DM_FoursideDept_B1

KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing PersonSenior
edited July 2011 in Community Maps
Fourside Department Store from EB/Mother 2
Earthbound's very own Fourside Dept. Store has arrived to PVK2! http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/155487 GEN.Watson|HV| and I finally cranked this map out

~~~~~~~~~Update! B2 is out as of 7/3/2011~~~~~~~~~~~
--Stairs act as teleporters now to reduce the lag significantly (least until I can find out why they were doing it previously). So far with 9 people it hasn't caused lag when 6 people was the threshold in B1.
--Few sounds were raised higher in volume.
--Darkness begins a little earlier now.
--The credits room allows admins with noclip to turn on the Darkness when they choose. They must press the Use key on either kokoronokawari or watson texture. May take a few tries as you need to be really close to the texture.

Read below the screenshots for important information

There are some things I need to mention before you dive into the map.

~General~

* Fourside Dept. Store layout like in Earthbound,
--NPCs from Earthbound included
--Store music from Earthbound but set low
--Other sounds from Earthbound such as doors opening/closing, picking up items, etc

* Spawns are in the outer rooms of the floors
--Vikings 4th floor
--Knights 3rd floor
--Pirates 2nd floor
--Doors only open from one side to prevent spawn camping

* Escalator stairs only allow you to go in the direction the arrows are facing, i.e you can only go up on "up" stairs and vice versa (may be edited in the future)

* Items are placed in areas respective to their shops (Food at Burger place, etc); be sure to check out the Returns desk

~Darkness~

* Occurs after a set range of time

* Area darkens

* NPCs disappear

* New music plays from the game, more audible than the store music to set a spooky atmosphere

* Creatures appear during the Darkness
--Two mobs per floor, standing on certain spots on their respective floor will have the mob move towards it
--Mobs have push back and do damage when touched

* Dept. Store Spook appears
--Appears the moment the Darkness occurs and runs to the top floor, players can not move during this moment (3 seconds)
--Spook will walk down each floor after certain conditions are met
--If touched by Spook, an unpleasant event will happen to the player
--When Spook reaches the 1st floor and exits the building, the Darkness is over and the lights and NPCs return, resetting the Darkness timer to reoccur

~Things I would've liked...~

* A custom death picture for Spook next to the player's name (like a tentacle)

* A functional escalator that doesn't lag the game (impossible with near max entdata)

* A form of anti-range to not shoot up or down the escalator stairs

* Some further cleaning

~Credits~

* Kokoronokawari
--Overall map design
--Custom textures
--Custom sounds
--Outlining and overseeing "Darkness"

* GEN.WATSON|HV|
--"Darkness" mode creation
--Custom textures
--Bookcase model
--Cleaning up of map (fixes, placing sounds)

* Lhorkan
--Helping and guiding with first version of escalator to model for later ones (sadly downgraded due to lag problems ;_;)

* Lonesoldier
--Custom textures
--Play tester

* Tschoppo
--Overhead blueprint of map

* Geo Indo
--Play tester

* Shigesato Itoi
--Creating Earthbound and the Mother series

Map based off here
http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound/...store_light.png

Darkness based off here at 1:46

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
"I like axes"
--kokoronokawari
loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

Comments

• LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    edited 4:45AM
    Those escalators turned out pretty neat. biggrin.gif
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Jan 4 2011, 11:19 PM) »

dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • Gen.WatsonHVGen.WatsonHV Senior
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Jan 4 2011, 03:19 PM) »

• MasonMason Senior
    QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Jan 4 2011, 05:19 PM) »

• QUOTE (Lhorkan @ Jan 4 2011, 05:19 PM) »

• ADRIEN BRODYADRIEN BRODY Senior
    That elevator turned out pretty great!
    QUOTE (ADRIEN BRODY @ Jan 4 2011, 07:45 PM) »
    That elevator turned out pretty great!

: /
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Interesting.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
  • GourdainGourdain Senior
    So what are they escalators mechanics? Be It a trigger push?
    Gourdain the guardian!
  • LhorkanLhorkan PVKII Team, Senior
    44 func_tracktrains.
    dragonattacksig03-1.png
    Ouch.
    Gourdain the guardian!
