General History of the Robberies and Murders of the most notorious Pyrates

SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
http://en.wikipedia...._of_the_Pyrates

"A General History introduced many features which later became common in pirate literature, such as pirates with missing legs or eyes, the myth of pirates burying treasure, and the name of the pirates flag the Jolly Roger. The author specifically cites two pirates as having named their flag Jolly Roger; Welsh pirate Bartholomew Roberts in June, 1721, and English pirate Francis Spriggs in December 1723.[5] In giving an almost mythical status to the more colourful characters, such as the infamous English pirates Blackbeard and Calico Jack, the book provided the standard account of the lives of many people still famous in the 21st century, and influenced pirate literature of Robert Louis Stevenson and J.M.Barrie.[6]

The book was released in two volumes. The first mostly deals with early 18th century pirates, while volume II records the exploits of their predecessors a few decades earlier. In the first volume "Johnson" sticks fairly close to the available sources, though he embellishes the stories somewhat. He stretches the truth farther in the second volume, and includes the biographies of three subjects who may be entirely fictional. The book has been hugely influential in shaping popular notions of piracy, and in 1925 the pirate historian Philip Gosse wrote;

"Not a long while ago it was the custom to smile indulgently at Johnson's History as being a mixture of fact and fancy, but from time to time old documents have been rescued from some dusty nook of oblivion which have proved his good faith. Many of the incidents looked upon as imaginary are found all to be absolutely accurate in date and circumstance".[7]

While the majority of facts in Johnson's History have proven to be accurate, it is likely that he used considerable licence in his accounts of pirate conversations.[7]

The buccaneers profiled in Volume I are Henry Every, Blackbeard, Stede Bonnet, Calico Jack Rackham, Israel Hands, Edward England, Charles Vane, Mary Read, Anne Bonny, Howell Davis, Bartholomew ("Black Bart") Roberts, Thomas Anstis, Richard Worley, George Lowther, Edward Lowe, John Evans, James Martel, Francis Spriggs, John Smith, John Gow, and Roche Braziliano. Volume II features Thomas Tew, William Kidd, John Bowen, John Halsey, Thomas White, Thomas Howard, David Williams, Samuel Burgess, Nathaniel North, Christopher Condent, Samuel Bellamy, and William Fly, as well as biographies of the probably fictional captains James Misson, Lewis, and Cornelius."

http://books.google.com/books/about/A_General_History_of_the_Robberies_and_M.html?id=pzJWUt3QN-kC

What do you guys think about these stories? What are some of your favs if you read them? What about the mystery that surrounds the author? Would you consider this book a work of fiction, a book of truth, or mixed?

Comments

• UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 8:48AM
    I'm not sure I see the point of this post, please explain?
  • SharpiemanSharpieman Senior
    edited June 2013

I'm not sure I see the point of this post, please explain?

This book is the book that started most pirate lore! Its supposed to spark a discussion about these old tales. Click the google link and click the book you can read a fair portion of the book. Isnt this general discussion? Just checked, it is general discussion. This topic should fit right in with the only guideline being "Talk about anything you want, as long as you keep it civil. "
  • UberMannUberMann Level Designer PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    I wasn't trying to imply you had posted this in the wrong forum, I just expected a question at the end of the post, something that you would like to see discussed. In this case something like "What do you think about these old tales?" would have completely sufficed. I would have liked to see you get the ball rolling and just offer a starting point of discussion.

But don't get me wrong, this is not a big deal, I personally just find it harder to discuss a content dump without getting a nudge in the right direction first.
  • Cap1Cap1 Land Lubber! Banned
    edited June 2013
    As much as I am facinated with Pirate history,
    I agree with Ubermann, it is kinda general if you don't lead the conversation to a certain way.
    I don't see any point to your post considering the title you chose and the content in the post itself.
    edited June 2013
    alright ill add some questions in addendum.... done
  • Dr. ODr. O Minister of Roggen Senior
    edited June 2013
    I'm too busy to read all of this now, but I have been reading books about pirates and those times based on historical facts. I really got shocked by the brutal nature of those times when a human's life was worth nothing. It might sound fun and seem to be interesting being a pirate (because of having played pvk lol) but I'm gald I live today and not 200 years ago.
    PVKII Server: The House of Dr. O
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:
    te_sahara_b1 : http://pvkii.gameban...com/maps/184372
    Weddings: http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=221933

15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: well you're the minister of roggen
    15:55 - Sir Whiskeyngton: you'd just be doing your job
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: I need to send an army of monks to the enemy
    15:56 - Sir Whiskeyngton: since I'm the minister of propaganda

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:22 PM - Felis catus: base64
    5:23 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: nab
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: dr o could translate that without a decoder
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he is a wizard
    5:23 PM - Felis catus: he actually programmed roggen
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: he programmed the world
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: how it behaves
    5:24 PM - Felis catus: dr o is god
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: lol
    5:24 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: you forgot the first commandment
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o made him
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o defined the gods
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: dr o did everything
    5:25 PM - Felis catus: he is the god

