tw_Domus: coming soon to a theater near you

2»

Comments

• AGSMAAGSMA The Antichrist has Resurrected PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    edited February 2015
    Combine™ wrote:

I really like the theme of the map! so far i notice my weapon has alot of black and purple lighting,

The cubemaps weren't placed in the map yet, it's something I'll add later in the map's development once the layout gets it's definitive version.

Combine™ wrote:

i like the breakable windows but maybe replace it with non breakable windows and make it seeable like a normal window,

I think breakable windows work for the sake of the players to run more freely, as well to evade enemy attacks. If the map didn't get breakable windows I'd expect a lot of players being trapped by a group of foes.

Combine™ wrote:

maybe add a ladder to let people go on the roof,

Could be. I'll probably add actual ladders later.

Combine™ wrote:

for the background maybe add lots trees and make it a forest environment would be nice and yeah that's pretty much all i gotta say so far it looks nice i'm liking it alot and i look forward to seeings more updates on the map, good luck!

Oh, you'll get trees. Lots of them.

Combine™ wrote:

that's pretty much all i gotta say so far it looks nice i'm liking it alot and i look forward to seeings more updates on the map, good luck!

Why thank you. Be aware that we'll have to test the map collectively so that the map gets a more balanced look.

76561198031989549.png

• Links121995Links121995 Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    edited February 2015
    The living room, pool, building near the boxes, and roof make a solid arena. Other than that, it's dark, cramped, and empty. The attic is a dead-end, the decline beyond the pool is a dead-end, and the sheds are out of the way.

Some of the spawn points could use some repositioning and reorienting.

I suggest removing the ammo pick-up from the upper level of the building by the boxes. It's just begging to be a campsite, regardless of how effective it is as one.

I'll have to review an actual battle to get more specific feedback.
    8gQi4T5.png
    edited 1:43AM

The living room, pool, building near the boxes, and roof make a solid arena. Other than that, it's dark, cramped, and empty. The attic is a dead-end, the decline beyond the pool is a dead-end, and the sheds are out of the way.

Some of the spawn points could use some repositioning and reorienting.

I suggest removing the ammo pick-up from the upper level of the building by the boxes. It's just begging to be a campsite, regardless of how effective it is as one.

I'll have to review an actual battle to get more specific feedback.

Lightning is still an issue to me because the original building itself is pretty dark when it has no lights turned on, so I guess this is pretty accurate, hehe.
    During the map's development I didn't get much of my time to make the attic a more complex place because of the issues I had to face with the rooftops. With the map evolving I eventually turn the attic into a more open second floor with a wide balcony that extends through the corridor, so that players can evade more easily. Not only that but the rooftops will be changed after this first test for the sake of more lightning and more evasiveness.
    And yeah, that ammo pack clearly wants to be used every so often. We'll see how it will behave during the test, this evening.

76561198031989549.png

• ColonelColonel Finger Lickin' Good PVKII Team
    I'll try to be there!

xq0LCrG.png
    Everything has its beginning, hop aboard the grogboat!  
    Colonel: Co-Lead | Level Designer

Thanks to everyone who joined this test. Be sure to write anything you like and dislike about the map and suggest changes!

76561198031989549.png

edited February 2015
    Layout
    I'd say that the areas can be defined as:
    - The Living Room
    - The Rooms
    - The Hall
    - The Attic
    - The Roof
    - The House (all of the above)
    - The Pool
    - The Back
    - The Sheds
    - The Hill
    and finally - The Hill Base

Gameplay
    The rounds began with the players scattered far and wide. After the initial spawning in, ranged classes took up vantage points on the Pool's and Hill's corners while the other classes navigated towards them in roughly straight lines.

Escaping from the ranged classes was difficult due to the lack of cover, and they remained outside the building.

The sloped nature of the map (Roof, above Pool, above Hill and Sheds, above Hill Base) gave players on the Roof or Pool a natural advantage over players by the Pool or Hill. During testing, I found that players would retreat down the hill rather than take cover in the House. The #1 reason for entering the House was to get out on the other side (or to fight me).

