Suggestions For Official Maps

Comments

• Echo of the pastEcho of the past Members, Senior
    edited 1:33PM

You should edit the clip brushes of the wall in the Knight's moat on Island so people can't climb out of it. Either that, or actually design it so anyone can instead of just the occasional veteran.

I second this.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    There is no moat, are you talking about the ditch that leads to the prison?
  • SphynxSphynx Senior
    You can climb up the wall to the left of the prison cave entry.

JxW7qeh.jpg

In order to do that, one has to jump on a set of stones that are sticking out. It's not too easy to master it.

T9BTVcB.jpg
    mEtxJiK.png
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Dang, what a terrible bit of displacement work! That must be from version 1 of the map or something, before I honed my skills in that area :-D

Thanks for the pictures, it helps so much more than you think! You're very detailed, and it helps more than you can imagine! I'll endeavour to fix that asap, hopefully before the next release!
  • Major ChulainMajor Chulain Senior
    expect some hate mail from people soon spynhx :D:D
    j7rk8n.jpg
  • SphynxSphynx Senior

expect some hate mail from people soon spynhx :D :D

Nive wrote:

You should edit the clip brushes of the wall in the Knight's moat on Island so people can't climb out of it. Either that, or actually design it so anyone can instead of just the occasional veteran.

Ready to forward them! :o
    mEtxJiK.png
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Pinegrove players!

Have you played on Pinegrove (PG) much in the last couple of days? If so how balanced have you found it?
  • MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    edited January 2016
    Gaz wrote:

Pinegrove players!

Have you played on Pinegrove (PG) much in the last couple of days? If so how balanced have you found it?

Okay, round two, and this time with less ignorance on my part.

I see that you try to balance the pirates rather vulnerable position and inabillity to get that chest on the bridge at the start of a round by giving them a chest right from the beginning. I really don't like this idea. Giving a faction a chest right from the beginning, having the announcers and text on screen scream that the pirates are winning in a time of the game where every player still focuses on these things will most often lead to new players attacking said team without any other concern, like if another team is winning. Now I like that you took the chest from the one side were the least players go to at the start of the round but, well, I personally would've that got rid of that booty on the bridge and make it a 4 chest map.

Problem number still stands, so I just going to repeat it with a little upgrade. The cave for the Pirates is just not made for them. The faction really does not like tight spaces (something Vikings on the other hand love), and even if some other faction would have their base there, it just seems way to easy to get into that cave and move-special right back out of it with a chest, at least when escaping to the side the bridge area is at. That second problem is my biggest issue right now, just how dificult it is to properly survey that entrance towards the bridge area. One gets out of sight very quickly going that way, especially if there is a bit of chaos going on inside the pirates base. It just should be better viable. I don't know, maybe a little hole that gives direct view towards the entrance and can also be used to snipe through? Yeah, that sounds nice. Really nice, actually. Would increase the defencive capabilities towards that side greatly.

Again, sorry I didn't realize there was a patch.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Let me know when you've played it a bit more, I made a minor tweak to the starting arrangements :-)
  • Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited January 2016
    If I recall correctly, based on what I've seen and the conclusions I've reached, Pinegrove is a well balanced map.

The single aspect I would even consider suggesting an alteration to, is the placement of the Viking's runic chest zone, although given the placement of the well and raft (wooden floor paneling?) I suspect that the runes started where I would suggest putting them, but were moved. I also that suspect the nearby bridge influenced that decision.

I have only two suggestions for other aspects of the map. Now I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there's a hidden secret in the Viking spawn that I stumbled upon by chance. It's a short tunnel that leads to the wooden ramp leading to the wooden platform in the middle of their base. I only noticed it because I just gave the map a once-over with noclip. After respawning several times, I realized that even though a couple of spawn positions look almost directly at the tunnel, I'm usually so intent on leaving the spawn that I immediately refocus on the main exit, and miss the alternate exit in front of me.

The other point I'd like to make is that no matter how hard one runs into the gate of the Knights' spawn, it refuses to grant one an exit.
    What is this, the Dark Ages?

The Pirates' cave is too cramped for them, and is très facile to loot with a chest special.

One gets no further from the Pirates' base with a chest special than from any other base, with the sole exception of the Viking base and its off-center chest zone (I tested it). Even then, the terrain justifies this.