  • LoneSoldierLoneSoldier Senior
    Nice job koko biggrin.gif
    sig3d.png
    Join the Club
    QUOTE (Gourdain @ Jan 5 2011, 04:10 PM) »
    Ouch.

Don't you mean Cool?
    Define cool.
    Gourdain the guardian!
    QUOTE (Gourdain @ Jan 5 2011, 07:42 PM) »
    Define cool.

Cool, something that stands out that you find amusement in.

Why did you say "Ouch."? That it must have taken a while to do? That it is a waste of time because you know of a better way? That it is not worth going through the trouble to make something like this?
    I think you meant to say cool, because you knew that it would be difficult to do in hammer but it has been achieved and is shown right here in a video.

Saying something Like ouch is quite vague and needs elaboration.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited January 2011
    I could be wrong but I think he meant ouch as in it was a lot of tracktrains meaning the ordeal was long and painful or something =x

Floors are more or less done including outer rooms. Took 4 hours to learn how to cut and make doors lol...
    Mostly missing custom textures (main floor texture done thanks to LoneSoldier biggrin.gif) and the objects to place and the objects to place. Was suggested to brush out most of those but not sure if I'll be able to handle it over doing the cheap 2d-3d trick like some grass objects do. Also trying to figure out what to do with the empty space under each floor since in the picture it's just darkness.

May not seem like much but slowly and surely... I like it !

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

• edited 4:45AM
    QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Jan 5 2011, 09:51 PM) »
    Cool, something that stands out that you find amusement in.

Why did you say "Ouch."? That it must have taken a while to do? That it is a waste of time because you know of a better way? That it is not worth going through the trouble to make something like this?
    I think you meant to say cool, because you knew that it would be difficult to do in hammer but it has been achieved and is shown right here in a video.

Saying something Like ouch is quite vague and needs elaboration.

te_railroad has at least 400 func_tracktrains
  • LoneSoldierLoneSoldier Senior
    QUOTE (KOKORONOKAWARI @ Jan 5 2011, 07:30 PM) »
    I could be wrong but I think he meant ouch as in it was a lot of tracktrains meaning the ordeal was long and painful or something =x

Floors are more or less done including outer rooms. Took 4 hours to learn how to cut and make doors lol...
    Mostly missing custom textures (main floor texture done thanks to LoneSoldier biggrin.gif)

t'was no problem koko puffs
    thanks for giving me credit biggrin.gif
    sig3d.png
    Join the Club
  • TschoppoTschoppo the choppin´ Senior
    edited January 2011
    "Also trying to figure out what to do with the empty space under each floor since in the picture it's just darkness."

just leave it the void like it is in the original, seal the rooms and i think the layout is very cool although its from a 2d game biggrin.gif

oh and trinket wars would fit very well to this map

and boom. if it ends in the quality of this it would be perfect

this one even greater

this guy even got the textures out of the game while running it on an emulator

slugsig.jpg

edited January 2011
    What the hell that is amazing! It looked a lot better than I expected when I saw the title. I feel better now with the thought of making this in that way without doing some poor attempt at brushwork. Sure it was done from a higher angle but XD Would work since many of the textures will be against the wall while some others like the table can be that 2d-3d effect that follows your view. Prolly the worse ones to deal with would be the toys.

Second video was just pretty to see, would've been nice if I could have some brushwork skill at that =x The ghost at the end was pretty wicked, I had considered to have the boss of fourside dept from the game walk around like that hurting people he touches if I was able to do the whole "lights out" (obviously not the same thing in source) thing like it did in the game. Or more mobs following a path or triggered areas they walk to based on an area you walk over /shrug making that creepy sound when the lights went out in the video... fack going to be hard to sleep now XD

Oh damn forgot about the shaping of the corners and parts of the walls with those strange bumps... frahhh, rather stress out about the custom texturing for now >_>

As for the darkness thing under the floors, maybe I am not picturing it right but it isn't that simple because of the escalator's presence. The entire area around the escalators, under it, and behind it, would have to be covered while having the escalators as the only exposed part. Not sure if that is possible =x

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

it is wink.gif just close it up with brushes and you will have a escalator tunnel to the next room

slugsig.jpg

Yea, do a tunnel for the escalators, maybe made out of glass.
    to take a look into the void!?

