bt_CustomBaseSurvival

Gen.WatsonHVGen.WatsonHV Senior
edited November 2010 in Community Maps
More Action! Better GamePlay!!
Here is my map. bt_CustomBaseSurvival_B3 (Beta 3 Released)

NOTE: Release notes for B3 are in this thread.
NOTE: Release notes for B2 are in this thread.

Servers Currently Hosting This Map
Slammin Butt Pirates #1 CUSTOM|RTV|FASTDL
DARK-AGES SERVER
The Village Idiot's Loony Bin |CUSTOM|RTV|FASTDL|

Changes for Booty Game Mode: (B1 Version)

There are 4 Chests. Each base gets 1 chest, and the Hot Lava Arena in the middle has the fourth chest.
There is no Mini Game, and no outer shell.
When a base gets all four chests, players will have 10 seconds to try to take one of the chests out of that base before the round ends.

1. Carve your base, making it into whatever you want.
You have 90 Seconds to carve your base. Break the blocks into any pattern you desire, making long mazes, rooms, traps, obstacles, but as everyone knows it can be ruined by a griefer on your team. (Hope the admins are on) Each base has 210 breakable blocks. The top row of breakable blocks are a bit bigger than the other ones, just know that the ones on the top are textured differently so you know ahead of time that your breaking a top breakable that's big.
(I'm at the maximum number of entities being spawned in the map) There are force fields up, preventing deaths and forcing players to spend time on the base making. The force fields go away when the round starts. The breakable block's health is 50, and when the carving session ends, the health becomes 1500.

2. Place your chest in your base.
After the carving, you get 15 seconds to place your teams chest inside the base you made before the round starts.

3. Know your team's feature for the round.

The 3 Features
After the carving session ends, each base gets one of the three features randomly for that round. No base can have another base's feature on the same round.

A. The Ship - A ship that can go to each base on the water and Will break bridges on impact. The ship will meet the team on the side of the team's floating island, and when the middle button is pressed, it will go to the water circle for operation. There are 7 Buttons in the ship. 4 Buttons for operating the doors, 2 buttons for setting destinations and 1 button that goes away when pressed, which is pressed when everyone on the team is ready for it to be placed on the water circle. Each ship has a color on the top representing the team who received the ship. After a bridge is broken, players can either jump the gap or go through the water to the other side. The water hurts, but not a lot, and stay afloat (Hold Spacebar) or get sucked down and die! The ship's doors can be opened on the outside.

B. The Cannons - Two Cannons on each side of the base that will launch you to the middle ground. At least one of the two cannons can launch you on top of the circular building in the middle. Tip: Only press W and look in the direction that the cannon is pointed in order to use them correctly.

C. The Tunnel - An underground tunnel that leads from the base to the middle ground inside which is the Hot Lava Arena. A ladder will appear at the back of your floating island which leads to the start of the tunnel, that leads to the Hot Lava Arena.Players from the Hot Lava Arena can go in any tunnel using a ladder. One bad thing about the tunnel is that it is a long straight narrow tunnel, which can lead to arrows of death.

4. Play the map
Play the map and try to get all chests in your base!
In the middle there is a circular building that you can go into from the top using one of the four stair cases going around it. There are 3 floors in the building, all connected by ladders.
The top floor is hollow and has nothing in it, just some health and armor.
The 2nd floor has a platform and stairs, the 3rd floor has more stairs and the ladder that goes down to the Hot Lava Arena. The Hot Lava Arena has a chest inside of it.

Time Information
Carving
90 seconds long
Placing Your Chest-15 seconds long
When a Base Has All Chests-10 seconds long

This map is 20.9MB after a fast compile.
Also the fall damage is disabled.

Known Problems with my map.
Sometimes sounds wont stop playing.
Safety is not guaranteed when using The Cannons.
Ladders can't be killed.
Sometimes Text Messages won't display correctly.
The Breakable Blocks can sometimes stuck people.

Now if your confused on how to play it, watch my video walk-through of my map. (LTS Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kpl1e0Q9QA&fmt=35

Last Team Standing Version

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=11148

Comments

• Gen.WatsonHVGen.WatsonHV Senior
    edited 4:37AM
    Here is the to do list for bt_CustomBaseSurvival_B2.

1. Fix the unlimited time, either make the tickets low enough to win using them, or have a timer set up at 12.5 minutes per round, and when the time is up, the team with most chests win, which then I need 1 less chest.
    2. Remove the Chest in the middle.
    3. Fix the Water.
    4. Fix the explosive barrel mistaken for a chest glitch.
  • Blood-WiperBlood-Wiper Vicious Psycho Banned
    Did you use a better lava texture?
    Little bit banned
    QUOTE (Blood-Wiper @ Oct 24 2010, 08:23 AM) »
    Did you use a better lava texture?

