to the bridge, we faced with 4 vikings. They already knew our power, so they threw their weapons and ran away! Don't mess with booteyhunters We stopped. We laughed. Entire vikings team retreated to their small boat (Too bad it can't move). They were pinned down by stupid knights and pirates. We, like hungry eagles, were jumping on vikings, hitting and killing them with our sharpy swords. Those knights died too. At the end of the fight some of us threw the nuclear bomb in form of a powder keg and we stoled that unhappy chest...

(That's what you got when you are stacking teams, kids. Don't do that. Better help to the losing one.)

That's the end of my story.

That's why I love this game. It can make so many great situations...

P.S.: I noticed, that there appeared the steam group "BOOTYHUNTERS OF PVKII". Probably someone formed this group after that funny fight. (http://steamcommunit...kiibootyhunters)
  • CoconutheadCoconuthead Senior
    PVKII was one of the first games i ever played. Back in 2012 when i only used my 2 gb ram computer to read books and browse forums,i could only play really old games. When i saw PVKII on steam i thought to myself ''do you really think your computer can handle this amazing game?'' but anyways,i decided to download it. After waiting almost two entire days with my 128 kb internet connection,the game finally finished downloading ! I was so happy. And sad-because i knew the game wouldn't even work. I started it and after tweaking the graphics to minimum,joined the first server i saw - the map was bt_island. After waiting 30 minutes for the sounds to download,i was in ! I really like muscular guys so i chose the Vikings. I got the berserker and started running around the map,just knowing my surrounds. I was very happy to run the game at 30 fps.
    Long story short,i got rekted. Everyone was better than me. I didn't know how to parry,how to charge a hit correctly,and well,i was almost quitting the game. I told my friends about the game and they loved it,this made me try so hard to get better so i could show them how good i was ! Everyday i would wake up and train,sometimes even getting the archer class and only using the butter knife,this made me think i was some ninja or kung-fu fighter. So cool. And after some weeks i was really getting better,i could parry and i could kill people very easily ! Me and my friends played a lot,every single day. After some years,back in 2014,PVKII suddenly started losing players ! I was shocked - one of my favorite games was going to die... I still kept playing,me and my friends started doing 1v1's and this made us hate each other. We stopped talking. Our friendship almost ruined... All this changed when Sharpshooter was introduced,i told my friends and i could re-ignite our friendship ! We played almost only in the same team. Friendship saved because of PVKII ! After this i started making a lot of friends from other places,we all shared a deep passion for the game,and that was one of the best moments in my life... I made really good friends because of this amazing game,i talk with most of them still today. All i got to say is... Thanks !
    http://prntscr.com/dqd7hv
  • BarrettBarrett Senior
    edited January 2017
    Huscarl story.

a2058b54ad4e4ea2bbee0af54cd321be.png
    I am playing in PVKII only 1 year, but during this time I managed to see a lot in the game, from insanely fun situations to the really sad ones. This story relates to the second type…

I remember it like yesterday. We were playing on map lts_cathedral, and on my phone there was playing music of a great group: Blind Guardian – Valhalla.

We were pinned down by knights plate boots, archers were killing us with their sharp, hungry for blood arrows.
    The round was ending. There was only one from our team… One huscarl against an army of skilled knights. He only could retreat, covering himself with his old shield. Knights with cruel laugh were approaching to him closer and closer. Archers weren’t allowing him to remove the shield and attack.
    And so… The Viking leaned to the wall. There was no place to retreat. And here it is, the chorus of the song. With a loud shout Viking ran to the enemy, using his special ability and knocking knights off their feet. Unfortunately, when he run in the middle of enemies group, he got an arrow in his head…

That is the end of his story… It was so sad. I started crying… However, the feat of that Huscarl was not in vain. I will always remember him. I understood on simple thing thanks to him: “Never give up and do not be afraid to look in the eyes of your fear”. Because, even when he didn’t have any chances, this Viking still attacked. Now he is probably fighting in great hall of Valhalla. I will never forget about him.

Happy new year to you all and happy 10th birthday to PVKII. The last year will be always a year of Huscarl for me…

Thanks Brandell for translate this story.