Despite the plentiful supplies in the Sheds and House, players were content to rush back-and-forth along the hill. This would continue until the round ended. On occasion, combat would migrate (usually as the result of some spineless coward) to the Sheds, or to the Back. Cowards fled downwards from this area less.

Perhaps they stayed due to the supplies in the Sheds, or the split-down-the-middle nature of the Back which gave them easy access to cover, or perhaps the Roof offered a better escape route. Personally, I would use the windows to bug out of there.

Role-based Gameplay
    - Flanker: in and around the House, flankers had plenty of options. Chimney infiltration of the Living Room via the Roof; access to the Back, Sheds, Pool, Rooms, Hall, and Living Room from the Roof; height advantage on the Roof, several opportunities for relatively unexpected ambushes via the Rooms and Hall.
    Beyond the House, flankers had significantly less options, with little cover, but great distances to traverse.

- Tank: in and around the House, tanks had plenty of supplies, and walls to put their backs to. On the Hill, they often had trouble matching the speed of the flankers and shooters they were supposed to protect/smite. As if that weren't enough, they were all-too-easily surrounded.

- Shooter: on the Roof, shooters had a great advantage, yet they rarely ventured there. I presume the single access point contributed to this. In the House and by the Pool, shooters were often ambushed and killed. Their retreat from those areas may explain why they congregated on the Hill below. Around the Back, shooters on the Roof, ground, and near the Sheds seemed content with their positions.

Balance
    The Roof offers a great advantage to any group of shooters that can get to it, while most other classes are powerless to reach them without incurring heavy losses.

The House offers great protection from shooters and plenty of opportunities for tanks and flankers to battle for supremacy.

Players in the pool may be assaulted from all sides, but the players assaulting them suffer the same liability.

The Hill is large, relatively flat, empty, and far from cover and height. Definitely in favor of shooters.

The Pirates and the Vikings are equally matched in the close quarters of the House. The Pirates have numerous ways to flee, good vantage points on the Roof and at both ends of the Hall, while the Vikings have few ways to be outwitted and plenty of supplies.

The Knights are more at home on the Hill, around the Back, by the Sheds, and along the far side of the Pool where they can see opponents coming, and can't be surrounded as easily.

Most of the pick-ups are in the House, but nobody camps there, so camping the supplies appears to be a non-issue.

Additional Notes About The Map
    Engaging anybody with a long weapon in one of the Rooms is suicide.

There is no cover in the Hall.

A quick trip through the House will restore any class from near-death to very-much-alive.

I personally feel that the windows are the map's strongest point.

The Roof can only be reached via some boxes around the Back, or with a tricky jump out of the Attic window.

Bugs
    The lowest step of the longest set of stairs by the Pool is too high

There is no barrier above the chain link fence to prevent players from simply "nope"-ing out of the map.

The pick-ups are almost all beneath tables.

I know not how Colonel accomplished it, but he proved that somehow, one can perch in the trees beyond the Pool.

Suggestions

Bring the Sheds closer to the House.

Add a wall halfway along the Hall, and remove the walls that divide the Rooms into pairs.

Vertically expand the windows.

Additional Roof access points.

Render the plant by the Pool non-corporeal.

Reposition and reorient the spawn points away from cramped locations in the middle of combat-heavy areas.

Implement initial team spawn locations. I suggest the Attic, halfway down the Hill, and the Sheds as potential locations.

Make the narrow window by the main entrance of the House more obviously impassable.

Upgrade to Beta.

With all of that said, I enjoyed my time spent on that map. That may have been because I also happened to be playing Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II, but I strongly suspect that the map was at least a contributing factor. I look forward to your progress.

Also, that was at least two and a half hours.
    8gQi4T5.png
    And here's a gameplay montage with me being the best worst player ever.

Links' analysis of the map will serve a lot for this map's next update, in order to make it more user friendly for any class, as well making it more romanized. More updates to come in the next couple of days.