I prefer being a cabin boy 200 years ago rather than a modern shmohawk,
    living short and dying hard is where it's at.
  • Ninja-ORCNinja-ORC Senior
    I have heard some fridgeed up stories about the ship life back then. Usually they would have a boy who would sit on something to stretch something so the crew could have their fun with him(im not going into detail). I don't know why they didn't bring women maybe its that old joke that ladies were bad luck on the open seas. I doubt anyone here would want to be that boy on the ship, poor son of a bitch.
    76561197981087625.png They say there are no ninjas in PVK. I beg to differ.
  • Pache94Pache94 Donald Thumb Beta Tester
    Ninja-ORC wrote:

I have heard some fridgeed up stories about the ship life back then. Usually they would have a boy who would sit on something to stretch something so the crew could have their fun with him(im not going into detail). I don't know why they didn't bring women maybe its that old joke that ladies were bad luck on the open seas. I doubt anyone here would want to be that boy on the ship, poor son of a bitch.

king_k__rool_by_biel12-d3f0vny.gif
    edited June 2013
    Cap1 wrote:

living short and dying hard is where it's at.

Then join the foreign legion or something. There is enough stuff you can do today which will make you live short and die hard. I wish you fun. But in my opinion this is just empty chatter.
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:

5:22 PM - Felis catus: QSBtYW4gY2hvb3NlcywgYSBzbGF2ZSBvYmV5cywgQWxsIHdvcmsgYW5kIG5vIHBsYXkgbWFrZXMgU2lyIFdoaXNrZXluZ3RvbiBhIGR1bGwgYm95Lg==
    5:25 PM - Sir Whiskeyngton: 1. Thou shalt have no gods; thou shalt only have Budnab.

edited June 2013
    Dr. O wrote:

Then join the foreign legion or something. There is enough stuff you can do today which will make you live short and die hard. I wish you fun. But in my opinion this is just empty chatter.

I am dead serious, I prefer living an adventurous life of freedom rather than being contained by modern slavery, it is empty chatter since I don't have a time machine, thought still exists and nice to think about.
    edited June 2013
    Cap1 wrote:

I am dead serious, I prefer living an adventurous life of freedom rather than being contained by modern slavery, it is empty chatter since I don't have a time machine, thought still exists and nice to think about.

Strange view of freedom. Your little cabin boy from those times did not have a choice, the dirtiest work was left for him, refusing it would mean no work and no food.
    Also, a person's freedom ends at the point where another person's freedom starts, what you call "adventures" there was brutal pillage.
    Anyone can become whatever he/she wants today, at least in most of the countries, and no one forces anyone to do anything. If anyone feels like a slave with what he/she does, he/she probably made a wrong decision there ;)
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:

edited June 2013
    In today's world, most people work hard for someone else, guranteed nothing but a paycheck that you can barely survive on let alone starting a family cell, the economy is designed in a way where the chances of you becoming rich are slim , that of course while following the rules of modern day capitalism of working a 9-5.

That cabin boy was doing exactly what we do, working hard to eat, while being at the bottom of the food chain with the aspirations of climbing the ladder of succsess and dreams of being the captain one day.
    I don't know where are you from that its that easy to say that everyone can become whatever he or she wants today, that thought is true in fairy-tales only.

I do not feel like a slave personally since I have a variety of interests and I'm not being grinded out from the rat-race, when I was working in an online advertisment company I did feel like modern slave, working from 8am till sometimes 10pm with no extra hours being paid to me.
    When I left my job, I decided to study survival techniques and went to explore the desert with nothing much on my backpack , that was the most intense feeling of freedom I had felt, not knowing what tomorrow will bring and appreicate the small stuff like finding a banana tree in the middle of the desert, or seeing in the horizon bedouin nomads not knowing if they're a friend or a foe, untill they are close enough to hand me some water or offer fruits they carry on their herd of sheeps, that is freedom for me.

Of course crime is not what I had in mind when I said I prefer being a cabin boy on a pirate ship, but the feeling of freedom and adventures while not being a part of the rat-race.
    One cannot be a master of his own destiny in the current capitalistic system, at least lawfully.
    edited June 2013
    Of course one has to work hard, I'm not saying that we all can just sit and chill out today. What I'm saying is that one is free to choose his work today and the cabin boy was not, school was a priviledge at that time. If someone chooses some wrong thing to do then he might feel like a slave with that.
    And if one thinks he cannot be a master then he will never be a master, even if it's possible. It's the attitude that matters and can get you anywhere. Barack Obama is just a normal guy like every one else, playing pvk and stuff, but he made an effort there and became super-admin ;)
    --friendly fire
    --manual block

My maps/plugins:

Wowza woke up to a large discussion, a bit derailed but I don't mind that at all as its some what on topic. I personally think Dr. O has it right, in the thought that your life today is mostly dictated by your own actions.