Video with song:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM
  • edited 11:59PM
    My best memory of this game, would be that one time that some people were acting friendly on bt_island. I remember joining the server, rushing for the booty chests (Rush B Cyka Blyat), going in the tunnel that leads to the castle (Because I always join the pirate team) and just seeing a massive group of people in the dungeon standing on top of each other, working together, pulling pranks on other people and honestly just having fun without bloodshed (I didn't even know if that was possible). And it wasn't just the knights team, or just the viking teams, or just the pirate team. Every faction was present in that party! We had a wonderfull time there, then we decided we needed more space, so we tried getting to the dancefloor near my spawn. But most of us fell prey to the people who were ''serious'', ah well. It was fun while it lasted.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702943892
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702943710

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL ME MATEYS OF THE PIRATE TEAM, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BRUTES ON THE VIKING TEAM AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY VICTIMS ON THE KNIGHTS TEAM!
  • Saias9Saias9 Senior
    I started playing PVKII way back in 2011 when a close friend of mine named Ness wanted me to play this game badly. i was reluctant at first, but he insisted so i gave it a shot, we played a lot secluded game's with 4 other friend's and my brother IRL. me and my bro slowly became addicted and we would play a lot on the cannibus club and LTS server's in general. man we sucked really bad at first but we got better at the game slowly. then i 2012 i started playing more in the custom map server's and i got a lot better during that time. 2013-2014 were the peak of my PVKII day's, i remember i would log in almost everyday just to play for the lulz. i just loved spamming voice commands while i slaying my opponents it was quite the party atmosphere.

This game will always be in my memories and i still remember how much it has changed since 2011, new classes were introduced and UI change's happened while also balance change's as well. keep doing what you are doing PVKII!
  • sebbfiresebbfire Senior
    I have always been a good fan of half life mods and have been playing pvk 2 since 2011 i think. I was a kid back then and thought it looked like the beserker chopped onion or something upon attacking lol it has been a fun experience playing the game and i have recently started playing a bit again. This is a good game for being a half life 2 mod, sorry for my bad english and thanks for making this awesome game.
  • DrAntagonistDrAntagonist Senior
    edited January 2017
    I started playing Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II back in July of 2010. I was only 11 years old then so I was looking for a free Steam game, and I always loved pirates, vikings, and knights, so this one looked perfect. I remember picking the pirates first (On Island, I believe.) and thinking that they had guns, so the guns had to be the best things. My first achievement was "Purple Heart".

I have too many fond memories of this game to pick just one favourite tale, but I'm especially fond of when the Island secret wasn't so well known, and I took a few chests in there with some other people. Everyone was so confused as to where all the chests were, it was hilarious. Since then I've been playing this game off and on, and as long as Steam lets me host a server and invite some friends, I think I'll always keep playing this game.
  • GritGrit Senior
    A big congrats for reaching the 10 year milestone. Here's to another 10, and I hope you keep going.

I first played PVKII back in 2009. At the time I had a very basic computer and could only play low demand games such as this and TF2. As a dedicated fan of Half Life and the engine itself, this game simply clicked with me. I love the community, I love that I can always find a game, and I just overall love the gameplay. You just don't see asymmetrical multiplayer like this anymore, and the fact the devs are still supporting it is a testament to their dedication. When I came back to find new classes like the Man-at-Arms and Sharpshooter, I was blown away! I think my funniest moment was discovering that most projectiles ricochet off the ground. I found this out when my javelin bounced off the ground and nailed an Archer right in the head.