If you need help with brushwork, thats the only thing i´m good at tongue.gif

slugsig.jpg

• L4teniusL4tenius The Monkeyhandler Senior
    edited January 2011
    Cool. Really cool.

E:The pokemon videos.
    <
    FEAR THE MONKEY
    QUOTE (Tschoppo @ Jan 6 2011, 06:10 AM) »
    to take a look into the void!?

If you need help with brushwork, thats the only thing i´m good at tongue.gif

I'd prolly need to put something at the exit to prevent people from just arrow spamming it =o
    But yes, any help would be super apperciated! It helps me to learn more too XD

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

QUOTE (Wizard of Distortion @ Jan 5 2011, 10:17 PM) »
    te_railroad has at least 400 func_tracktrains

path_tracks?
    edited January 2011
    Hey everyone, bit of a late update on the forum but wanted to show more when I could. Had several issues with in regards to the escalator and the side rails but everything seems good. Rest of the map is coming together quickly now.

Heres a video of what I have so far. FPS drop is because of the recording program and not the map.

Decided to open a rom of the game with a savefile and screenshot the screen to get the sprites not available online. Sadly, I found out the hard way that the original size of the picture determines how it looks as a sprite. Hurt the quality a little on the table. Not sure why some of the tables overlap the other or if there is a way to stand on them.

Thanks for all the help thus far from much of the PVK2 community to list at this moment XD

Edit: Just in case anyone asks about the choice of colors on the side rails
    http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound/...store_light.png

Edit 2: Looks like I may need to have the escalators all be one path each floor, such as when going up it'll go left and also go down (under the floor as it transistions) to cut the trains in half. Hopefully that'll be enough to fix any "In" / fps / ping issues after a dry run we did earlier. Currently it's 44 trains (each step) per escalator and theres 6 escalators, 264 will become 132 around that.
    Any idea if there's a number to avoid going over?

"I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari

• edited January 2011
    QUOTE (KOKORONOKAWARI @ Jan 8 2011, 11:22 PM) »
    Edit 2: Getting some concern regarding the "in" skyrocketting in the net_graph, possible reason/fix?

I can't believe out of all the talented mappers and testers here I'm the only one that brought this up to him after his long hours of work.

Too many entities moving in PVKII 2.3 and above (Orange Box Engine) will cause an overflow of "out" packets from the server and "in" packets to the client. Most game servers will only hold about 20 kb/s out to a single client and this results in a lag. This map is hovering around 3200 packets in per second, which isn't yet breaking the record currently held by pvk_gravedanger (about 4500) but it's way over the ~600 mark you need to stay lag free.

More than a few func_tracktrains is bad...have all the track_paths you want, but if you want your map playable I'd limit the amount of trains to about five to ten...and not 134, koko.

We just tried to playtest the map hosted on my game server and my server was hitting the 20 kb/s cap instantly. Pings were in the 200-250 range, while I usually get about 30 on my server in a map without moving entities.
    edited January 2011
    QUOTE (The Village Idiot @ Jan 8 2011, 11:08 PM) »
    More than a few func_tracktrains is bad...have all the track_paths you want, but if you want your map playable I'd limit the amount of trains to about five to ten...and not 134, koko.

Wrong!! I would say no than 50 (edit:) track trains!!! Common, there is quite a big difference between 5-10 track trains to 134 track trains.

But yea, its super laggy on his map, so I just gave koko a suggestion that would eliminate about half of his path tracks, and we will see how bad it is from there.
  • edited January 2011
    QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Jan 9 2011, 01:27 AM) »
    Wrong!! I would say no than 50 path tracks!!! Common, there is quite a big difference between 5-10 track trains to 134 track trains.

But yea, its super laggy on his map, so I just gave koko a suggestion that would eliminate about half of his path tracks, and we will see how bad it is from there.

Wizard's te_railroad has over 400 path tracks (so his train can go around the whole map), but only one track train for each section of the train. It's playable (fighting on the train is a pita though) and doesn't induce lag on the whole server. For something as simple as riding an escalator, it would be playable for the rest of the map.

path_tracks ≠ func_tracktrains

My suggestion was to merge each step with each other, create one large entity with many faces...make the whole thing one track train. Then you'd only need three of these large entities with many faces to rotate with each other under the map.

That reduces the amount to 18 func_tracktrains, though he needs to make sure he doesn't run over the face limit or the map will break.