You should avoid sitting on the chests that you are trying to defend. It only works for the Knights sometimes.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    edited January 2016
    Ah crap, I didn't realize there was a patch last week! Sorry, just completely ignore my post! For now.

Edit:
    Alright then, had a quicky glance, be updating my previous post.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Cheers guys, they're all good points, in all honesty I think I might have been a little coy with the changes, thinking I might go a little further pending feedback :-)
  • MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    Updated my post. Have a look, why don't you?
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    I see what you mean about the announcer, I think one chest isn't enough and will probably try 2/3 chests at Pirates at round start and change the timers accordingly.

A sniping spot sounds lovely, except it'll mean the game engine will be able to render from one side of the map to the other and make anyone with a view through take a huge hit on FPS
  • MrMohoMrMoho Senior
    Gaz wrote:

A sniping spot sounds lovely, except it'll mean the game engine will be able to render from one side of the map to the other and make anyone with a view through take a huge hit on FPS

That rendering thing does sound troubling. Maybe you could position the cover-rock inside the pirates base in a way to prevent looking through that hole unless you are absolutely inside the cave.
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    If only it was that simple! The engine uses BSP brushes to block the engines vision, sadly it means displacements (terrain) and models don't block it.
  • lokkdokklokkdokk Senior
    My Suggestions To Fix or Change.

bt_island

1) 3d skybox mistake.

NjwYpeG.jpg

2) Displasement sew fix and water fix

4sw6l31.jpg

3) PalmStone Stuck Fix.

FusYjU6.jpg
    lts_cathedral

Change that hl2 texture

h5H7ZFW.jpg
    te_cara

1) water fix

ZIVG7Jj.jpg

2) Fireplace in the house is burning, but no smoke from a pipe

v5oSAwF.jpg
    te_sandstorm

what with this texture? bug or feature?

2NuQMBZ.jpg
    te_tortuga

1) No collision for this model?? so stupid mapfeature at pirates base.

Cdyyzj4.jpg
    lhkps2x.jpg

tw_desertruin

water fix

GhRaRXO.jpg
    tw_tortuga

how it works???

OQEcXNk.jpg

The end. Thanks for attention!
  • Combine™Combine™ Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited May 2016
    Lokkdokk. I really like how you took the time to find all of those but i feel like nothing really needs to be changed at all.

Since most of what you found are barely noticeable and are sorta not really worth fixing, to me though i wouldn't really wanna go through an entire map just to fix 1 tiny barely noticeable issue in displacements as it's sorta waste of time.

Honestly out of all you shown the only thing that should be fixed as it happened to me before would be Island 3) Palmtree stuck. As it does affect gameplay if you're one of those run about skirmishers running from Vikings, jumps and gets stuck in the middle of the rock then yeah that would be something worth fixing, But other than that everything else is fine.

Reason i say this is because there is no such thing as a 100% perfect map, a map is always bound to have tiny bugs or errors that do get ignored because well it doesn't affect gameplay 1 bit, and 2nd would be Hammer does have a limit to certain stuff so mappers gotta focus on what the player interacts with more importantly than focusing on say that water problem you posted where no one would have a problem with as lighting issues are bound to happen at times but once again it's not hurting anyone, it's not annoying just sometimes stuff like that happens and since it aint a big deal it can be ignored.

The way i see stuff though is if it doesn't affect gameplay and is very unnoticeable then it's not worth fixing. Unless the map gets an update then yeah you can maybe work something out to the creator of the map but other than that it's honestly not worth fixing.

I do appreciate your time and effort for finding these little things and posting them but as a level designer myself i just feel the stuff you posted are not really worth fixing as who knows, maybe fixing that problem could cause another problem in the map due to Hammer going stupid at times. Don't get the wrong impression though since it's good to have people like you point out stuff like this, just i feel it's not worth all the time to fix.

Others may see it differently though but i'm just sharing my thoughts.
    Combine™ wrote:

Lokkdokk. I really like how you took the time to find all of those but i feel like nothing really needs to be changed at all.

Since most of what you found are barely noticeable and are sorta not really worth fixing, to me though i wouldn't really wanna go through an entire map just to fix 1 tiny barely noticeable issue in displacements as it's sorta waste of time.