So from Grit, the Booty Defender I say thank you for all the memories. I can't wait for more.
  • lokkdokklokkdokk Senior
    edited January 2017
    Hello, I'm known on the forum, and in a game like lokkdokk. The first time I played in PVKII in late 2011 early 2012. It was unforgettable, powder kegs, parrot, beautifully detailed maps, as well as the idea of ​​the three teams in the Source modification! On the Island, with its secret, these beautiful Fort, DesertRuin and other equally beautiful maps. I love Saints. But most of the rest of the story I like to create modifications. I drew attention to the first part of the modification, and began to dig in search of information. As it became known later, Gaz and Akz become part of a new team, we know that Gaz recreated Island and Pinegrove, and also did so and never published SailAway, that map on which players can control the ships and organize real battles in the modification. Akz, who developed GrogBot for the first part of the modification started to create bots for the second part of mod, but has not yet been brought to the development of the mind, or the developers do not want to let bots for some other reasons.
    More than anything else, I like to reread an article on unpublished maps and search for information about them. I often look at the old site in the web archive. For example, I found information about pvk_crossroads learned about pvk_catacombs. It is a pity that the developers have lost them, as well as pvk_clouds. I am very happy that Hurtcules revived Glacier.
    I am glad that it is working on AGSMA lts_bellyhazard, Miggog te_forge over and over Combine pvk_stranded, and Finlord with HelmsDeep.
    I am happy that the community has a man like El Negro, who constantly creates for the community crazy things.
    And I would like to thank all previous and current developers, as well, also everyone who supports our friendly community this 10 a long years and does not cease to believe in this game.
    I love you.
    Your loKkdoKk.

P.S. sorry for my pure shiт english.
  • LittleBirdyLittleBirdy Senior
    edited June 8
    For me, existence of PVKII and its community made Steam a fun platform to play on. I hardly used to own any game in Steam when I was in homecountry, simply because western games are so expensive there. And the handful of free game which are available to us, are either not fun or simply put too much focus on the profits than fun factor or casual nature of the game.

I discovered PVKII accidently around end of 2010 while I was surfing best free mods in Google. I remember the second page of the google had a Steam discussion page, which forwarded me to PVKII Steam forum. I read the store page and I have to say, first thing which caught my eyes was that this game was 100% free and with pirates. That’s it, I installed it on my PC, which by the way took 2 days on my very dated PC compare to what was on the market around the world at that time, and I started playing. It was funtastic and I was hooked.

I convinced my friends in later months in hometown to play with me. We sunk so many hours together. One of my friend who had a better internet connection in over there started a server where many native gamers join in. We would host a PVK II tournament at the Computer Lab at my school. Fortunately, our lab master wasn’t as tough on us as were our other teachers. I even got my Computer teacher to play the game with us. It was only time in my life where I saw a teacher actually having fun and laughs. However, we graduated, moved on in life and they left the game, leaving me stranded.

Luckily, I came to US for undergrad study and my craze for this game was still alive. I discovered that US has many good servers for this game. I made cool new mates who were veterans yet respectful to others.

The biggest thing PVK II has which no other game has is its passion. I have seen the growth in these past 5 years, and I can’t believe I am saying that, because I usually get bored from playing same games. Every game in PVK surprises me with the new move or some new taunt or a new map. My biggest achievement in PVK was when I hit a headshot, while standing on top of the palm tree, on one of the dev and that bullet hit because it reflected. The dev applauded me on chat for that (but later on that game, he/she got his/her revenge fully). Here I am, 6 years later, still playing the game. Never had a single game where I’ve said, ‘man this wasn’t close or fun.’ Please devs always be passionate. You have achieved this milestone because of your dedication and efforts and many sleepless nights. Keep being the kindle for this game so everyone around the world can play this treasure. Cheers!
    :ss: :captain: :parrot: :archer:
    Archer should have been a pirate.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Beta Tester
    In short, being able to have a PC to be able to handle Source 2 after all the time I spent in PVK1 was the memory for me since it started to where I am today in the game.

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited January 2017
    10 Years of PVKII $50 Steambucks Giveaway Contest is now closed. Any more entries after this post will not count. We will announce the winner shortly today.

Developers, last call to vote! Vote here:
    http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=15670&pid=267160&st=0&#entry267160

xq0LCrG.png

Developer voting for the 10 Years of PVKII $50 Steambucks Giveaway Contest is now closed.

And the winner is, with 40% of Developer votes....

WINNER
    [attachment=1543:photo-thumb-9490.jpg]
    LITTLEBIRDY

It was a close race between LittleBirdy, Brandell, and Dobbi124.

LittleBirdy won us over with his touching tales of a PVKII tournament at the Computer Lab at his school, gathering friends to play in India and in US, and his poetic and expressive appreciation. Congrats LittleBirdy!