No.
    Why? it's not that hard and pvk ii comes with a great selection of lava textures.
    Little bit banned
  • Mr. UnicornMr. Unicorn Bear-O-Dactyl Senior
    The water. Is it supposed to drown you every time you try to swim, or is that just a glitch?
    QUOTE (Nagzar The Zerker @ Jan 30 2011, 01:11 AM) »
    I am smoking logic.

QUOTE (The Ghost of Mr Unicorn @ Oct 24 2010, 03:19 PM) »
    The water. Is it supposed to drown you every time you try to swim, or is that just a glitch?

It was supposed to kill you if you go underneath the water. For now, hold the spacebar when in the water. I will be changing this later, "3. Fix the Water."
    Gen.WatsonHV wrote on Oct 25 2010, 03:05 PM:

For now, hold the spacebar when in the water.
    I never thought of that.
    I am smoking logic.

• PaladinPaladin Senior
    Beta 4 of this version is on the slammin butt pirates server, so you should update your first post with the link from Beta 1 to Beta 4.
    2v2z7rr.jpg
    There is not a Beta 4 version, it does not exist yet. There is a Beta 4 for the LTS version of this map.
    edited November 2010
    Beta 2 is ready to be released.

Patch Notes for bt_CustomBaseSurvival_B2

1. Fixed the water. It still hurts the player, but it won't let you go down to the obis, saving your life.
    2. Added the option to end the game with tickets. Each team gets 330 tickets.
    3. Another attempt for trying to fix the Overflow issue that disconnects users and can also break the game. This one should fix it this time!!
    4. Had to take away blocks for each base. It is now 5x5x5. Each base now has 125 blocks.
    5. Added sprites to the middle chest.
    6. Added game texts.
    7. Moved the door buttons higher in the boats, making it easier to open on the outside.
    8. Edited the beginning force fields.
    9. Spaced out the team player respawning. Every time you respawn, inside the glass cube, you will go towards the combine ball in the middle to spawn into the map. The minimum wait time between each teleport = 6 seconds.
    10. Added in debris from any broken bridges, causing to make it a safe path to go across after the boat breaks a bridge.
    11. Added my first secret!
    12. The bases are now 15% bigger.
  • ADRIEN BRODYADRIEN BRODY Senior
    I really hope this version gets more play than the non-booty one. Not near enough fighting in that one, and it's played CONSTANTLY. When I see it come up in the map vote, I want to cry.
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Fix that horrid forcefield texture aswell. How about turning it 90 degrees and making it 'fit'.
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    Well, what I originally wanted was for there to be a lot of white waves, and not a couple big ones. But I guess it does look better.

And also, why does sprites/blueglow2.vmt work when I'm testing it by myself but not when I'm testing it with other people? If it's custom, where would I find it?
    Textures are .vmt?
    Little bit banned
  • LordTrilobiteLordTrilobite Baron Grunwald disapproves. Senior
    Textures are .vtf
    dragonattack_sig.jpg
    The biggest problem I've faced with this map is when someone just digs a hole straight from the top to the bottom using ranged weapons, to throw their chest in. It's nearly impossible to get their chests when they throw them in!
    I am smoking logic.

Deal with it, it's all strategy.
    Little bit banned
    QUOTE (Blood-Wiper @ Nov 8 2010, 06:40 PM) »
    Deal with it, it's all strategy.

Wow, for once, your right.

And I copied and pasted the sprites/blueglow2.vmt text from hammer, so yea, don't debate the filename, how about helping me out!
    A strategy shouldn't ruin the game. Have fun trying to win when you have to dig through multiple seemingly unbreakable blocks while being attacked from all sides by rapidly spawning enemies. Get three teams doing this and nothing ever gets done. Makes the map very boring, and frustrating to play.
    I am smoking logic.

Fail #2 unicorn. Read the posts above.

"2. Added the option to end the game with tickets. Each team gets 330 tickets."

So don't complain if it's already fixed!

Also, You should try attacking a base with more than just yourself so that you can break the blocks quicker, and no more than 2 blocks need to be broken in order to reach a chest.
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    Baha glad people are using the tactic I started when the map came out and I freaked to you about it Watson XD

Sadly, teammates were dumb many times and ruined the pit but is a great staller though cheap

I still don't like the thought of the forcefield in Booty (it's fine for LTS). Kinda bothersome to see one job get this but the others are ok. I remember you suggested putting forcefields for everyone to "even" it but it hurts archer a lot more than others. Archers are still good in LTS but Knights have problems in Booty compared to the other teams (outside of stacking Knights) forcing the Knights to be at the bottom of their base. It's like theres no point of them having one if they can't use their base for anything but a pit (assuming they made one). Dependent on HKs to be at the top to take them out.

