pvk_portucale

BrigandSkunkBrigandSkunk Senior
edited March 2009 in Community Maps
Reclaim & control the Castle
pvk_portucale, Description:

Viriathus (Leader of the Viking Party) was the most important leader of the Lusitanian people that resisted an expansion of an imperial army that tried to conquest the regions of Western Iberia, Viriathus was known for being the only leader who made many other clans from Iberia to fight against this imperial army and was also betrayed and killed, but after all he's back from the Halls of Valhalla to lead again his people to victory.
QUOTE (Diodorus Siculus)
For he was, as is agreed by all, valiant in dangers, prudent and careful in providing whatever was necessary, and that which was most considerable of all was, that whilst he commanded he was more beloved than ever any was before him.

Knights heard the news and left the castle to see for themselves that their true leader is alive, while Vikings are coming to the castle. Since a pirate vessel disappeared from their own age around the bermuda triangle (a natural time portal) after a huge naval battle, they just realize they went back in time once they landed and found a clan of vikings deep in land, they observed chased the vikings so they could plunder resources and food at the first village where the vikings stop at, because this was unknown ground and pirates were running out of food and were low on ammo. But after all the vikings are looking for trouble and to resolve old disputes, they want to take over control once again! A knight scout tells the lord about approaching enemies from south and east so they rush back to the castle to defend it.
QUOTE (Cassius Dio)
And, in fine, he carried on the war not for the sake of personal gain or power nor through anger, but for the sake of warlike deeds in themselves; hence he was accounted at once a lover of war and a master of war.

Objective Description:

The territory fight is placed inside of a 10th-century replica castle. Each team spawns will be away from the castle's walls and away of projectiles coming from castle, surrounded by hills and plains players will have to charge the way where they want to assault the castle. To get inside the castle there will be 3 functional ladders and 2 gates. The only way that players can start capturing the territory for their team score timer is by being around the keep/main tower (more exactly: the terrain within the castle's walls). I expect a huge fight for key points inside the walls, the castle can be fully controlled if the team keeps fighting and stopping enemies at the ladders.

[WIP]

19/02
I've finished building the gate and ladder control systems ; I'm also done with the sketching/blueprinting phase, and how it will look like for a balanced map.
So I got the blueprints to start mapping the castle.

---

27/2
All details on the castle wall and towers.

---

3/3
All details on the wall. (battlements)

---

6/3
Fixing details and some alignments around the wall and then I'm going to start with the stairs the stables and weapon smith or the stairs inside the the big tower.

BrigandSkunk

Comments

• MasonMason Senior
    edited 3:14AM
    Sounds very promising, excited to see some pictures.
  • BrigandSkunkBrigandSkunk Senior
    edited February 2009
    How do the ladder(s) and the gate(s) function, what kind of control over these movable paths players have:

The Ladder:

The player has to continuously press the wheel, if the ladder hasn't reached the wall and you stop pressing use on the wheel, then the ladder will fall down and return to original position. But if the ladder is fully opened than we will be able to climb the ladder and after some seconds we can press use on the ladder to push it down to the original starting position.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6400/2ndworld0005ue7.jpg
    http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1139/2ndworld0006gf2.jpg
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2266/2ndworld0007ic7.jpg

The Gate:

To open the gate works same way as the ladder players have to continuously press until it's completely opened to lock and stay opened, once it's opened we can push the lever that closes the gate (opening the gate while it's closing by using the lever will not able the wheel use to prevent the gate from closing).

... well, at least I tried to explain how they work, despite the fact... that's not the map where I'm going to use the ladder and the gate.
    edited February 2009
    And the news are .... I completed: the castle wall ; Bridge connecting wall to keep/main tower ; stairs to get on the wall, stairs to get on the 2 towers ; the floors of the keep and the 2 gate entrances.

here's a sneak view of what to expect about the castle wall design:

Once I get all the details on the castle wall and towers I'll post some in game screen shots.

Note: only the bridge is textured....
    edited March 2009
    The blueprint:

Once players are inside the castle walls, the areas where each team will show up in the territory at start (if the gates are opened):

1 - Vikings

2 - Knights

3 - Pirates
    Towers details complete, now I'm just completing the wall battlements, so hold on until I get it done so i can post some screen shots.

Until then get to know Guimar
    These are screen shots of towers brush work:

wall battlements complete! textures are still to come, everything I've been doing is brushwork, here is the castle:

icon_yay.gif
  • KrogothKrogoth Senior
    Very awesome, Keep up the good work!
  • MasonMason Senior
    I think that your walls should be tapered inwards, that will give it a more realistic look.
    QUOTE (Mason @ Mar 6 2009, 08:23 PM) »
    I think that your walls should be tapered inwards, that will give it a more realistic look.

If you are not flying all over the map, the castle has the correct perspectives with that realistic look. So the problem is the screen shot, don't worry ... the next screen shots will be with the feet on the ground.
    edited March 2009
    I've been optimizing some stuff and re textured everything besides the terrain because I haven't started yet with displacements. Still have build the stables and blacksmith + the stairs inside the centre tower.

this screen shot was taken: 12 of March 2009

I hope you like the new textures

note: no lighting and no displacements yet, remember that the castle is on elevated ground there are trees and rocks + the hills around. props only ladders, gates and architectural props around boors, so nothing else besides the castle itself.
This discussion has been closed.