Archer's Specail

ThatOneBoxThatOneBox Senior
edited 2:19AM in Suggestions
after playing for quite some time, i've found that a team of good archers can steamroll a low populated server. say you have 3 archers, 3 pirates and 3 vikings. even if all of the vikings went huscarl, it only takes 5 arrows to break a shield. (more than likely you are going to get crossbowed anyways) or, if you pull out shields, the archer keeps you at bay by aiming at you, but then shooting a pirate at the last minute. this is very smart for the archer because you cannot put down your shield to advance, for risk of being shot, but the archer hitting the pirate gets a specail. (which goes through shield). So, this was my proposition...i'm not sure if you could code something like this, but depending on the amount of players in the server, the archer's specail should use up 3 arrows for the specail instead of one. i understand with a higher player base, the archer is going to need more arrows, and it makes sense that his specail would only use 1 arrow in that case. but when you have 3 vikings trying to block 3 archers, not to mention whoever the pirates decide to attack, it can become tedious quite fast. i recommend if there is 3 people on each team, or lower, the archer uses 3 arrows for his specail instead of one.

inb4 dodge.

Comments

• OcelotOcelot Senior
    edited 2:19AM
    understanding how to defeat a team of archers is half the battle

use cover and your axes/javelin

and a good sharpshooter can handle archers pretty easy

same with the skirm. try changing your path of travel and using jumps to evade
    My Mother sent me to Vietnam to Straighten me out, I was Twelve...

ron-dancing-animated.gif
  • ThatOneBoxThatOneBox Senior
    Ocelot wrote:

understanding how to defeat a team of archers is half the battle

use cover and your axes/javelin

and a good sharpshooter can handle archers pretty easy

same with the skirm. try changing your path of travel and using jumps to evade

that's jsut basic stuff. that doesn't always work. i'm not going to name names, but there are a few players on pvk who will all go on knights and al lplay archer and thy are all very good at it. especailly when they surround you and you CAN'T use cover. Pirates are jsut specail food.
  • OcelotOcelot Senior
    idk i can counter most pro archers with the skirm pretty effectivly

not to say what your saying doesnt have merit

it just doesnt seem like a big problem to me

archers use to get on my nerves untill i learned how to dodge arrows and specials

ron-dancing-animated.gif
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    Back in the day when I saw this both teams would gang up on the archers and that ended them really quick

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• I_Davidian_II_Davidian_I Land Lubber! Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    ThatOneBox wrote:

after playing for quite some time, i've found that a team of good archers can steamroll a low populated server. say you have 3 archers, 3 pirates and 3 vikings.

But you could also say, a team of 3 experienced pirates or vikings could also clear out a server...

ThatOneBox wrote:

Pirates are jsut specail food.

The skirmisher having the most runspeed makes it the prime class for dodging arrows. I would advise not going Captain if the knights were stacked with decent archers. Pick an appropriate class for the situation and work as a team, thats how these archers succeed untill you single them out from the group and get ganged.

A pair of working hands will achieve more than thousands of pair of hands praying

• OcelotOcelot Senior
    exactly davidian thats what i was trying to say skirms make them archers sweat when you play them right

ron-dancing-animated.gif
  • DinahDinah Skirmisher's wench PVKII Team
    When i encounter loads of archers on island for example i usually try to check theirs strategies, if they run away alone a lot i pick zerk, if they gang i pick huskie.
    If i'm pirate i only play skirm so no problem when its a solo archer, however when they gang on me i cant dodge all their stuff and end up taking alot of damage if i dont get in close fast. Once im close i can use the archers as meatshields as i wack at them with my sword, hopefully they are stupid enough not to pull out their butterknife. If i get a special its all smooth sailing afterwards. Of course if they all have specials i might as well just give up and blow myself up.

SS is just not my choice as i cant hit with that rifle with my nabish pings.
    LOLIWDIT_zpsec1f606c.jpeg
    Agsma is me from the future
  • CrackpunchCrackpunch Senior
    keg
    trolololsig.png

Join us! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PVKANZ A group for Australians and New Zealanders
  • simiussimius Senior
    ye, as already said it just depends on the skill level of each team. If the pirates are just feeding specials and your team, vikings, isn't that.. convincing either you can easily be outplayed even if you team up against a decent team of archers. cost of 3 arrows for their special wouldn't change thaat much besides i reckon it's balanced anyway

there's always a period of time where you can advance fairly save by lowering your shield in the right moment. you can try to dodge arrows even when you shield yourself by predicting the moment they're gonna fling that arrow which will be most likely as soon as it's fully charged except your trying to advance with said strategy. that could make it 10 arrows or more they need to break your shield.
    obviously skill level / teamstacking will win the game
  • DenshinDenshin Beta Tester, Authorized Creator
    I have to agree that someone once said that a knight team full of HK's will have to put some effort into their killing, whilst a team with the same people full of archers will scare everyone away. I believe this is just because of how archers, by just being around, simply just denies paths. No one wants to be in the line of sight of an archer and this forces them to retreat around cover or take other routes, giving the knight team some breathing room, heavy knights are really just there to keep the archers alive and protected while the archers are the ones really getting all the kills.

