pvk_EasterIsland

Comments

• CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    edited 5:12AM
    Algae look like it just need some normal mapping.

CrazyBump is a great tool to do that.
  • smokeythebearsmokeythebear Senior
    edited March 2009
    QUOTE (CrackaPolly @ Mar 9 2009, 05:02 PM) »
    Algae look like it just need some normal mapping.

CrazyBump is a great tool to do that.

I gave crazybump a try, it's pretty cool but I'm going to either make the normal in max or by editing the diffuse in PS a whole lot before putting it through.

Nothing to show for an update right now. Working on a few large areas but haven't got to the stage of lighting them yet.

edit*

nvm I played around in crazybump a bit more, seems like the way to go smile.gif
    Ok went back and redid some normal maps as well as the blend modulate texture so I can clean up areas where the moss gets blurred out much more easily.

• JervanJervan Senior
    Wow, that's looking really good!
  • Scurvy BobScurvy Bob senior
    awesome
    this mapping competition was a great idea
    Quick question:

Is there to convert -> export brushes as models? It really helps me get everything the correct size especially when doing detail trim work.
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    well I dont know about 3dsmax but its possible with XSI. So if I where you id google a vmf importer plugin for 3dsmax.
    QUOTE (kow75 @ Mar 11 2009, 12:08 AM) »
    well I dont know about 3dsmax but its possible with XSI. So if I where you id google a vmf importer plugin for 3dsmax.

Wow it was much easier then I thought it would be, just export and that's it, I assumed I would have to get at least 10 or so plugins/apps tongue.gif

Thanks for your help, for the QC tutorial as well.
  • HarliefHarlief Baby get Shakey after school Senior
    My god, that's increedible!
    imageimage
    edited March 2009
    Some stuff I'm working on this morning
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    You're defenitly going to win the Eye-candy prize!
    And the prize is a big fan of your map:

ME
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
  • wILLI wONKAwILLI wONKA Senior
    QUOTE (Z!nuX @ Mar 14 2009, 11:50 AM) »
    You're defenitly going to win the Eye-candy prize!
    And the prize is a big fan of your map:

ME

..Me too sad.gif
    Wonka chocolate is better than secks.

QUOTE (Rock'N Roll Jesus @ Mar 21 2009, 01:43 AM) »
    The archer either gets cut into peices by the zerk, or picked off by the skirmishers. The Archer needs something more than a Toy's R Us butterknife.

• pleasefpleasef Senior
    edited 5:13AM
    It's cool, but the HDR is killing me.
    REAL POLL THIS TIME
  • wILLI wONKAwILLI wONKA Senior
    QUOTE (notoorjus @ Mar 16 2009, 03:47 PM) »
    It's cool, but the HDR is killing me.

Only half of that HDR would be cool (y) (biggrin.gif)
    Wonka chocolate is better than secks.

QUOTE (Rock'N Roll Jesus @ Mar 21 2009, 01:43 AM) »
    The archer either gets cut into peices by the zerk, or picked off by the skirmishers. The Archer needs something more than a Toy's R Us butterknife.

Updated the OP with some new pics.

Stone head's texture isn't great but you get the idea.
  • ZinuXZinuX Mutated Walrus Hamster Members, Beta Tester
    I like the stone head texture, but if you can improve it, do it.
    dragonattacksig04.pngrage.jpg
    Quick questions. Under what conditions do skyboxes occlude geometry behind them? And is it ok to have skyboxes between playable areas?
  • MasonMason Senior
    As far as I know it is reasonable to have skyboxes between playable areas.
    I got an error when compiling a model that I never got before...

WARNING: Bad collision mode, check your smoothing groups!!!
    WARNING: Truncating model!!!!
    WARNING: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\HL2export\trim1.smd has bad smoothing groups

I've checked and rechecked the qc file, the texture files, the model itself is just some basic trim and very simple. When I look at the model ingame the texture is completely broken.
    Ok ive tried using a different model for collision, compiled without errors but the texture is still messed up. I then tried importing into UED just to see if I somehow messed up the model but it looked fine. I'm giving up on it now, it's not that the model was important or anything. If the same thing happens on a model I spend a lot of effort on I'm completely f*ked so I still hope to figure out what went wrong.
  • kow75kow75 Senior
    okay what that means is you made a collision model to complex.

The collision model needs to be basic boxes and cylinders.

Some times its best not to merge the blocks that make up the models collision phys box.

Another thing is check the phys box and models Geometry Approximation and make sure angels is turned off.
    In XSI default is 60, in 3dsmax I forgot what it was.
  • CrackaPollyCrackaPolly PVKII Team, Authorized Creator
    You can also export to DXF and import in to MAX
    edited April 2009
    A few questions.

Can I set blocking volumes to block different classes? Or is there any other kind of spawn protection available?
    So far Ive mostly made height drops to protect spawns, I was wondering if there was another way.
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (smokeythebear @ Apr 1 2009, 10:44 PM) »
    A few questions.

Can I set blocking volumes to block different classes? Or is there any other kind of spawn protection available?
    So far Ive mostly made height drops to protect spawns, I was wondering if there was another way.

I'm also wonder sometimes why when I try to it for some props it doesn't work...?

I fail to understand the second question...

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

Sorry I fail at doing anything when I'm tired, I'll try again ^ ^

Certain props wont mirror/flip resulting in me having to go into max and making a duplicate prop. I was wondering if there was a way to fix this.
  • TheMoonTheMoon Senior
    I dont think you can flip models, just like you cant rescale them... ob engine has prop_scalable, might be able to mirror by scaling with -1 on an axis... only a solution from 2.3 on though.
    As to spawn protection, you could set up damagefilters for the players in the spawn, meaning they couldnt be harmed by other teams. Or, even simpler, set up a trigger to either kill players that dont belong there or teleport them back to their respective base
  • schatzmeisterschatzmeister PVKII Team, Beta Tester
    QUOTE (TheMoon @ Apr 2 2009, 10:13 AM) »
    I dont think you can flip models, just like you cant rescale them... ob engine has prop_scalable, might be able to mirror by scaling with -1 on an axis... only a solution from 2.3 on though.
    As to spawn protection, you could set up damagefilters for the players in the spawn, meaning they couldnt be harmed by other teams. Or, even simpler, set up a trigger to either kill players that dont belong there or teleport them back to their respective base

This is possible but I always consider those solutions as kinda arkward... and to an extend, exploitable.

Will Turner: You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement. In a fair fight, I'd kill you.
    Jack Sparrow: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?

edited April 2009
    I'm having an odd problem. I need a normal map to have an alpha map for a specular map, but for some reason the alpha map doesn't save with the vtf plugin. I've tried a few different settings and formats, but nothing is working so far.

ty in advance for help

*nvm figured it out*
    Maps done.

Going to do as much detailing as possible in the next 2days and maybe make a 3d skybox.

I learned so much when making this map it's ridiculous. I'm glad I got back into mapping, it's been over a year since I released a map happy.gif
    edited April 2009
    Just read contest page.

Once all maps are in, the PVKII team will go through them and pick the best ones from each category. Picks will be based on Appearance, Balance, Creativity, Optimization and Fun.

Unless the other mappers are carving spheres with concave brushes then I'm already down 1.

:lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
This discussion has been closed.