Honestly out of all you shown the only thing that should be fixed as it happened to me before would be Island 3) Palmtree stuck. As it does affect gameplay if you're one of those run about skirmishers running from Vikings, jumps and gets stuck in the middle of the rock then yeah that would be something worth fixing, But other than that everything else is fine.

Reason i say this is because there is no such thing as a 100% perfect map, a map is always bound to have tiny bugs or errors that do get ignored because well it doesn't affect gameplay 1 bit, and 2nd would be Hammer does have a limit to certain stuff so mappers gotta focus on what the player interacts with more importantly than focusing on say that water problem you posted where no one would have a problem with as lighting issues are bound to happen at times but once again it's not hurting anyone, it's not annoying just sometimes stuff like that happens and since it aint a big deal it can be ignored.

The way i see stuff though is if it doesn't affect gameplay and is very unnoticeable then it's not worth fixing. Unless the map gets an update then yeah you can maybe work something out to the creator of the map but other than that it's honestly not worth fixing.

I do appreciate your time and effort for finding these little things and posting them but as a level designer myself i just feel the stuff you posted are not really worth fixing as who knows, maybe fixing that problem could cause another problem in the map due to Hammer going stupid at times. Don't get the wrong impression though since it's good to have people like you point out stuff like this, just i feel it's not worth all the time to fix.

Others may see it differently though but i'm just sharing my thoughts.

I pointed to the cosmetic problems.
    topic is called a because * Official Suggestions for maps * so I made the request. and to fix something or do not have to decide to developers.
    lokkdokk wrote:

I pointed to the cosmetic problems.
    topic is called a because * Official Suggestions for maps * so I made the request. and to fix something or do not have to decide to developers.

True, but i just found the stuff you posted not really worth fixing. Since yeah the topic says to give suggestions and i do approve the way you're doing it but i feel what you posted isn't really a big deal is all as won't really change anything important.
    edited May 2016
    Combine™ wrote:
    True, but i just found the stuff you posted not really worth fixing. Since yeah the topic says to give suggestions and i do approve the way you're doing it but i feel what you posted isn't really a big deal is all as won't really change anything important.

I believe - Gaz makes corrections in bt_island. I think Uberman, CrazyTalk and Colonel makes the same fixes.
    http://imgur.com/g3X2KZ3

Viking spawn for island feels sorta empty and not really interesting

http://imgur.com/fp7DDUk

I created the Vikings Spawn from Island but made it a sorta more realistic feeling to it so Furniture to the side, weapon holders, fireplace at the back etc maybe give it a more realistic feel to it, like how Gazoid did it for Pinegrove Spawns would be nice to have the same relaxing feeling to it!

Maybe adding some stuff on the walls,floors anything to make it look pretty would be great!

Just giving you an example and hope you can maybe find some ways to prettify the spawns!
  • ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    edited May 2016
    Thank you lokdok!

Most of your suggestions make sense. Your island suggestions are good. Please be constructive though, calling something stupid and not providing an alternate idea isn't good for credibility. All in all I think Gaz would appreciate the feedback!

Also please don't double post. In the future perhaps place your feedback in a word document then paste it over into the forums all together. Noticed what I did there? Noticed a problem then offered a solution ;)

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Colonel wrote:
    Thank you lokdok! Most of your suggestions make sense. Your island suggestions are good. Please be constructive though, calling something stupid and not providing an alternate idea isn't good for credibility. All in all I think Gaz would appreciate the feedback! Also please don't double post. In the future perhaps place your feedback in a word document then paste it over into the forums all together. Noticed what I did there? Noticed a problem then offered a solution ;)/>

an alternative solution for the windows on te_tortuga remove from the glass model, and leave only the shutters. Add Player clip brushes to smooth sensation on that prop_dynamic model does not have a collision.
    I did so with prop_dynamic arches on te_highground remake ))
  • GazGaz Sir PVKII Team
    Cheers for the finds.

The "water fix" ones are just how the source engine works and can't be fixed, where shadow meets water there will always be a weird lip unfortunately.

The Stones+Palm issue has already been fixed internally, I'll fix up the displacement and skybox edge though.

Thanks for the suggestion Combine, I've thought about making it sexier but just haven't had the time of late as I very recently became a dad and boy, babies take ALL your time :o