Programming - ParaSwarm (David Selinger)

ParaSwarmParaSwarm PVKII Team, Applicant
edited May 2016 in Team Applications
Salutations!

I'm interested in the position of Programmer. Colonel has prompted me to apply several times, and I've finally decided, why not?

I've been programming for most of my life, starting at the age of 11.

I'm a Sr. Software Engineer for a living, where my primary language is C#, as well as JavaScript/TypeScript. Despite those being my specialities, I'm either skilled in, or have played with, a number of languages, frameworks, etc. I am very experienced in Git, and use it on a daily basis. I've been the lead dev on quite a few projects during my career.

I am well-versed in C++, having started using it at the age of 15. I spent 2 years as the Captain of a competitive Programming Team, travelling to different university coding competitions, where our primary language was C++. I have also used it extensively in an educational setting (college projects, etc.) OOP concepts are my bread and butter.

As far as game development goes - I don't have a plethora of it, but here it what I can show:

Mystic Crusade: An XNA / C#-based PC RPG. I was the co-developer on this with my buddy. It was never finished (XNA went the way of the dodo), but it is absolutely playable (inventory system, combat system, etc. Walking up and down slopes moves you in the direction of the slope, ala Chrono Trigger style. Tee hee.) This game was written completely from scratch, with our own custom-made event pipeline, etc.
Feel free to download and check it out!
http://www.mysticcrusade.com/

Space Wars: A Java-based space shooter I made in 2 days (most of the time was spent scouring the web for graphics and sounds.)
https://www.youtube....h?v=IARBYIenFa4

Other games include smaller things made for myself over the years, in assorted languages.

GitHub account: https://github.com/paraswarm (Most of my repos are side projects or college projects.)

As far as what sets me apart: my ability to learn and assimilate knowledge at a rapid pace is rather high, which would prove beneficial for quickly coming up to speed on both the Source SDK and the PVK2 code base.

In addition, being a developer for a living means I'm no stranger to deadlines, ambiguous requirements, knowing how to find the info I need, familiarity with advanced programming concepts, etc.

Finally, I like to consider myself a humble developer, in the sense that I'm not one of those devs that feels "they know everything." I am always looking to learn from my peers, as I feel everyone has something nifty they can teach. In addition, I am a HUGE fan of brainstorming as a team, shooting my ideas / designs to other devs to see what they think, etc. I don't get bent out of shape if someone disagrees with my opinion - I greatly prefer intelligent discourse instead of getting defensive over dissenting ideas. Sometimes you just need a good old fashioned sanity check.

I'm also no stranger to, nor adverse to, "starting from the bottom" in a junior position and proving myself. I love a good challenge.

In closing, I think most people here know how passionate I am about PVK, as I've played it since 2007 (and still do, too frequently.) It would be something special for me to be able to contribute to what is, in essence, one of my favorite games of all time. I would love to be able to dedicate myself and give something back to this wonderful game and its community.

Cheers!

Comments

• ParaSwarmParaSwarm PVKII Team, Applicant
    edited 11:57AM
    Also, here's my LinkedIn profile, for more details on my non-gaming development experience and background.
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-selinger-06789336
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    Ahoy ther Paraswarm!

Welcome to the applicant group! Thank you for applying and on behalf of the PVKII team and Octoshark Studios we wish you most success in the applicant challenge process!

I feel you can learn source in all it's fun and challenges, and become a great programmer for the team! We could have an unstoppable trio! I hope you have fun and work well with all of our coders.

Please view your very own Applicnant WIP Zone thread here: http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=15371

TEST YOUR MIGHT! BEGIN!

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Thanks! I look forward to it.
  • Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    Knowing you very well, i think you should apply for Voice Acting aswell. You do have a range of very good voices and i would like it if you shared it to everyone here so they can give you some feedback, also keep you in mind for future times!
    Hey, thanks Combine! I'm definitely wanting to. I've been tinkering with some possible voices for upcoming classes (see: talking to myself in the car) and I'll definitely end up making some samples. I'm going to focus on the programming role first, and then see if I've got what it takes for some voice work.

P.S. Your voice is pretty solid for some voice acting, yourself. ;)
  • El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Senior
    Welcome, fresh meat to be eaten by El Negro, to PVKII.

Never seen you, do you play in American servers?
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

• GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    What a warm and polite application! :D
    El Negro wrote:

Welcome, fresh meat to be eaten by El Negro, to PVKII.

Never seen you, do you play in American servers?

Haha, thanks.

I usually do, yes. Occasionally I jump on the EU servers, but I mostly frequent the American servers.
  • SpirrwellSpirrwell That Guy That Knows Things About a Lot of Things PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    Well I certainly look forward to seeing a pro join us. Hope you aren't held back by us amateurs. :P But seriously, good luck! This is going to be awesome.
    5GY1DFV.png

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░██████░░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░██
    ░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░█████░░░███
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██░░░░░░████░░█████░░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████░░███████████░░████
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░░░██████████████████████████████░░░░░░██
    ░░░░░░░█████████████████████████████████░░░░░░██