I've stated this long ago, but whenever any team begins to have an exceptional amount of victories or are being very notably efficient with gaining kills, both of the other teams will start to instinctivly work together against their common enemy, which ups the difficulty a bit for the team that's doing very well.
    If I'm up against a strong team, I'll just try to pick the class that moves the fastest and try to go guerilla, hit and runs. If I'm a skirmisher and run up behind someone, I can land 2, maybe 3 hits before my target will turn around and switch focus on me, if I run away before he does that I will have won for the moment and I can just keep running around hitting peoples backs and repeating the process. If I stick around and try to take the guy down he or more so his teammates will have a good opportunity to flank me and group up on me and that.. would.. kinda hurt :c.

QUOTE (Trojan•Clinique @ Nov 8 2011, 08:06 PM)
    Denshin is a rather overpowered class.

QUOTE (Lucas =) @ Jan 12 2012, 08:16 AM)
    We're currently working on making Denshin less OP.
    signatureopaquesmall.png

• JollyRogerJollyRoger Members, Senior
    I have to agree and I call this "Typical Everyday Archer Bullshirley ( TEABS [TM] )"

A good archer can spot someone completely unaware they are targeting them-hit the player and gain an obscene amount of their special bar. Then use a crossbow at any player(s) with a brain to attack them (crossbow penetrates shield) then if that doesn't kill them, three seconds into the game the archer already has a special and can fire it at multiple players (Penetrating multiple shields) Regardless of the server count of players,

Now, stack a team of players on knights that are very good at archer that can easily replicate the above formula ( Which happens every single day of the week ) and you get a server that dies in a couple of minutes to ranged damage, the last player is left to deal with several archers shooting and reloading crossbows at them until they die. Which I label TEABS respectively.

No other class can replicate this, no other team replicates this. The archer in general is just the ultimate ranged class in a game made for melee and it kills effortlessly with even a little bit of practice.
  • ThatOneBoxThatOneBox Senior
    funny thing is i think the Archer's are still a bigger threat than a Sharpshooter. finally, someone who agrees with me.
    A stacked knight team -will- dominate, so will a stacked pirate team or a stacked viking team. This, still, doesn't mean that any particular class is unbalanced. I've seen vikings full of good berserkers who, when have multiple specials active simultaneously will more or less just devour everyone. And I've often seen hordes of skirmishers who swarm stragglers or keg groups of enemies who eventually clear out servers in the long run.

Point is, it doesn't matter what team is full of strong players, it's not a game flaw. It's up to the players themselves to see sense and try to even the odds out by joining other teams if possible, that's at least what I try to do.

signatureopaquesmall.png

All classes are balanced one way or the other, you'll just find in LTS game modes the player racking up the most kills is most commonly going to be an archer; as its easy to take advantage of their heavy ranged damage in such open maps. In other maps its harder to achieve that advantage.
    Correctly said, so then I wonder why arena is the most popular map to play on, if it favors good archers? :D

signatureopaquesmall.png

• simiussimius Senior
    edited March 2013
    Sometimes I'd like the players to play smarter as they actually do to maximize their chances of winning. If the archers are dominating on arena viks and pirates should focus on killing them first. When they don't it can get.. pointless just like playing booty with two teams playing dm only.
    And if you're the last man standing of the viking team you don't want to use your special on the last heavy if there are 5 pirates left (lts map obviously). Blind actions like that might cause you to think there was something unbalanced going on, I reckon

() edit
    Well its very easy to solo-manipulate public servers in LTS as a class that can hit hard at any range. Usually it takes 2-4 rounds before the public as a whole gets the point and prioritize their targets unless people rally the server on mic or chat.
  • simiussimius Senior
    You gotta utilize the games potential of balancing itself by playing clever. Well, not the game balances itself, the players balance it - and sometimes they don't.
    If you don't you either don't know what you are doing (so you basically won't play a very big role after all) or you are raging or trolling or something.