76561198031989549.png

It's like a kill montage from the victim's point of view.

I feel that you edited out your own kills. Mine too.
    8gQi4T5.png
    I'm already working on the updates, including a fixed skybox, new indoor lightning, and something more. Look at the new living room.
    Before
    XtUPwJ0.jpg

After
    IMQOypC.jpg

Also, I remember Links mentioning a specific brush so that pickups don't fall down under other props. What is it called?

76561198031989549.png

edited February 2015
    Uh... Noclip? I think? It's been a while since I did anything with regard to Hammer, and I'm not the one who mentioned the brush in the first place. I'm pretty sure that it was Colonel.

I suspect that the engine ignores static props when placing pick-ups. An invisible brush would probably resolve the issue, so I second the Noclip suggestion.

During the play-test, I observed a number of players (or possibly just Felis on a number of different occasions) attempt to bust through the narrow window by the main entrance. Perhaps it could be made more obviously impassable?

I like the changes, and feel that the far side of the new pool would be an excellent location for a pick-up.
    8gQi4T5.png
  • FelisFelis Glitch Kitty PVKII Team
    Toolsnodraw.gif
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited February 2015
    It doesn't actually matter what material is applied to the brush underneath the pick up, just as long as there is one there. I personally use SKIP; that way the brush is non solid, contrary to NODRAW.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    edited February 2015
    Here's a quick update: more ways to go to the roof.
    nlxGyCS.jpg

Also, I added this building, which I always forget it's name and it's used to conservate maize.
    KosHOBb.jpg

I also introduced cubemaps to the level. While it's great to not have checkered textures the reflections in metalic materials are still too bright. Does it have to do with the cubemaps' concentration? And the indoors pool is also affected by the cubemaps, probably I need to enable that lod entity.
    jTWmhJ8.jpg

I move the mouse a little bit and...
    lYk8e6T.jpg

And for some reason the SKIP brushes aren't doing their job, the pickups always trespass through the props.

76561198031989549.png

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    AGSMA wrote:

I also introduced cubemaps to the level. While it's great to not have checkered textures the reflections in metalic materials are still too bright. Does it have to do with the cubemaps' concentration? And the indoors pool is also affected by the cubemaps, probably I need to enable that lod entity.

I move the mouse a little bit and...

That's most likely because you have water brushes at different altitudes within the same VIS cluster. Try hiding all but one bit of water and compiling to see if that fixes it.

And for some reason the SKIP brushes aren't doing their job, the pickups always trespass through the props.

Strange, does Nodraw work?
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    edited February 2015
    Nodraw works well enough, even though if I make the brush a bit too big it clips through the walls and the props, so I need to take care of that with more caution. Because of that the pickups look like they're floating, rather than being posed over the tables.

76561198031989549.png

• El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Guests
    This is a comment.
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog

Nice to remind me that this thread exists. Actually, I always knew about it, I'm just lazy as heck.
    Anyway, for those who wonder, I started a remake of the first public build I made, with several changes based on Links' suggestions. All I can say is that I might not touch the vmf file until my major projects are done. All I can say is that gone are the dead ends, and a couple more paths and areas to explore are in the works.

76561198031989549.png

• El NegroEl Negro The Genuinely Only Sane Person Guests
    AGSMA wrote:

Nice to remind me that this thread exists. Actually, I always knew about it, I'm just lazy as heck.
    Anyway, for those who wonder, I started a remake of the first public build I made, with several changes based on Links' suggestions. All I can say is that I might not touch the vmf file until my major projects are done. All I can say is that gone are the dead ends, and a couple more paths and areas to explore are in the works.

How about I make you a custom high-quality skin of one character just for you as a reward for finishing the map? Yes, you gotta finish it ;)

This better raise your wants & hopes up!
    I make mods.
    Your soul cannot be saved.
    Like my mods and think I deserve something? It's always money, you can pay me up on PayPal using this e-mail; TheSandhog@outlook.com
    Or just use this link; https://www.paypal.me/TheSandhog