In the end though I am not expecting a change for the forcefield, the main concern was allowing a normal win condition outside of 4 chests and fixing the bugs where the map breaks but I don't have to tell you that Watsy XD Very least LTS works fine outside the error when the map loads and the occasional person that gets kicked in the middle of the map due to the same error.

Any plans for just a normal deathmatch one? I suppose the main problem with it is lack of cycling what each team gets (boat etc) and if the base gets f'ed up unless there was a way to reset it in a deathmatch without it being LTS (doubt it but what do I know)

--kokoronokawari

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

QUOTE (Meian @ Nov 8 2010, 11:53 PM) »
    Baha glad people are using the tactic I started when the map came out and I freaked to you about it Watson XD

Sadly, teammates were dumb many times and ruined the pit but is a great staller though cheap

I still don't like the thought of the forcefield in Booty (it's fine for LTS). Kinda bothersome to see one job get this but the others are ok. I remember you suggested putting forcefields for everyone to "even" it but it hurts archer a lot more than others. Archers are still good in LTS but Knights have problems in Booty compared to the other teams (outside of stacking Knights) forcing the Knights to be at the bottom of their base. It's like theres no point of them having one if they can't use their base for anything but a pit (assuming they made one). Dependent on HKs to be at the top to take them out.

In the end though I am not expecting a change for the forcefield, the main concern was allowing a normal win condition outside of 4 chests and fixing the bugs where the map breaks but I don't have to tell you that Watsy XD Very least LTS works fine outside the error when the map loads and the occasional person that gets kicked in the middle of the map due to the same error.

Any plans for just a normal deathmatch one? I suppose the main problem with it is lack of cycling what each team gets (boat etc) and if the base gets f'ed up unless there was a way to reset it in a deathmatch without it being LTS (doubt it but what do I know)

--kokoronokawari

Thanks for the feedback.
    For the LTS version, I plan to release one more version fixing up the errors that I plan to fix in the BT version.

And yes, deathmatch will be made for my map. Here's what I had in mind. Each base gets the cannons and each base gets a tunnel. The boat is constantly moving around the water and I'll change the way players get across the water.

Now all I have to do is get these damn sprites working in my map!!
  • KOKORONOKAWARIKOKORONOKAWARI Funny Little Japanese Drawing Person Senior
    edited November 2010
    Oh right I forgot about the freaking bridge in Booty loves to sometimes not let me get out of the water but in LTS its usually fine ... least you got it now XD

--kokoronokawari

Nichi2EditCROP_zpscolnflbv.gifKarenPirate1Crop_zps5ccbfa57.gifNichi1CROP_zpspr3i3epd.gif
    http://steamcommunit...m/groups/aclans Join and be pro today!

10402520_1443600839260675_3566335342614205908_nRESIZE_zpsf8423ece.jpg
    output_6Dn6Cs_zpse8ae5afc.gif
    tumblr_mq1t1bZGDA1r30985o1_400_zps948e174a.gif
    tumblr_mviov3cTGP1r8bshso1_500_zpsbada721a.gif
    "I like axes"
    --kokoronokawari
    loli loli loli loli loli loli loli loli

• anemoneanemone Senior
    chest map - useless. last team standing - fun.
    casper.s2

kinship is open for boarding,

sign the board and let flotsam become .s2

http://forums.pvkii.com/index.php?showtopic=12155

the uncurstable; the untouchable— alliance, coalition, syndicate, kinfolks.... coterie

s2 'You'
    QUOTE (anemone @ Nov 9 2010, 01:06 PM) »
    chest map - useless. last team standing - fun.

Please explain and elaborate!
    Look, this is a great idea. I really loved the idea, it just doesn't work right.
    I am smoking logic.

QUOTE (Sir Unicorn @ Nov 9 2010, 01:57 PM) »
    Look, this is a great idea. I really loved the idea, it just doesn't work right.

QUOTE (Gen.WatsonHV @ Nov 9 2010, 04:35 PM) »

Gladly.

The idea of building your own base sounds awesome! I love the idea it should make everything so much more interesting. Here's the problem. Trying to get everyone on your team to share your ideal vision of a base, it's next to impossible. Ever try to get 6 different people with 6 different plans to work together on 1 project when there is absolutely nothing at stake? It's, as mentioned above, next to impossible. If a team manages to find a way to work together (mine never seems to be able to) they typically just dig a hole in the center of their base which they throw their chest into, then they grab one of the chests from the other team and throw it into the pit. Want to try to get that chest? Good luck. You have to kill their entire time multiple times over, while trying to break the blocks to get to their pit. This is terrible to say the least. Even if you get your entire team to attack all at once (an incredibly rare occasion) their team just spawns around you! It's so frustrating to kill their team, start attacking the blocks just to be jumped by their freshly spawned team. It's a great idea, it just doesn't work.
    I am smoking logic.

How about a mini-game to see who gets to carve the base.
    Little bit banned
    Anyways how do end the game with tickits?
    Little bit banned