Thank you all for your participation in the contest, thank you for your boundless appreciation that goes beyond 500 words, and thank you for your passion for PVKII through out the years.

To PVKII! :icon_grog:

xq0LCrG.png

edited January 2017
    Well, I am sad.
    I think I will regret about this, but... It's just rage, you know?

Congratilations, Birdy...

BE ME

HAVING A GOOD DAY, TRANSLATING ARCTICLES OF PVKII WIKI

NOTICE THIS CONTEST

TRYING YOUR BEST, YOU ARE WRITING THE EPIC STORY, USING ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH, MAKING A STORY REALLY EPIC, INCLUDING BLOOD, BATTLES AND BOOTY

EVEN TRANSLATE THE STORY OF YOUR GOOD FRIEND

WAITING FOR THE END OF STORY. READ ALL OTHER STORIES AND UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE MORE ABOUT THE LIFES OF PLAYERS IN PVKII, HOW THEY WERE TRAINING AND ETC, WHILE RULES SAY THAT YOU MUST TELL ABOUT ABOUT ONE MOMENT

THE END OF CONTEST

1. Indian guy
    2. You
    3. New member with one of the shirliest stories

RAGE FILLS YOU
  • lokkdokklokkdokk Senior
    Brandell wrote:

Well, I am sad.
    I think I will regret about this, but... It's just rage, you know?

Congratilations, Birdy...

BE ME

HAVING A GOOD DAY, TRANSLATING ARCTICLES OF PVKII WIKI

NOTICE THIS CONTEST

TRYING YOUR BEST, YOU ARE WRITING THE EPIC STORY, USING ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH, MAKING A STORY REALLY EPIC, INCLUDING BLOOD, BATTLES AND BOOTY

EVEN TRANSLATE THE STORY OF YOUR GOOD FRIEND

WAITING FOR THE END OF STORY. READ ALL OTHER STORIES AND UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE MORE ABOUT THE LIFES OF PLAYERS IN PVKII, HOW THEY WERE TRAINING AND ETC, WHILE RULES SAY THAT YOU MUST TELL ABOUT ABOUT ONE MOMENT

THE END OF CONTEST

1. Indian guy
    2. You
    3. New member with one of the shirliest stories

RAGE FILLS YOU

Approved.
    WOW. I did not imagine that I would win. Really I do appreciate this. Thank you devs, thank you community, lets make this game even bigger.
    As I said, it was a very close race. You came in second by one vote Brandell, as voted by Devs. Your tale was indeed quite epic :)

xq0LCrG.png

It doesnt make my mood better.
    Hell, even Dobbi with his "story" and great grammar got the third place.

Well, who needs my whines here? Let's end with that.
    Hi folks, please add me on Steam. My username is MehKind. To everyone who are not happy, I am willing to split the money by buying you games. Let's celebrate together.

Wut yer' se me homies??!! :icon_agapirate:
  • El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Senior
    Brandell wrote:
    CONTEST

Key word.

I was in 5 contests, I'll tell you one;
    This was a contest to make the best background possible, there were only three people doing it and one won, making some good-looking crap.
    Then I made my own, and another made his.

Mine was overly complex, 3 renders combined with various models and custom textures, even brushes and textures.
    The other? Blue background and just a smashes up render in the middle. Something I could do in less than 30 seconds.

Who won? Not me.
    Yep, 5 hours wasted when I could have spend just 30 seconds.

In short, contests are bullcrap, and if you're an emotional kind of guy (Which you are for sure), ignoring them is the best thing to do.
    Damn, that almost rhymed.
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

• Dobbi124Dobbi124 Senior
    Oh wow, I would have guessed I would have gotten like second to last or something, but I am truly honored. It wasn't first, but third I think is a good spot for me. Congrats LittleBirdy for getting first and Brandell for getting second. I want to see this community grow more and more as we move forward. Till then, I wish good fortune on everyone who participated. Well see you tavern wenches soon. :obama:
  • CrazytalkCrazytalk Terminator PVKII Team
    Thank you for the submissions, and congrats to LittleBirdy!

We will do more contests in the future, and hope all participants can be as gracious as Dobbi if someone else wins first place.

badass.jpg